Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJorsher
Psychonaut
Male

Loc: Earth
How do I know if it's myceleum or mold?
    #6471844 - 01/17/07 11:31 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Hello folks :smile:  Sorry for this thread, I didn't know quite what search keywords to use, but I tried looking.

Anywho, I had some jars of rye grain colonizing with my favorite edible mushroom.  When completed, I inoculated another 20 jars with the original 4.  One of the originals was thought to be contaminated with green mold again, so I destroyed it before it got a chance.

My previous batch got ATTACKED by green mold.  I think the syringe I used got infected by one of the lc jars, and spread it to my other jars.  Anywho, I heard it's hard to get rid of green mold.

Well this new batch, the 20 jars are colonizing quite well.  The 4 I started with didn't smell too shroomy, but they didn't stink either.  I'm guessing the rye smell was just overpowering the shroom one.  Anyways, the original 4 were thick bright white, and the spots between the grain had a "shroomy" texture/feel to them.

Early on when I inoculated the 20 jars with the original 4, there were very few very small spots of discoloration, which I figure is due to breaking up the original jars and shaking in the new ones causing bruising.  Well, today when I examined them, there are 3 jars with a couple greenish tinted spots, but the myceleum is bright white.

In a way, the whiteness and thickness of the myceleum makes me think it's my precious edible mushroom.  On the other hand, after I made these jars I forgot to throw out the remaining rye, and it also grew a thick white mass of myceleum (mold) that never turned green.

How do I know if it's good or bad?

--------------------
5 shroom me!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJorsher
Psychonaut
Male

Re: How do I know if it's myceleum or mold? [Re: Jorsher]
    #6472707 - 01/18/07 09:06 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Anyone please ?

--------------------
5 shroom me!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: How do I know if it's myceleum or mold? [Re: Jorsher]
    #6472731 - 01/18/07 09:21 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Most molds will become other color than white with time.
See http://www.shroomery.org/5276/What-are-common-contaminants-of-the-mushroom-culture

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: How do I know if it's myceleum or mold? [Re: Anno]
    #6473273 - 01/18/07 12:40 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
Most molds will become other color than white with time.
See http://www.shroomery.org/5276/What-are-common-contaminants-of-the-mushroom-culture

I agree and also smell is a good indication,if it smells like healthy mycelium than it probably is  :thumbup:

OfflineJorsher
Psychonaut
Male

Re: How do I know if it's myceleum or mold? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6473652 - 01/18/07 02:28 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i've read that link already, but it doesn't doesn't answer my question. thanks though.

I'll let it continue and see what develops.

--------------------
5 shroom me!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag