Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Ether vs activated charcoal for hash extractions
    #6432452 - 01/06/07 07:52 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

What is a cleaner method of cleansing your extractions. Ether or activated charcoal. What is activated charcoal and why is it active?

A friend of mine is telling me that using activated charcoal and proper lab filters when doing extractions is equal to or better then doing a water and ether wash.

Ether is expensive and dangerous and takes allot of time if you need to recycle it. So why would ether even be an option when you have activated charcoal and filter papers?

Does anyone know about this?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ether vs activated charcoal for hash extractions [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6437068 - 01/08/07 12:19 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I nobody is going to answer...... can someone at least give me a link to a forum that would be more appropriate for asking this question?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6437306 - 01/08/07 05:02 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

You cannot compare the two for most purposes.
In most cases, you need solvent washes and activated carbon will not do.

Activated carbon is weird stuff. One gram can have a surface area of up to 1.000 square meters. That means that if you got an impurity which tends to cling to surfaces, it will adhere to the activated carbon.

Every drug user needs to have activated carbon in their medicine cabinet, because it neutralizes many drugs in the stomach, so is a useful part of overdose treatment regimens.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: Ether vs activated charcoal for hash extractions [Re: Asante]
    #6437317 - 01/08/07 05:19 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Sort of off topic for the purpose of this thread, but you mention keeping active charcoal on hand for OD cases.

Is there a difference between the active charcoal from say, my aquarium filter vs what you would want on hand for said OD scenario?

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ether vs activated charcoal for hash extractions [Re: Schwip]
    #6437372 - 01/08/07 06:11 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I don't mind if it's off topic or not.. Please go on...... Any response is better then none.

I have used aquarium charcoal for filtering butane extracted oil before. I didn't notice a difference, but then again i haven't done butane extractions for much more then a dozen times. I was told (by an unreliable source) that the aquarium charcoal was activated.

However i don't believe that the time i used the charcoal it came out so good that the ether would do the same. I didn't use the same material as when i have done a ether, alcohol solvent, and water washing before, this will probably make a big difference. The ether-alcohol-water wash was done with fan leaves several years old and probably didn't have much to extract in the first place. However we did have quite a yield with our isomerisation experiment, it was not nearly as potent as my friend talked about (going into seizures and all) but we did create something from nothing, so to speak.

I don't believe this because i was told that the ether absorbs all of the cannabinoids and discards the rest with a water wash, because ether it is only soluble by the cannabinoids.

More on activated charcoal here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_charcoal

--------------------
----------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6438987 - 01/08/07 06:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I heard that this charcoal is not soluble by alcohol. They use charcoal filters for lots of types of alcohol distillation/production. Does this mean the the chemicals infused or absorbed inside the alcohol will pass through the charcoal filter?

- I also heard when you do extracts with alcohol, that you use ether to further cleans the solvent.

My personal experiences.......

You mix equal parts:
-water
-ether
-alcohol solvent extract

Shake them up (carefully/slowly/delicately)letting it breath after each delicate shake. THIS IS ETHER WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BE CAREFUL!!!! (I don't recommend this to anyone, for liability purposes, as well as a clear conscience.)

Let this sit in the refrigerator to lower temperature, this way your solvents evaporate slower, if at all.

The water, ether, and alcohol are soluble by different chemicals. The either has absorbed all the cannabinoids, while the water and alcohol now hold undesired chemicals and things such as, waxes, tars, chlorophyll's, resins, terpenes, etc.....

After the ether, alcohol, and water have sat in the fridge for about 15 minutes then you will see them separate into three different layers.

- The water will be black/green absorbing chlorophyll's, and other undesirables i forget which. I believe this layer is on the bottom.

- The alcohol layer will be a light yellow-green-pale color.It will absorb allot of the waxes and terpenes, and other undesirables i forget which. This layer i believe is the middle layer.

- The ether layer will be dark colored, but when you shine a flashlight on it, it will be dark blood red. This will absorb all the cannabinoids (so i have been told) Yep all 70+ cannibinoids i was told. It will be the top layer.

Find away to extract the top ether layer discarding the two bottom layers. What you are left with is ether mixed with pure cannabinoids. Let sit and evaporate, or use a hot water bath(not recommended)
Then you should have some kick ass oil.

- boiling ether is about one of the dumbest things you can do without a experienced professional, with the right equipment and knowledge. You must be aware of the temperature of the Ether while it boils. Not just the water you are using to boil. You also must be aware at the boiling points, and especially flash points of any solvent you attempt to boil. Should aways be done outside, if your not in a explosion resistant science lab, with proper fume hoods and such.

- Please nobody try this. If i may have left out some minor/but important detail, you can blow your house up, and yourself, maybe loved ones. I have only done this one time, it was with a experienced chemistry professor, who has been successful every time and has lots of experience. Not to mention all the proper glass to do thees kinds of experiments safely and properly, by the book. I am not writing a book so don't take it from me.

--------------------
----------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6439002 - 01/08/07 06:24 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Ohh yea the point of all that was. I believe because the alcohol layer was discarded because it contained undesirables, that the ether will won't absorb. The charcoal doesn't absorb the alcohol when filtered, therefore my conclusion that the ether is a much better way to clean then just charcoal and lab filters. Much more dangerous and expensive, and time consuming though......

--------------------
----------------

Offlinelearysprotoge
Stranger
    #6440067 - 01/08/07 10:27 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

How does that work if THC and all those goodies are alchohal soulbel?

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ether vs activated charcoal for hash extractions [Re: learysprotoge]
    #6440376 - 01/09/07 12:38 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Ether is soluble by only the goodies! The Alcohol is soluble by the goodies plus allot of waxes, fats, tars, terpenes, resins, etc.. When you mix them together and let them sit, They will separate because the different liquids are lighter or heavier then one another. The ether collects only what we want, and the alcohol releases cannaboids to the ether during the separation of the solvents and water.
The alcohol leaves behind the undesirables after the separation. This is the reason we shake the bottle. To mix the solvents and the chemicals inside of it. When they separate each solvent/liquid absorbs something different.

--------------------
----------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Ether vs activated charcoal for hash extractions [Re: Schwip]
    #6443073 - 01/09/07 08:22 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Is there a difference between the active charcoal from say, my aquarium filter vs what you would want on hand for said OD scenario?

Aquarium charcoal is sometimes made from any rubbish you can think of, like animal cadavers. If the emergency is great then ofcourse you can, but it is far better to go to the pharmacy and buy activated charcoal pills. Often they have a dash of artificial flavoring which is nice, and its guaranteed highest grade. Chew a full dose of them up and swallow with water.

An interesting fact of opiates is that if you inject too much heroin it still pays to take activated charcoal, because morphine-type drugs are among those rare molecules that go from the blood into the stomach, and then in the blood again.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ether vs activated charcoal for hash extractions [Re: Asante]
    #6456050 - 01/13/07 03:57 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

So can anyone prove that the alcohol extracts are passed right through a activated-charcoal filter?

--------------------
----------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains