Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesoma_seeker
Stranger in aStrange Land
 User Gallery

Loc: Down under
Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod
    #6429411 - 01/05/07 09:01 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

This is my second grow after having a mixture of success and failure with my first.

Substrate Preparation & inoculation
====================================

On sunday, 3rd of December i prep'd 15 PF jars with the following formula;

1 cup water
1 & 1/4 cups of brf (freshly made)
2 cups verm

- the above mixture was used to prep 5 jars each time.

The jars were then pressure cooked at 12 psi (i think) for 1 hour.

The jars were inoculated the next day with m/s syringes that were pressure cooked and prep'd the previous evening.

5 jars were innoc'd with KSSS strain
10 jars were innoc'd with Mexi-cub strain (i'm yet to yld a shroom of this strain)

Since i have more than enough time for the jars to colonise (going on holiday) they were not placed in my incubator, simply in the tub with a towel and lid over it.

Day 7
=====

after returning from the beach i checked the jars and 14 had colonised an area of around 30-40 % of the outer surface.

of these 14, 1 had a spot of green mould and was removed from the rest but not discarded. an additional 1 had not begun to colonise and had a yellow discolouration near the innoc sites, this jar was also removed.

9 healthy KSSS remaining
4 healthy Mexi-cub remaining

Day 9 (13th dec)
=====

all 13 healthy jars have colonised at least 50% of the side surface of the jars, some have colonised a similar % of the bottom surface as well.

today i leave to go home, at the rate at which these jars are colonising i expect them to be ready before or on new years eve. perhaps they will have to be placed in the fridge to await my return before birthing.

Birthing (Day 31, 2nd jan)
==========================

( Got back in town 3 days ago but was busy drinking and trippin over the w'end for new yrs and didn't do any work on my grow. )

I birthed the 9 Mexi-cub cakes into a large steel pot and the 4 KSSS into a smaller one and dunked them in tap water in the fridge for about 10 hours.

Unfortunately the cakes did not shrink at all during colonisation so they were quite difficult to remove from the jars (i did not have this problem last time). I had to use a fork to work them out while trying to do as little damage to the myc as possible.

I examined the jar that had showed signs of green mould and could see no signs of mould now, the jar that had not initially colonised was now completely colonised and showed no discolouration. I cut out a large portion of the cake where the mould had been (i'd marked the area on the outside of the jar in marker) and in doing so managed to crumble the cake significantly. I was about to discard these 2 cakes but had a sudden impulse to experiment with a casing. I put an inch of soaked verm on the bottom of a baking tray and then crumbled up each cake on one half of the length of the tray. I then covered this with an additional half inch of soaked verm.

I'm aware this breaks several rules of using casings (and may sound like a moronic thing to do) but i felt compelled to give it a try, thinking i had little to lose. If it shows any visible signs of contam i will discard it.

The 13 cakes were removed from dunking and double end cased and rolled in dry verm, with misting. Then into the terranium on their lids.

Day 33 (2 days in terranium)
======

After only 2 days the cakes are showing a significant growth of very fluffy and light myc over the surface of the casing material. I account this to a very high humidity level. Obviously not a problem for the cakes but i may have to consider discarding my attempted casing.

The casing has a small amount of similar myc growing on its surface in a couple of locations.

Day 35 (4 days in terranium)
======

Last night i noticed i have a single Mexi-cub shroom growing. I noticed that one of the cakes had an invitro pin when i birthed it, but i assumed i would have crushed it in removing the cake from its jar.

Also the amount of light fluffy myc continues to increase on nearly all of the cakes. I'm suprised at the rate at which this is occuring, however there are no signs of hyphal knotting or primordia so the cakes are obviously still in their vegatative state.

First pics taken today;

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedoinitagain
Stranger
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod [Re: soma_seeker]
    #6429698 - 01/05/07 10:55 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

lookin good

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod [Re: doinitagain]
    #6439734 - 01/08/07 09:00 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Day 38 (7 days in FC)
======

On inspection of my cakes over the past 2 days i noticed, firstly another prominant pin and secondly that the cakes had stopped producing the lite fluffy myc and started producing what i thought (but wasn't certain) were primordia. They'd visibly entered the fruiting stage.

Sure enough on inspection this morning i noticed pins on 6 of the 9 mexi-cub cakes. Strangely, the cake that now has a fully developed 6 inch shroom on it (i'm leaving it until tomorrow to get a print off it) does not seem to have any other primordia or pins.

None of the KSSS cakes show anything i'd call a pin which isn't suprising since in the past they have taken around 14 days to pin for me. However, from the looks of things they should pin in the next 2 days. Maybe its my imagination but they somehow seem dryer than the other cakes.

No real signs of change with the casing.

A couple of the MC cakes have quite good looking and fast developing pin-sets, i'm keen to see how they look by friday.

pics taken today;

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

Offlinehabitat0789
Insomniac
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod [Re: soma_seeker]
    #6439839 - 01/08/07 09:32 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

whats the temp and humidity in your fc?

--------------------

ilove my woods...

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod [Re: habitat0789]
    #6439991 - 01/08/07 10:12 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

g'day,

i haven't had a thermometer or hygrometer in my setup for about 6 months so anything i could tell you would just be an educated guess.

i think the humidity would be about 99% (just comparing it visually to past experiences) and the temp. here has been ranging from about 20 to 28 degrees celcius.

sorry i cant be more specific

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#6446161 - 01/10/07 06:03 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Day 40 (9 days in FC)
======

on the night of my last post i ate the one mature shroom i had instead of waiting to take a print (the cap was quite small anyway).
it weighed 22g and i was slightly dissapointed in the potency compared to similar amounts of other strains i've had fresh. i'd had a few glasses of red before consuming, maybe that distorted things a bit.

Today i awoke to find one side of my casing attempt had begun to pin. I'm not sure which side is pinning (each half of the casing is a different strain and i didn't mark it to know one from the other), but i assume it is the mexi-cub side since it has proven to pin a lot quicker than the KSSS.  I'm quite suprised/happy that the casing has managed to pin as i did not have high hopes for it. I assumed the humidity in my FC would be too high.

Has anyone had any experience and can comment on growing both cakes and casings in the same FC at once?

There now only remains 1 cake that has no pins whatsoever. However, 2 of the MC and 3 of the KSSS only have a couple of very small pins each.

On inspection of one of the slow KSSS cakes this morning i found 2 very tiny spots of trich (green mould). I quickly cut it out and a large portion of the surroding area with a sterilized knife and wiped the area with a tissue soaked in hydgrogen peroxide. Any further signs on mould on this cake and i wont hessitate to discard it. I've lost a grow to trich before and DONT want it to happen again.

Apart from that i'm happy with the progress.

Tried to take pics but camera didn't work :frown:

--------------------

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
    #6446355 - 01/10/07 06:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I would probably toss that cake or at least isolate it in a small FC, such as a 3 liter bottle.

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod [Re: etam]
    #6449746 - 01/11/07 05:25 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

cheers for the input etam. i know i should really isolate that cake but the amount of mould was so tiny i'm going to leave it go. i'm keeping a close eye on it, any further signs and its gone.

Borrowed my housemate's camera to take a few pics, i tried to take a couple of shots of the pinset of the casing (which seems to be pretty good :smile: ) but it reflected too much light each time and ruined the shot.

No real improvement shown by the 5 slow cakes (3 KSSS, 2 MC).

--------------------

Offlinehightimesreader
Half assed question asker
 User Gallery

Loc: In the air conditioning
    #6450039 - 01/11/07 06:50 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I'll be interested to see your results for your casing becuase I have only two lonly pins on my casing :sad:.. wish my stuff looked like your cakes at least, you have a good 4+ pins on each cake.. so like.. 6 pins would  be good for my casing... Could you possibly just give us a pin/head count on your casing?

-Hightimesreader

--------------------
I'm hunting for The Following ethnos.
For experiments, hunting finds and any other contributions, check out My journal.
HTR

A new leaf turned over.. I'm too old for this shit.
:commonsense:

Edited by hightimesreader (01/11/07 07:41 PM)

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod [Re: hightimesreader]
    #6450151 - 01/11/07 07:24 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

hey hightimes, no worries.

don't know if you read my previous posts but i made my casing with 2 cakes, each a different strain. Only 1 side has started pinning since the strain on that side seems to develop a lot faster.

anyway, the pins first became visible about a day and a half ago and i can count 30 of them. some of these are very small and some are in small little groups, so no doubt some will abort. i guess i'll be stoked if i can get about half a dozen fully mature decent size shrooms off the flush.

best of luck with urs

--------------------

OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

#6450197 - 01/11/07 07:42 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Your casing looks good right now.
The key to getting a great flush on your casing is once you fruit it you need to start spraying it once a day directly on the casing layer untill it is highly saturated with water.

do this untill you start seeing pins then start misting right above the tub so the mist gently falls on top of the casing and pins. I have never directly sprayed pins because people always say they abort and don't grow to their full size.

I do this and I get a great flush every time and never abort.

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

Edited by Pikashroom (01/11/07 07:44 PM)

Offlinehightimesreader
Half assed question asker
 User Gallery

Loc: In the air conditioning
    #6450203 - 01/11/07 07:44 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Nice results there Soma_Seeker! I think next time I'll wait for myc. to show up while incubating it then patch and throw in fc.. I think that  will work out better for me.. Good luck with that trich bitch cake. Hope it stays away from the nasty lady :laugh:

-Hightimesreader

--------------------
I'm hunting for The Following ethnos.
For experiments, hunting finds and any other contributions, check out My journal.
HTR

A new leaf turned over.. I'm too old for this shit.
:commonsense:

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Cubensis - KSSS & Mexi-Cub, PF Tek, Poor Man's Pod [Re: hightimesreader]
    #6450383 - 01/11/07 08:38 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

cheers hightimes!

cheers pikashroom, the process you described is what i have followed so far. unfortunately i can't really continue to mist half the casing without misting the other half, but obviously u shouldn't grow 2 strains in 1 casing so thats my own fault.

i agree with how u described misting over the FC and not directly to avoid directly misting pins. thats the process i use, i'm still not convinced that misting pins will cause any negative side-effects but i guess like yourself i adhere to it in case it is true.

nice results BTW, but u didn't deliberately leave the casing in the first pic that long did u?

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#6454036 - 01/12/07 10:50 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Day 42  (11 days in fc)
======

today i harvested 4 of the MC cakes (and put them in to dunk), with the inention of leaving the other 4 that are almost mature for another day to see if any additional growth occurs.

The yld for these 4 cakes was quite dissapointing, only just over 70g.  So they didn't even manage an avg. of 20g each.

I had high hopes for these cakes when the first shroom that grew weighed in at 22g, but the good number of mature shrooms i'm getting on each cake seems to be causing a real competition for moisture and they are all quite thin with very small caps :frown:

This inspired me today to start a WBS grow (three litre jars are pc'ing at the moment).  I'm hoping that if i spawn this strain to coir i'll be able to benefit from the fast growth time, large pinset AND large fruits.

Plan on splitting todays harvest with a friend tonight :smile:

--------------------

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

#6463903 - 01/15/07 08:42 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

On sunday i harvested the other 5 mexi-cub cakes and the half casing.

From the cakes i got 100g and a further 60g from the half casing. Considering the casing was made from a single cake, takes up around the same space in my FC and ylds 3 times the amount of shrooms with the same amount of effort i DONT think i'll be bothering with cakes again.

I dunked half the MC cakes for 24 hrs and the other half for 12 hrs, only 2 days later already some had begun to pin this morning.

I discarded the KSSS cake that showed signs of green mold and the other 3 KSSS cakes and the half casing have showed very little growth whatsoever.

If i'd made all my cakes/casing mexi-cub strain i'd be pretty happy with the results.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate