Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads [UK]
    #6450525 - 01/11/07 11:26 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads
January 12, 2007 - The Guardian

Drug campaigners have warned that a batch of cannabis adulterated with tiny glass beads which they say could pose a risk to health has flooded the UK market. Anecdotal reports suggest it is being sold in almost every part of the country.

The charity Drugscope is issuing a warning. "We want to make people aware of it from a public health point of view. If you are smoking this stuff and taking it into your lungs it's not good news."

The fact that "grit weed", as it is being called, is so widespread suggests that contamination is happening at an early stage in the production process. "It seems to be being done on an industrial scale," said Harry Shapiro of Drugscope.

The dealers' motivation seems to be to bump up the weight of their product. They appear to be doing this by spraying plants with the reflective element from the paint used on road lines. The tiny reflective glass beads become imbedded in the leaves.

"It looks perfectly normal. In fact it looks good quality," said Derek Williams of UK Cannabis Internet Activists, which campaigns against cannabis prohibition.

Contributors to its internet forum have said the contaminated leaves can be identified by rubbing them between wetted fingers. The residue will feel gritty if chewed.

The first reports of grit weed circulated in late summer, but the groups have only recently received pictures of the beads taken with an electron microscope by an anonymous scientist. There have been rumours of users experiencing a tight chest for days after smoking grit weed, but a spokesperson for the British Thoracic Society said that the contamination was unlikely to be dangerous because the particles are too big to be inhaled into the lungs.

An analysis carried out by the French Observatory of Drugs and Drug Addiction found that the glass particles are between 0.02 and 0.3 millimetres across. But Richard Russell, a consultant at Imperial College London, said few particles above 0.015 millimetres would be able to pass into the lungs because they are too big.

"It is likely that they will deposit in the mouth or the throat," said Dr Russell. Here they would most likely pass harmlessly through the system. Using a filter would stop them entering the mouth.

Dr Russell said that smokers should be aware that cannabis smoke causes emphysema, lung inflammation and cancer. "You are likely to do more damage from the marijuana than these particles."

Mr Williams said that the widespread contamination highlighted the problems which stem from cannabis prohibition. "Cannabis is called a controlled drug, but there is no control over the supply side. It's a completely underground product," he said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineMustNotBe
HPPDer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BrewCity
Re: Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads [UK] [Re: veggie]
    #6450602 - 01/11/07 11:54 PM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Now if the only reason they can find for us that would make weed bad for our health is that there are glass pieces in it, then they should legalize it to make it safer.

--------------------
Junkies United we stand , Devided we're sick as fuck.
-                  -                -
"Hallucinations are something heroin users are not at all accustomed to," said Const. Conor King, Victoria police drug expert. "They react like you or I would react if we took Aspirin and all of a sudden the TV got up and started walking across the room."
-                  -                -
Make drugs legal, or alcohol and tobacco illegal. Either way it's more fair.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #6450663 - 01/12/07 12:30 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

I wonder if their gov't has something to do with this, seeing as how it is on such a wide scale.

Imagine, gov't grows and contaminates the product, making it terrible for the health of the country. People stop smoking, the gov't has its way. Other than personal growers, they could stop the majority of the cannabis "problem".

If this is true, what would be to stop any gov't from doing this? It's not like they would be held accountable for their actions of breaking the law (cultivating and distributing an illegal product) and endangering public health. As well as they'd probably be making a nice chunk of change off this.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male

Re: Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads [UK] [Re: demiu5]
    #6450777 - 01/12/07 01:16 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Rubbing the leaves? Who the fuck smokes weed? Also, cannabis smoke causes Cancer? Since when?

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2021

Offlinefunkyjunky
Sigh Low Sippin'
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: brick city
Re: Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads [UK] [Re: demiu5]
    #6450786 - 01/12/07 01:18 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

That would never happen in the US.  How do you think our gov't got all that $$?  I'd bet drug $ is second to taxes for gov't (secret) revenue.

But those glass beads are not the only contaminant.  The smokers of this horrid weed complained of weird tastes, and some claim anything from sugrar to sand is being added by unscrupulous drug dealers.
Legalize it  :cool:
:mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Long Live the Shroomery
Peace

Offlinefunkyjunky
Sigh Low Sippin'
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: brick city
Re: Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads [UK] [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #6450792 - 01/12/07 01:19 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Gastronomicus said:
Also, cannabis smoke causes Cancer? Since when?

Ever since carcinogenic compounds were ADDED to it :smirk:.
:mushroom2: :mushroom2:

*And now would be the perfect time for any EU dealers to brag about their guaranteed PURE weed.  I imagine quite a few customers are lookin' for new (real) weed hookups.

--------------------
Long Live the Shroomery
Peace

Edited by funkyjunky (01/12/07 01:23 AM)

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads [UK] [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #6450811 - 01/12/07 01:27 AM (15 years, 15 days ago)

"If this is true, what would be to stop any gov't from doing this?"

Can't speak for the UK, but the US? The fact that they couldn't taint the "majority" of weed because they can't get their hands on it, obviously.

But, as for putting glass in enough of it to cause panic, it would mean that they would be involved at an extremely bulk stage of the process. This is something that they are of course capable of, but it is also something that could be cut off, and dealers would get pot from non-contaminated sources, and prices would sky-rocket for good herb. Good pot sells for a lot more than shitty pot. This is accomplished through a few major points, like eliminating male plants, not compressing the weed into horrible bricks, good genetics, etc. All that for a little quality that will double the price of bud on the street. I'm willing to believe that dealers will jump through a few hoops in order to not sell customers glass shards, and never see their business again. It isn't the heroin business... products that are 70% cuts don't fly, and nor will frigging glass in the bud.

Many more people would also grow their own.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
Re: Warning issued over cannabis adulterated with glass beads [UK] [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #6453827 - 01/12/07 11:27 PM (15 years, 14 days ago)

i seriously doubt that any person smart enough to manipulate the public to elect them would be naive enough to believe putting glass beads in weed will make people stop smoking it. if they really wanted to make the public fear marijuana they would use radical example rather than slow carcinigenic effects seeing as people all over the world smoke cigarets already and dont give a shit.

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

Offlineastralplaynes
cat farmer
    #6454035 - 01/13/07 12:50 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

this sounds like the quinine scare of the 70's.Our govt tried the weed is tainted shit back then.needless to say people still puff.
Maybe it is true.If it is some growers need a lead enema for that bullshit!! :whack:

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#6454054 - 01/13/07 12:59 AM (15 years, 14 days ago)

Legalize. Regulate. Make it safe for everybody to smoke/eat/vaporize.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order