Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFarmerD
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: US OF A BABY!!!!!!
When checking for smell
    #643492 - 05/24/02 01:23 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

When checking for smell, my friend removed the lid to a Pf jar, and the dry vermiculite layer was now wet and smaller of a layer, he checked for smell there was none really, nothing gross. He made sure to lysol the area plenty. And exhaled away from the area before opening the jar and breathing only in to smell. The jar top was lifted about an inch away, did he just doom that cake to contams? And should he be taking precautions before it gets infected? If it does.
Will he be alright? So far all of them look good.

--------------------
None of these statements are to be taken seriously. FarmerD is a fictional character, and so are the things he posts.

"He who reaches for the stars often stumble on a simple straw."
Blue Fairy Supplies for all your shrooming needs!
Special thanks to MushroomMadness for great deals!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
Re: When checking for smell [Re: FarmerD]
    #643657 - 05/24/02 02:48 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"the dry vermiculite layer was now wet and smaller of a layer"
What do you mean by that? Is the vermiculite being colonised? Why is it disappearing?

I don't open my jars if they seem fine, I don't think there's any reason to to that. You might want to keep in mind that lysol can mask any bad smell coming from your jars.

Will your friend be ok? Let's hope so! I've smelled some open jars that have been infected with wet spot bacteria. They've smelled bad, but I'm still here. I once had a jar that was colonising very slowly and it had a green spot. I didn't want to chance opening that and just got rid of the content.

I'm not sure if the jars will get contaminated. The only time I've opened jars was when they looked suspect and then just for confirmation. I've always had to get rid of the ones I opened because they were already infected.

If yours were fairly well colonised probably not. Plus you used lysol.

Good luck to you and your jars!

OfflineTSUNAMIRAY
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: When checking for smell [Re: shianggu]
    #643670 - 05/24/02 03:05 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

When checking for smell dip hug smell it a safe way for you to tell the one wif da ryme did the crime

OfflineFarmerD
journeyman
 User Gallery

Loc: US OF A BABY!!!!!!
Re: When checking for smell [Re: TSUNAMIRAY]
    #644347 - 05/25/02 05:11 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Now that last post was confusing...When I said smaller of a layer I meant seemed like it was containing moisture and tamped down from the weight of the water in vermiculite layer. There was great mycelium growth but looked like contams from brf being pushed on glass. Ended up smelling okay. The jar I checked was at about 70% colonized. If the top vermiculite layer is wet cant that cause contams. And HTF did the dry layer get moist? Is it from my incubator? The Rh is at a high 90% in there sometimes. My lids are tight and have electrical tape on them since innoculation and pressure cooking. I wonder if the dry layer is like this in other jars...hope not. Either that is mycelium all over in my jars or some cobweb...but its white. The wet layer seems not to be a problem.

Could the moisture in the dry layer be caused by rising moisture from substrate in the jar.Maybe next time Ill try the Ramsey Seal or whatever. Thanks-Beano I can't figure why I need drugs, hmmmm..must be the crack.

--------------------
None of these statements are to be taken seriously. FarmerD is a fictional character, and so are the things he posts.

"He who reaches for the stars often stumble on a simple straw."
Blue Fairy Supplies for all your shrooming needs!
Special thanks to MushroomMadness for great deals!

OfflinePsychomanium
ultimo
    #644393 - 05/25/02 06:28 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

as long as you only see white, you're fine. mycelium can turn a bit grayish and sometimes a brownish/yellowish (if dead). you should be looking for a very sharp green. as for smelling a jar for contaminates, not a very good idea. some bacteria produce lethal chem's or if you're allergic to some spores you could become very very ill/dead. about them getting contaminated from opening them, perhaps.. the mycelium can defend itself to some extent, but if too much bacteria get in then it won't have a chance. personally i've had my jars since the 5th of febuary and they've been in the jars for a month, out in the rain, exposed completely to everything, and one of them isn't even fully colonized. but they're still alive and fruiting well. fungus ain't pussies they are far more resilient than most people think

OfflineDaMigraine
Beats so hard itrequiresprotection
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: When checking for smell [Re: Psychomanium] * 1
    #644664 - 05/25/02 10:24 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thats why you are supposed to put a layer of Verm on the top, to prevent contams from getting in and fucking up yo sheeit

--------------------
I keep my posts like a bikini bottom, long enough to cover the subject... short enough to keep it interesting.

OfflineShroomNewb
enthusiast
    #644829 - 05/25/02 01:08 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I had a hard time with this too.. I suspect 3 of my failures was due to it.. and nobody ever really gave me a good answer on how to correct it.

Through my experience if your verm layer is wet it will attract contams. Using foil isn't good enough, water seems to always get under it and soak the verm layer and pssoibly alter the water ratio. Some people say use an elastic band in conjunction w ith the tinfoil.. I've never tried this. I used tinfoil in conjunction with tape over the innoculation holes. Beware though, I had to go through 5 different types of tapes before I found one that would stick on while being wet, the type I used was masking tape used for body work on vehicals.

Hope this helped.. don't give up.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags