Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefreetree77
king louie
Male

Loc: all across the universe
what am i doin wrong?
    #6446967 - 01/10/07 09:34 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

yesterday i put one colonized, dunked and rolled pf cake into my fc with perlite in bottom. i didnt get to use a collander or bowl, so i just poured the perlite and water in to the bottom and poured off any extra water. ive fanned and sprayed the walls about 5 times daily, and still i cannot get my humidity past 89%. ive searched alot of old posts on this and other sites, still cant find the solution.
its around 71 degrees in there most of the time, and theres condensation on the walls, but my digi hygrometer says 89%. do i need to raise the temperature a bit to create more evaporation? it got up to 78 degrees earlier, and it about dried up one of the walls. so i moved it into another room and sprayed it again. ive also poured more water onto the perlite a couple of times, and it looks about like the right amount of each. if anything, maybe too much water. should i make a new batch with a bowl and collandar?
also, whats the lowest temps it can get to without damaging mycelium? anything i should do differently for the humidity? also, i read on an old post that to begin with, you need to fan 3-4 times an hour. that seems like it would displace most of my humidity and far too often. id like to get this figured out soon, so i can properly initiate pinning on the next cakes i put in tomorrow. ive done lots of research, but cant find what i need. any information would be a big help. thanks alot fellas
peace

--------------------
Sinister Minister

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: what am i doin wrong? [Re: freetree77]
    #6447016 - 01/10/07 09:49 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

make a new batch, do it correctly, then ignore the hygrometer.  (obviously you can re-use your current perlite, just get it wet, drain, and put in FC.  NO standing water in the FC.)  lay out a good couple inches.. 3 or 4.  don't pack it in, leave it loose, and rough.  i like to "rake" mine now and then with a big fork so that its not compacted down and flat, to increase surface area.

many digital hygrometers become very inaccurate once you approach the 90% range unless its pretty good quality.  luckily, perlite done right, is pretty much fool proof, regardless what your hygrometer will have you believe

raising your temps, will lower RH.  relative humidity is relative to temperature.  more temp with same amount of humidity, is less relative humidity.

the lowest temperature that will harm mycelium - is freezing.  you want to stay at or above mid 60s though for all intents and purposes... room temperature is fine for fruiting, assuming its somewhere around mid-high 60s to low-mid 70s.  if you're comfortable, your grow is comfortable.

the fanning is important and will displace humidity.  3-4 times an hour is "optimal" but not what you really want to go with in practicality in a perlite FC with cakes in it.  more like 3-4 times a day will be sufficient.  displacing CO2 is important, but a coupla cakes in a small FC doesn't exactly generate enough CO2 that its an issue.  those 3-4 times an hour figures come from commercial mushroom farming, where you have rows upon rows and shelves of grows going on.

beyond that, just trust in the perlite and go with it.  your cakes will let you know if there's a problem :smile:

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
Re: what am i doin wrong? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6447056 - 01/10/07 10:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

When preparing your perlite its VERY important there is no standing water in the container, as creamcorn said. Any perlite underwater is rendered useless.

To prepare your perlite you can fill a spaghetti strainer/colander with perlite. Pour distilled water over the perlite while stirring to make sure water gets distributed evenly. Let it drain for a minute and add to your FC. This ensures you have no standing water.

Invisiblefreetree77
king louie
Male

Loc: all across the universe
Re: what am i doin wrong? [Re: etam]
    #6447183 - 01/10/07 10:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

cool, thanks a lot fellas. do you think it would be ok if i waited to see a little bit of pinning inside the other jars before i dunk them? or could this possibly abort those pins? how many times can i continue to dunk and roll the cakes after each flush? thats about it for my questions right now, thanks again guys.

--------------------
Sinister Minister

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
Re: what am i doin wrong? [Re: freetree77]
    #6447222 - 01/10/07 10:56 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Dunk and then birth your cakes as soon as they are fully colonized. I usually got 3 flushes from each cake before I threw them out. You can probably get 4 or 5 but IMO it's not really worth it if you have fresh cakes to replace them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract