Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: The first black president... [Re: Silversoul]
    #6471134 - 01/17/07 08:12 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

MushmanTheManic said:
Vote Libertarian.

I did that last time, but whenever I go back and look at Badnarik's speeches, I realize what a loon he was.  Maybe if they pick someone who isn't a nutjob, I'll consider it.

That isn't a nutjob?  :blush:

http://myspace.com/stanhope08
http://www.kubby2008.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: The first black president... [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #6471276 - 01/17/07 08:52 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I'd definitely support Stanhope. I'll have to look into this Kubby guy too.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: The first black president... [Re: Le_Canard]
    #6471280 - 01/17/07 08:53 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Barack Obama would be a much better president than Hillary Clinton, but I don't like either of them nearly as much as Kucinich.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: The first black president... [Re: Ravus]
    #6471340 - 01/17/07 09:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I want to see John Stewart from the Daily show run. He'd get my vote.

I'll tell you what the mystery behind Obamas "Charisma" is. He catches the attention of white people in the same way Carlton does on the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire. He doesn't fit the sterotype and that makes him captivating.

I don't care if a qualified black gets in or any other qualified woman besides Hilary. Most of the world sees a monkey in our Head of State Office now and the globe already has blacks and female National Heads of State so its nothing new to the planet.

In the next election, I just care that one of the qualifications that gets someone bogusly elected isn't being a member of the Skulls and Bones. :lol:

:peace: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: The first black president... [Re: Silversoul]
    #6471478 - 01/17/07 09:38 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Kubby is a total pothead. :lol:

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: The first black president... [Re: phi1618]
    #6472870 - 01/18/07 10:31 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:
This is a fairly common attitute, for a number of reasons.

It might sound stupid, but as a Democrat, I support Obama because he's charismatic. If nominated, he's likely to get elected, and if elected, he's likely to be effective. Now, this is still early speculation, but that's my first impression.

His positions are a bit classical-liberal for my taste, but that's not really what I'm voting on. If the last 6 years carry a lesson, it's that you play the system as it exists.

Sure, I don't really like everything the Democrats stand for, but the Republicans have really pissed me off. I'd rather attempt to influence the nation's politics by supporting the Democrats and indirectly by influencing the Democrats' platform than try (and fail) to find some third party or politician that already stands for what I believe in.

:thumbup:

Quote:

The President in particular is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it.
--The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, p.34

:smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: The first black president... [Re: trendal]
    #6472985 - 01/18/07 11:06 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I received the following email today entitled, 'Let Us Remain Alert'. I am sure thousands of people are reading the same or similar email.

"Probable U S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black Muslim from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white atheist from Wichita, Kansas. Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii.

When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a radical Muslim from Indonesia. When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocated to Indonesia. Obama attended a Muslim school in Jakarta. He also spent two years in a Catholic school.

Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, “He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school.”

Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that Obama's introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education. Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama’s mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Osama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta. Wahabism is the radical teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world.

Since it is politically expedient to be a Christian when seeking major public office in the United States, Barack Hussein Obama has joined the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background.

Let us all remain alert concerning Obama’s expected presidential candidacy."

Comments?

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: The first black president... [Re: zorbman]
    #6473001 - 01/18/07 11:10 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I received an advertisement for a pill that will make my cock twice the size it is now in my e-mail today.

Does that make it true?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: The first black president... [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #6473018 - 01/18/07 11:14 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Note that I did not say the allegations stated in the email were accurate. Just that I received it as a FWD and this is a good example of the sort of whisper campaign that gets started when there is a threat to the status quo in Washington.

During John McCain's presidential run in 2000 thousands of anonymous phone calls were placed in South Carolina spreading rumors that McCain had a black baby. He lost his lead in the race soon after and George W. Bush was the beneficiary.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinepokermush
Waterboardingmyself toprotect America!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Utah
    #6473457 - 01/18/07 01:35 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

If I had to pick between the two, I would prefer Hillary to Obama. I think you are mistaken when you think Obama is more electable.

What would change that for me is if Obama made a complete overhaul of the "war on drugs" a top campaign issue. That would change my vote from Republican, and I suspect that if a Republican candidate did the same, most here would vote Rupublican, right?

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
Re: The first black president... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #6473539 - 01/18/07 01:59 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

jiggy said: "I'll tell you what the mystery behind Obamas "Charisma" is. He catches the attention of white people in the same way Carlton does on the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire. He doesn't fit the sterotype and that makes him captivating."

of course it has nothing to do with what the man says, right?  or his personality?  his intelligence? 

:tongue:

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: The first black president... [Re: pokermush]
    #6473561 - 01/18/07 02:04 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pokermush said:
If I had to pick between the two, I would prefer Hillary to Obama. I think you are mistaken when you think Obama is more electable.

I dont see how you can say that. Do you realize how rabidly people HATE Hillary? The Jesus-Freaks hate her for staying with Clinton, whom most of them consider the worst president ever. The Fiscal Conservatives hate her for backing William Jeff's Health Care Proposal, which would have cost billions. (Although, probably less than Bush's) And the old-style southern republicans hate her because she's a strong educated woman and hence a threat to them.

The vitriol they use on this woman is unbelievable. Almost nobody feels that way about Obama. Regardless of whether they like him or not, and most people aren't knowledgeble about him to have an opinion, they dont HATE him as they do Hillary.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6473759 - 01/18/07 02:59 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Almost nobody feels that way about Obama.

Almost nobody feels that way about him now. Everything changes when you throw your hat in that ring. And as the email I quoted earlier demonstrates, the hate is on its way.

Just give it some time..

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: The first black president... [Re: IgnatiusJReilly]
    #6473775 - 01/18/07 03:04 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

IgnatiusJReilly said:
jiggy said: "I'll tell you what the mystery behind Obamas "Charisma" is. He catches the attention of white people in the same way Carlton does on the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire. He doesn't fit the sterotype and that makes him captivating."

of course it has nothing to do with what the man says, right?  or his personality?  his intelligence? 

That is what I have been saying.

He has very little personal charisma and an unexciting speaking style. It is all about what he represents.
People are projecting charisma onto him. It is not emanating from him.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: The first black president... [Re: zorbman]
    #6473883 - 01/18/07 03:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I dont know.

I've seen him speak quite a few times during the senate races in IL. He's quite a good public speaker. You're one of the few people I've heard say otherwise.

Maybe he's no Clinton, but he's a better speaker w/ a better public persona and more charisma than just about anyone on EITHER ticket. With the possible exception of Guliani, who can always play the "9/11" card in any speech he gives and nail a tear-jerker response from any crowd.

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: The first black president... [Re: IgnatiusJReilly]
    #6474454 - 01/18/07 07:13 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

IgnatiusJReilly said:

I was reffering to the essense quality behind his "mysterious" Charisma. Intelligence is intelligence. If people find him or his ideas intelligent, they will say, he has a lot of intelligence or intelligent ideas.

Charisma is an attractive and captivating quality that stirs and awakens the senses. Ones intelligence is definetly a part of what makes someone captivating in the charasmatic sense. Not all intelligent people are charismatic. Some are very dry and dull in presense and delivery when they speak.

If he were extremely intelligent wiith loads of great ideas, and spoke them wearing baggies with his underwear and ass hanging out, a gold grill in his mouth, wearing bling, a Fubu shirt, and sporting prison tatoos, while throwing in some ebonics for flavor and shout outs to the homies, he wouldn't be where he is or get paid much serious attention to by whites. He has a novelty factor for sure.

The only reason why I proposed this angle is because toilet duck made a point of making a post about a potential first BLACK president.

Had he just posted "What do you guys think of Obama for Pres? and comments about his mysterious charisma hadn't come up, I wouldn't have bothered adding the comment I did about where I think a lot of his charisma comes from for people who think he has it.

Put everything he has ever said into the mouth of an average looking and acting white man, and he wouldn't be where he is IMHO.

If anyone wants to ignore the novelty factor that has contributed to the flurry of mystic that gets raised around this guy, go right ahead and would you be kind enough to start posting what you know for a fact about him, not speculation, that makes him a strong and qualified person for the the job of President of the United States of America.

All I ever hear is, "ooooh Obama, the black guy from Illinois?"

Not oooooh Obama, the guy who wants to solve the problems in the middle east by doing XYZ, the guy who wants to address government and corporate coruption by doing xyz etc.

Even look at this thread title, The first Black President.

Its not, The first possible presidential canidate who has his shit together because......

There is a novelty factor that can't be ignored when wondering what some of all of the fuss over him is about.

I am relaying what I observe about people and their responces and reactions to Obama.

Its not my bag. I've been voting green since I started paying attention to debates back in the 90s. There is nothing charasimatic about Nadar and there was nothing Clinton ladies man esque about Ross Perot and all of these other things that, make women want to throw their underwear at Obama. 

I voted for them because I like the bulk of what they have to say about what the would do if they got into office. It was hard getting beyond Perots big ears, dwarf size and sqeeky voice to hear his views, concerns and ideas for addressing them and its really hard getting beyond Nadars half dead demeanor to hear his.

I am personally someone who looks deeper and if you thought otherwise, you were mistaken.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineIgnatiusJReilly
Up From Sloth
Male

Loc: LA
Re: The first black president... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #6475408 - 01/19/07 01:10 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i wasn't judging you. but i felt compelled to call attention to your statement. there's truth to it, sure. but it is depressing. coming from the D.C. area, attending public schools, and growing up in my economic bracket, I was raised essentially colorblind. it is only in the past 10 years or so that I've begun to comprehend the racial divide in this country. and it is stupid. as a kid I liked who i liked and disliked who i disliked. i was one of a handful of white males among my peers. my best friends were asian, black, brown, ginger, etc. but you know what? we drifted apart. because older people started telling us the way things work. my best friend told me she couldn't hang out with me anymore because she had to "find her roots." that was when I was fourteen. and now what? I'm mid-twenties and have absolutely NO non-white friends (well, I don't have any white friends either, but by choice, I assure you).

ah, whatever. HEGEMONY. there's where the real divide is. i've gotta poop.

--------------------
"A Bad Day for Pants"

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: The first black president... [Re: Le_Canard]
    #6477566 - 01/19/07 05:29 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I just found out that he smokes. That habit costs him many millions of votes.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: The first black president... [Re: Gijith]
    #6477899 - 01/19/07 07:39 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Bi-partisan system will not work. Both parties suck. Vote libertarian.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#6478052 - 01/19/07 08:23 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I really don't know much about his performance record or qualifications. I have been researching him for over the past hour. Reading alone, I haven't come up with anything that stands out about him.

Nothing like when Perot first caught my attention talking about his plans to get rid of the IRS, Outlaw lobbying, etc. He jumped off the page and hit me in the face and caught my attention very well. :lol: He gave me hope for sanity in the WH and that's when I started voting.

Anyway, even Obamas blackness doesn't really stand out. He is a mix and has predominantly white facial features and very light skin. (There is a photo gallery at his site in the link below.) What will hurt him more regarding his looks is his appear ant youth IMO.

I found his web-site. Here's the link and it first takes you to a speech on his views concerning Iraq to the President. Anyone who wants to learn a bit more about him can explore his site and read his speeches here.

http://obama.senate.gov/speech/060621-floor_statement_of_senator_barack_obama_on_iraq_debate/index.html

I'd need to read a lot more on him from many sources before I could start forming opinions about him as a potential candidate. Regardless, I am still voting for Nadar if he runs in '08.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds