Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA]
    #6428715 - 01/05/07 05:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Woman settles suit in flour condoms case
January 4, 2007 - philly.com
By John Shiffman

A Bryn Mawr College student wrongly jailed for three weeks on drug charges by Philadelphia police has settled her civil-rights case for $180,000.

Janet H. Lee, now a senior, was arrested at Philadelphia International Airport in 2003 after screeners found three condoms filled with white powder in her carry-on and city police said field tests showed that the substances likely contained opium and cocaine.

Lee was held in lieu of $500,000 bond for 21 days, until further drug testing proved that her unlikely story - that the powder was just flour - was true.

As part of an exam ritual in her dorm, Lee had filled the condoms with flour to make a phallic toy that freshmen squeezed to reduce stress. She had found it so funny that she had packed them to take home to California to show friends after exams.

Lee's civil-rights case against the city had been scheduled for trial today in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia.

"Everyone wants their day in court, so it was difficult" to settle, in part because she will never know why the flour initially tested positive for drugs, she said yesterday.

"It's like everyone was at fault, but no one was responsible," Lee said.

At least, she said, the settlement means she will not have to testify about what it is like to spend three weeks in a city jail for a crime she did not commit, particularly after spending much of the last three years working to heal herself psychologically.

"Part of going to trial would have meant that I have to acknowledge losses and admit that this had damaged me," she said. "I didn't want to have to admit that."

Lynne Sitarski, chief deputy of the city solicitor's civil-rights division, said the city "is not admitting wrongdoing or liability."

The settlement, the city lawyer said, was "in the best interests of the city."

Lee, now 21, was not physically injured while jailed, said her lawyer, Jeffrey Ibrahim.

One of the settlement provisions allows Lee to meet with city police to discuss what happened.

"Leadership is going to sit down and listen with her to see what went on," Ibrahim said.

Lee has heard criticism that carrying white substances onto an airplane was a foolhardy act. But, she said yesterday, she did not know at the time that drug dealers often carry drugs in condoms. "I was naive, really stupid," she said.

Nonetheless, her lawyer said, the police drug test should not have detected drugs.

"Under the circumstances, something went terribly wrong," Ibrahim said. "We're trying to ensure that nothing like that ever happens again."

Asked if others had successfully sued or settled claims involving false-positive drug tests in Philadelphia in the last two or three years, Sitarski said that no one had.

Lee, a comparative literature major, said she planned to use the settlement money to pay for graduate school, though she has not determined what kind of graduate work she will pursue. Law school is an unlikely option, she said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineK1wI
Tortilla Army
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: veggie]
    #6428728 - 01/05/07 05:25 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

once again, being a moron pays off.

--------------------
"It's all bla bla bla... and then nothing more."

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: K1wI]
    #6428936 - 01/05/07 06:51 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I don't understand. All the security bullshit going on these days at airports and this ditz doesn't think anything of carrying 3 rubbers filled with flour?? People this dumb really scare me.

Did she think there wasn't gonna be rubbers and flour where she was going?

Offlinefunkyjunky
Sigh Low Sippin'
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: brick city
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: K1wI]
    #6428943 - 01/05/07 06:53 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, the cops were the morons for not considering her valid explanation, and she was smart for pursuing constitutionally protected freedoms.

--------------------
Long Live the Shroomery
Peace

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: funkyjunky]
    #6428987 - 01/05/07 07:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

180k?.....I'd do up to a year in the pen for that. Assuming there would be no rape.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: musher_420]
    #6429580 - 01/05/07 09:56 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

musher_420 said:
180k?.....I'd do up to a year in the pen for that. Assuming there would be no rape.

Not me....no amount of money is worth my freedom.

--------------------
All the people you knew were the actors

InvisibleSaturnGlass
So white andnerdy
Loc: The other side
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: truffleupagus]
    #6429592 - 01/05/07 10:03 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

truffleupagus said:
I don't understand. All the security bullshit going on these days at airports and this ditz doesn't think anything of carrying 3 rubbers filled with flour?? People this dumb really scare me.

Did she think there wasn't gonna be rubbers and flour where she was going?

Ever think it was all planned from the beginning? Then she wouldn't be so dumb ehh?

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: S.W. Louisiana
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: SaturnGlass]
    #6429733 - 01/05/07 11:14 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

She distracted the fucktards for the 6 other people carrying 50 condoms a piece to get through.. and I'd be willing to bet the condoms that made it through had powdered sugar in 'em!

--------------------

I HATE people who take drugs.
Like cops, DEA agents and custom officials

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: musher_420]
    #6429919 - 01/06/07 01:32 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

musher_420 said:

What about if there was 2 rapes?

Ha, ha. I've heard from many people that prison is cake. Everyone's so scared of it because they want you to be. In reality people in prison are people just like you and me. Lots of drug crimes, white color crimes, and other petty stuff. They don't just throw you in with murderers. The rape thing is also overblown, I've heard that there's so many gays in prison that anyone who wants ass fucking can get it easily, they don't have to rape someone.

Anyway, I'd to 2 years in medium security prison for that money. That's 90K a year! I'd kick back read some books, write a book (book deal would be worth another 50K), watch cable TV, and enjoy my three hot meals a day and the free room and board.

Anyone willing to do 3 years? (60K/yr)

-FF

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: fastfred]
    #6429938 - 01/06/07 01:58 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Can't say I've been in prison...

but I think as far as the "rape thing being overblown", it simply has to depend on where you're at.

But I agree, fear is the most powerful thing about prison. Am I terrified of being isolated and having nothing to do but read, work, live in a tiny box, and eat shit food every day (sounds like college, heh)? Eh, I wouldn't say I would look forward to such a thing, but it doesn't chill me to the bone.

What scares me? Getting raped, and getting the shit kicked out of me regularly. And obviously, the government knows this. I'm not saying that it isn't a damn good scare tactic. I'm just saying you haven't really convinced me that prison is such a safe place to be.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #6430084 - 01/06/07 03:23 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I'm sure their are some downsides to being in prison, but it's not like in the movies.

In the movies it's nothing but huge, extremely violent criminals. In reality it's just average Joes. Think of how many people are in prison for stealing, tax evasion, identity fraud, statutory rape, embezzelment, drugs, etc..

It's also a fairly closed system. Any crimes are guaranteed to be caught and there are no guns.

A lot of city streets are more dangerous. If anything happens to you they have to beat you to death or shank you, and one of those would happen before I'd let myself be raped. They don't put lifers and people who are going to get out together, so if someone wants to ever get out they have to behave.

The biggest downside is not getting laid. That's the real bummer.

There is enough homosexuality going on in prisons to satisfy anyone who swings that way, so rapes are fairly rare.

That's what I've been told by someone who did about 15 years. He always told me that if he could get laid once a month in the joint he'd check himself right back in.

-FF

Offlineimpgl
CrimethINCspecial agent
 User Gallery
Loc: california!
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: fastfred]
    #6430605 - 01/06/07 10:14 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

nah jail sucks

Invisiblemarybell
sALLy.caNt.daNce
Female

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: impgl]
    #6430763 - 01/06/07 11:07 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

lol this is inzaaaane!  :backflip: she's obviously a fuckhead or think it was worth it. No one can be that braindead?

however the judicial system is gay  :pirate:

InvisibleburtonRebel
Male

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: marybell]
    #6430914 - 01/06/07 12:01 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

laadies and gentlemen, thats called being a fucking sleeze and playing the system. i hate sleezeballs.

--------------------
Wreck yourself before you check yourself

Invisiblemarybell
sALLy.caNt.daNce
Female

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: burtonRebel]
    #6430934 - 01/06/07 12:09 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

burtonRebel said:
laadies and gentlemen, thats called being a fucking sleeze and playing the system. i hate sleezeballs.

:thumbup:!

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: SaturnGlass]
    #6431178 - 01/06/07 01:26 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SaturnGlass said:
Ever think it was all planned from the beginning? Then she wouldn't be so dumb ehh?

Well, yeah.  If it was planned then she's a little mastermind.

Thumbs up for playing the system. :thumbup:

Offlineblacksun
 User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: truffleupagus]
    #6431343 - 01/06/07 02:16 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

obviously its fucking planned.
i bet there are gonna be streaks of that shit coming out now.

--------------------
uarewotueat - "Libs are messy as hell, I don't know whether to take a shit or get a haircut when I'm on them!"

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: blacksun]
    #6431425 - 01/06/07 02:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

That would be interesting... People intentionally interfering with the ability to press drug charges on someone by presenting situations such as this. They would have to be more careful.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6431431 - 01/06/07 02:45 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

If they could prove intent in court; however, they could press obstruction of justice charges. Doing it as an act in the war on drugs could back-fire if one left evidence that it was intentional and premeditated. If they were able to demonstrate intent, they would really fuck you out of spite.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineTrancedShroom
Mr. Hanky
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rippin Waves
Re: Woman Receives $180K After Being Jailed For Flour Possession [PA] [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6431786 - 01/06/07 04:20 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
If they could prove intent in court; however, they could press obstruction of justice charges. Doing it as an act in the war on drugs could back-fire if one left evidence that it was intentional and premeditated. If they were able to demonstrate intent, they would really fuck you out of spite.

Then they could sue her back for %180,000. After she paid taxes on the $180 grand, she would be fucked because then she would have to pay a full 1800000 and she would only have like 120. LOL

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom