Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Potato Dextrose

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Hiding Out in the Mountains
    #6427655 - 01/05/07 01:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Fuck it.

My flight leaves Midway in Chicago tomorrow morning at 6.

I'm heading town to Tennessee to see some of the relations and hide out in the Great Smokey Mountains for a couple of weeks. No Intraweb, No Cable, No Shoes, and a suitcase full of books.

I just need to get away for awhile, and this is really my only chance to do it. Work is slow, its winter break from school, and I dont have shit else to do.

Gonna check out some interesting parks, climb Lookout Mountain, tour the JD distillery, and otherwise laze away 13 days in one of my favorite hick parts of the country.

I'll send you guys a postcard.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Hiding Out in the Mountains [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #6427689 - 01/05/07 01:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You'll probably pass close to here, have fun :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #6427699 - 01/05/07 01:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cool man, have a great time. What's on your reading list?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Hiding Out in the Mountains [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6427721 - 01/05/07 01:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Probably nothing you would find terribly exciting.

Its mostly non-fiction, science or history related.

One fiction book that I'm halfway through that I heartily reccomend is "River of Gods", by Ian Mcdonald.

http://www.amazon.com/River-Gods-Ian-McDonald/dp/1591024366

I'm not usually a science fiction reader, but this is a stellar book.

I'm not at home, so dont have my books in front of me, but some of the things I know I have in my bag...

A Short History of Nearly Everything
A three piece Civil War history by Bruce Catton, of which I've read one.
Agincourt-The battle that made England

I'm such a nerd.

:)

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Male

#6427725 - 01/05/07 01:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm going to St. John for a week at the end of this month and already bought a copy of A Short History of Nearly Everything to bring with me.

And for sci-fi I got Snow Crash to bring with me too. :tongue: We ain't so different me and you, ya see?!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlineeuphoricpoison
Expand your Mind
Male User Gallery
Loc: NewYork
    #6427757 - 01/05/07 02:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

St Johns the college? Is that in long Island?

Male

Re: Hiding Out in the Mountains [Re: euphoricpoison]
    #6427777 - 01/05/07 02:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

St. John the island in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I avoid Long Island like the plague. :tongue:

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Offlinederyl
Stranger
Male

Loc: Uncle Tom's
    #6427891 - 01/05/07 02:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think you'll have too much trouble climbing Lookout Mountian, it's basically a ridge.

if you go to Ruby Falls be sure to point out the two pumps clearly visible behind the waterfall that during nearly a year as a tour guide only one person was smart enough to recognize.

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

#6427916 - 01/05/07 02:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Snow Crash is such an awesome book.

have fun madtown, the weather is perfect for hiking and camping right now.

InvisibleAmatoxin
Injected With A Poison

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not So Great Britain
    #6427951 - 01/05/07 03:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

A Short History of Nearly Everything sounds like an interesting read. Just downloaded a copy to convert to LIT format so I can read it on my PDA. Cheers for the tip off  :smile:

--------------------

Sectioned Under The Mental Health Act Sat 20-10-07 to Thurs 01-11-07 for playing TECHNO music

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Hiding Out in the Mountains [Re: Amatoxin]
    #6428114 - 01/05/07 03:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Its a great book, as far as I can tell from the first few chapters.

I dont usually buy books, because I go through them so fast. But I got a Barnes & Noble gift card for X-Mas, and after reading a bit of "Short History", I bought it and packed it away for the airplane ride.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Potato Dextrose

Community >> The Pub