Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
cold-shocking
    #644465 - 05/25/02 07:32 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I have a couple batches of EQ and Tapalpas using PF that are showing zero mycelium growth after a week. I need to know if there is anything I can do jump-start the growth.

What is cold-shocking and how does it work? Would this help in this situation? If not, what recommendations would seasoned mushroom growers make? Increase the humidity?

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: susej]
    #644478 - 05/25/02 07:38 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: cold-shocking [Re: Alien]
    #644522 - 05/25/02 08:22 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, cold shocking works wonders on Cubensis strains. It initiates pinning, unfavorable circumstances force the fungus to reproduce, I.E.: create spores. Cold shocking is done to initiate pinning. If the fungus initiates pinning on it's own accord, it is a sign that nutrients are no longer in abundance, and must be replaced if more flushes are desired. Cold shocking substrate with no mycelial growth will get you nowhere. You don't want to create unfavorable circumstances for the mycelium at such a young stage of development. Again, cold shocking = initiation of pins, cold shocking anything other than 100% colonized substrate = a major waste of time.

Also, cold shocking is done by lowering the temperature of the mycelium. General techniques are to; remove the jars from the incubator/terrerium if one is being used, if however the jars are not in an incubator or heated terrerium, the same effects may be obtained by placing the fully colonized jars into a refridgerator for a few hours.

--------------------
All text in the above message, expressed or implied, is fiction.

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
Re: cold-shocking [Re: susej]
    #644537 - 05/25/02 08:40 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

What are you saying, you see no mycelium growth in innoculated jars? Or are you saying fully colonized cakes that were cased show no mycelium growth. If your talking about your casings you might want to give cold shocking a try. In my recent
casing i have cold shocked one and not the other. The one i cold shocked came to fruit in 1 week the other took over two weeks and this is a cubie strain. It could be some other factor that caused this but since i did these both the same way(other than cold shocking one and not the other)and at the same time i have to believe it works. At least for some cubie strains. So no its not a waste of time you don't know until you try. just wrap with plastic wrap and throw in the fridge over night.
All you have to lose is 24hrs.

Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
Re: cold-shocking [Re: staindblue]
    #644583 - 05/25/02 09:27 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'm saying that innoculated jars are showing no mycelium growth...zero colonization since they were innoculated on May 12th.

InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: susej]
    #644603 - 05/25/02 09:42 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
    #644628 - 05/25/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"If not, what recommendations would seasoned mushroom growers make?" -- So yes, cold shocking is not the answer, I understand that now and thank you for enlightening on the cold-shocking subject. Cold shocking is used to initiate pinning in fully colonized jars, I get that.

But now what do? The fact is there is zero mycelium growth after 13 days so I am looking for solutions to this problem. I think my methods are sound because I innoculated 5 jars w/ EQ which show no growth and I innoculated one jar of the same batch w/ Treasure Coast which is about half colonized already.

So my question is, as it has always been, what do seasoned growers usually do if there is no mycelium growth after 2 weeks?

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

#644904 - 05/25/02 02:41 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

so if i'm not incubating i can birth straight into a growing chamber with no 10 degree drop in temp cold shocking isn't necesary in this situation? not arguing just asking.

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

#644917 - 05/25/02 02:51 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You know what i did once( i think!!) when i innoculated my jars i was paying more attention to how much i was injecting and not making sure my syringe was up against the glass so like you i saw no mycelium after a long while . i finnally gave up on them but i didn't thow them out. forgot about them started something new and when checking my new project remembered them checked and saw them almost fully colonized. so DON'T GIVE UP. if you injected straight down it would start colonizing underneith and you wouldn't see it. Did you actually see liquid squirt on the inside of the glass when innoculating?

Offlinejusware
    #644931 - 05/25/02 03:14 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

dont worry about it for atleast another week. EQs have a tendency to take a little longer to show growth. A friend of mine is working on some and his took about 14-21 days for some of the innoc points to show growth. The best thing you can go do now is smoke a fatty and forget about your goodies for awhile.

Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
Re: cold-shocking [Re: jusware]
    #644939 - 05/25/02 03:26 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just leave them and see what happens. You guys have been super helpful. Thanks again!

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

#644969 - 05/25/02 03:56 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

is there anything i can do to jump start growth?
all you can do is give it ideal conditions. incubate at 82-86degrees
What do seasoned growers do?...
BE MORE PATIENT

Offlineanonymoushate

Re: cold-shocking [Re: staindblue]
    #645221 - 05/25/02 07:29 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

10? is a drastic change in temperature Alien. Think of a 63?F day, and imagine that dropping to 53?, thats damn cold. So yes, the 10? drop is enough to shock the mycelium. In my experience pins will appear eventually, but cold shocking them seems to speed the process up quite a bit.

For better understanding of how fungi grow and reproduce, I suggest reading a simple biology book, many will contain a section devoted to fungi. There are of course better materials available, but unless you are intruiged as to how and why fungi do what they do, you won't need any more.

--------------------
All text in the above message, expressed or implied, is fiction.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: cold-shocking [Re: anonymoushate]
    #645445 - 05/26/02 02:48 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

lol
do you really think that you're the only one here to ever read a book on this subject ?
i'd like you to cite a scientific reference that applies to cubensis specifically that supports your claim the cold shocking induces pinning in cubensis.
bet you can't find one.
all you'll find is anecdotes, stories from impatient growers who confuse coincidence with causuality.
they would have gotten pins anyway, but they grew impatient and tried cold shocking, and pins came.
same way witch doctors stop a solar eclipse by prayer & sacrifices.
i mean, it worked, didn't it ? the sun did come back after the witch doctor did his thing.
and pins will come if you cold shock.
they will also come if you don't, just as the eclipse will end without help from the witch doctor.
so suit yourself.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate