Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrSparkles
Stranger
 User Gallery
Next grow: Organic Popcorn spawned to... worm castings/coir and/ or verm
    #6432440 - 01/06/07 07:48 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

My first grow is still going gangbusters but I'm planning my next one already. :grin:  It will be a monotub (24" x 16" x 16½").

I have 3 bags of spawn on the go as we speak.  I innoc'd a 5lbs (all weights are dry, unless otherwise stated) bag of rye with 10cc of EQ LC, a 3lbs bag of popcorn with 10cc of B+ LC, and a 5lbs bag of popcorn with 20cc of B+ LC.

The 3lbs popcorn bag is starting to show some solid growth.  I'm not sure what's going to happen with the bag of rye.  It's from a new source and I'm thinking now that it may not be organic.  That would mean that it's covered in fungicides and may not colonize.  The 5lbs bag of popcorn was done in the last 24 hours.

My plan is:

Spawn the 3lbs bag of popcorn to a 50/50 (more or less) bulk of 10 liters of worm castings and one brick of coco coir (650 grams... approx. 11 liters (see  this thread).

I know the coir will provide more than enough moisture (one brick holds 1 gallon of water) but I'm curious if there's any advantages to mixing, or even substituting, the coir with vermiculite.

As well, I used worm casting 'tea' to hydrate the coir with my first (and current) grow.  I've had no problems but from perusing through the vast pool of information and experiences here, I haven't found anything concrete regarding advantages or disadvantages of using the 'tea' to hydrate the coir.  I've discovered in my last couple of searches that coir has (more or less) the same nutrients as the worm castings. 

As well, I'm curious as to pH adjustments.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but a slightly higher pH (~8) will help fight off contaminants.  Is it worth the money to purchase a pH meter to monitor the pH level of the bulk substrate?  If I want to buffer the substrate, what should I be using?

Further to my query, I've been doing some research on coffee grounds.  I'm planning on using nitrogen rich materials (worm castings, etc) so is this necessary?  Do coffee grounds provide any other function (ie. pH buffering, etc)?

In closing, I'm looking for suggestions to maximize yields from a B+ popcorn spawn in a large monotub.  Any input at all, particularly from the experienced growers here (you know who you are), would be greatly appreciated.  I still have some time to prepare so I plan to make the best of it.

Cheers and Happy Growing!

Sparks

Attention Fellow Newbs: THE SEARCH ENGINE ROCKS... USE IT!  If you're having difficulty using it, PM me and I will help you.

--------------------
I'm a street walking cheetah
with a heart full of napalm
I'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb

- Search & Destroy by Iggy Pop & The Stooges

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrfting07
Stranger

Re: Next grow: Organic Popcorn spawned to... worm castings/coir and/ or verm [Re: MrSparkles]
    #6433030 - 01/06/07 10:35 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

hey man, just a few words of advice. If your using popcorn, add a lil gypsum (calcium carbonate) to the mix before you pc it. Dont add much, maybe a teaspoon per two or three lbs of grain. This will keep trich. down. Also coffee is a great additive to coco coir. I used 15% coffee to coco coir and that was about as much as i feel comfortable using. Deff. throw a lil gypsum in with it and buy some ph test strips at wal-mart of lowes to check the ph level. You want it close to 7. Pasturize at 160-180 for 30 minutes then let the water cool to room temps and squeeze all the water u can out of it.

Good luck man
Drfting07

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder