Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRylmonkey
Former Master ofThe RX-7
Male

Does mixing species of mycelium screw everything up?
    #6475694 - 01/19/07 07:16 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Wondering if mixing my quarts of wbs, PR, Colorado, and Equadorian do anything negative, I figure it won't do anything, the mycelium will just mix together, eventually growing separate species, I know it's impossible to hybrid. But would they grow fruits?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does mixing species of mycelium screw everything up? [Re: Rylmonkey]
    #6475844 - 01/19/07 09:17 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

That isn't mixing species... its mixing strains... big difference as far as what actually happens.

Different species might see one another as competitors, or live side by side.

Different STRAINS of the SAME species (as you describe) will live side by side, and there's an off chance might "combine up"... its not impossible to hybrid between strains (it is between species) but its also very unlikely to happen when you randomly mix things together.

Chances are mixing a bunch of strains together will result in one type of fruit at the end, or maybe one type of fruit on a first flush and a different type on the next flush... or possible even some side by side... (and a good chance you won't even notice the difference in fruits!) So there's a lot of randomness and unknown involved stemming from things like genetic compatibility. What is pretty certain, is that since your substrate won't be one "unified" organism, it may hurt yields in the long run. The BEST grows come from a single isolated set of genetics, not mixing and matching a bunch.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6475860 - 01/19/07 09:21 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Exactly what species are you trying to combine? From the sounds of it, you just want to combine strains of the same species. They may or may not share genetics(cross), but either way there is little to no harm in mixing vendor named strains because they're all the same species anyway. The chances are very high that they will combine into a single organism via anastomosis by the time fruiting comes. Search the posts. This has been asked and answered dozens of times in the last year or two. There's several grow logs in that forum where guys have mixed 'strains' in the same tray with no problems.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Does mixing species of mycelium screw everything up? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6475878 - 01/19/07 09:28 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

creamcorn said:
That its not impossible to hybrid between strains (it is between species)

Species can and have been hybridized too. http://www.nwbotanicals.org/nwb/lexicon/hybridcordyceps.htm It's only a matter of time before some enterprising cultivator creates a frankenshroom for release.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does mixing species of mycelium screw everything up? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6475892 - 01/19/07 09:32 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

That's neat :thumbup:

Not the kind of thing that's going to happen by chance by mixing up a bunch of different spawn I'd think though :smile:

I need to be more careful with words like "impossible" and "always" or "never"... :wink:

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
    #6475905 - 01/19/07 09:37 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

FWIW, I mixed four strains together the first time I did casings and had no problems whatsoever... I could even identify three of the four by the time they were almost mature.

OfflineRylmonkey
Former Master ofThe RX-7
Male

Re: Does mixing species of mycelium screw everything up? [Re: xeallos]
    #6476033 - 01/19/07 10:31 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

lol yeh I meant strains, my bad. Thanks for the help guys.

Invisiblefreetree77
king louie
Male

Loc: all across the universe
    #6476088 - 01/19/07 10:52 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

man, i think i have two strains growing off the same cake, but they all came from the same syringe. im growing thai koh samui "super strain" and what i have is some long and skinny fruits with a bluish greenish ring just below the cap, and some of them are short and fat with way darker caps and white spots on the cap. i think the fat ones are the samui's. has this ever happened to anyone before?

im satisfied with the amount of fruits on my cake, but their not getting very big. the ones with the rings, most of the veils have opened already and they are really small. as small as .2 gs wet, but the biggest is still only 1.8. so i picked about 14 of the ones with the veils open, hoping it will give the short fat ones a chance to grow bigger, because those are the real potent ones, if indeed they are samui. ive got some great pictures, but it wont let me upload them onto the site. does any one have any advice of how i can get these fruits bigger with out the cap opening?

--------------------
Sinister Minister

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Does mixing species of mycelium screw everything up? [Re: freetree77]
    #6476194 - 01/19/07 11:26 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, that strain is like that. All sorts of diverse fruitbodies. It's a good cube strain though.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6476203 - 01/19/07 11:28 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

you very likely do

what is typically referred to as a "strain" is the names we use like B+, Golden Teacher, etc... though a strain is technically any combination of two compatible spores that have mated up (some refer to these as "sub strains" though its a semantic thing, and considering each mating its own strain is probably more technically correct). different strains will have different phenotypes - a phenotype would describe the particular fruit's characteristics, so what you are seeing is two different phenotypes that fruited at the same time. all this ties into why there's so much variability from fruit to fruit, flush to flush, grow to grow, when starting from spores. while chance would have your results resemble their "parent" mushroom, they aren't going to be identical. it also helps to explain the "a cube is a cube" logic when people try asking questions about which named strain is better than another... it doesn't matter for the reason you're seeing first hand... the results vary!

as for getting the fruits bigger, is a combination of things. you can clone one of the bigger ones to take all the genetic randomness out of the picture, and that will at least pre-dispose you to larger fruits. you still need to provide optimal conditions - size depends on conditions more than anything. this includes using more substrate (a cake is convenient and easy for starters, but when it comes down to it is not very much substrate - one can only expect small fruits) and of course, the all important moisture content - so be sure you're dunking your cakes before each flush, including the first!

Invisiblefreetree77
king louie
Male

Loc: all across the universe
    #6477740 - 01/19/07 06:36 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

wow, thats good info cream corn, and i did dunk and roll them before i birthed them. oh well, i guess i cant expect too much from my first gro, but im still proud i made it this far. heres probly a dumb question, how do you clone one? thats not the same as printing is it? cus i had thot about doing that with one of these, probably with one of the shrooms on the second flush, having heard that koh samuis have bigger second flushes than first.

also, i think im going to try a casing next. and in your opinion, what to you think would be better, to use wbs, or rye for substrate? i think ill use a verm/coir casing, and maybe the coffee thing if i can found out more. your input has helped me alot so far, so i appreciate your opinions. well thanks for everything,
peace.

--------------------
Sinister Minister

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #6477801 - 01/19/07 07:06 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

yeah creamcorn good info
so what happens when a cloned mushroom produces spores??? are those spores more likely to be big also???
or the mushrooms the spores produce I meant???

Edited by cpw1971 (01/19/07 07:10 PM)

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
    #6477802 - 01/19/07 07:06 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I mixed the last of a golden teachers syringe with creepers once... 2 PF jar holes with creeper, 2 with GT...couldn't tell any difference between the rest of the cakes which were creepers.

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

OfflineRylmonkey
Former Master ofThe RX-7
Male

Re: Does mixing species of mycelium screw everything up? [Re: TheSlapnCapn]
    #6479255 - 01/20/07 07:02 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Now that i think aboutit, my last grow I mixed strains, thai and some Pesa. I had a kickass yield too. Thanks for the cool info guys!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom