Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
On holes and fanning
    #645390 - 05/26/02 12:19 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I've seen a lot of pictures of terrariums where an external pump is fitted with an air filter or the hole in the container is covered by a filter. But a lot of people simply fan right? Some fan even though they have air pumps connected.

So, if you fan, doesn't that simply allow a lot of contamination to enter anyway? Why bother with the filters if you are going to fan?

And do people who fan only experience more contamination than those who use air filters with pumps? Any input from someone who has had contamination problems due to fanning would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: On holes and fanning [Re: shianggu]
    #645789 - 05/26/02 08:07 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Well when you fan, it is assumed that you're envoirnment is somewhat sterlie, and the cakes or casings are not going to contam. Why? Well mycelium thats completely colonized a cake, is much harder to contam, because its already grown on the surface and taken up the nutritional value.

Casings on the other hand use a casing which can retain water, and at the same time have no nutrional value so that contams will not spawn and grow.

I use a pump and fan. THe pump has the constant air flow through the terrarium. The fanning 1-2 times a day is just cause I get bored. you really dont need either. Fan 1-2 times a day is enough for most occasions.

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota, USA
    #646259 - 05/26/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'm putting together a new terranium, and I'm trying to set everthing up so I don't have to open the terranium besides putting in the cakes and harvesting the flushes. Take a lookat my blueprints:

--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

Offlineshianggu
Re: On holes and fanning [Re: C12H17N204P]
    #646683 - 05/26/02 05:37 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Seems cool!
Question though, why is the filter patch to the left at the top of the container? Is it to help with air circulation as the air is being sucked out by the computer fan?

I'm assuming its to get the CO2 out so why not put it at the bottom? And will a computer fan be powerful enough to such air out?

The picture you posted got me thinking about the actual air movement inside the terrarium (not just getting the CO2 out). I remember reading somewhere about evaporative............. (something, I forgot the other word). It's about how air circulation causes water evaporation from the casing surface and that helps bring on bigger flushes.

I'm straying from my original questions, but does anyone have any thoughts on that? Or am I just confused?

Thanks a lot for sharing C12H17N204P.

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota, USA
    #646734 - 05/26/02 06:22 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

The filter patch is on the right, but anyhow the air pump pumps in filtered air from the left and you would place the tubing so the air swoops down and around in the terranium. THe filter patch doesn't even need to be there. I would prefer to get the most air circulatiion you possibly could though.
The thing with the fan is that yes, it is powerful enough to suck everything out of the terranium, but you need to do that a few times a day anyhow. As long as your temp and rH go back to normal though, its not a problem. I would pick up a timer to hook up to the fan. You'll need a timer that goes on and for only one minute though. You won't find those at Wally World and they are a bit spendy, but I think well worth it...no more opening and closing the terranium.
Heres a link to the timer I own:
http://www.cloudtops.com/electronic_digital_timer.htm

--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

Edited by C12H17N204P (05/26/02 09:33 PM)

Offlineshianggu
Re: On holes and fanning [Re: C12H17N204P]
    #646936 - 05/26/02 09:46 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Doh!! That damned left/right thingy.
Anyway, best of luck to you when you build it!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom