Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Cannabis Culture Grow Questions "we" never seem to have the answers to
    #6374051 - 12/15/06 12:58 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

As an aspiring horticulturist (and I do mean horticulture generally) I have found that some problems have presented themselves when approaching the process of cannabis cultivation which don't seem to have immediate answers.
1. Lovely to plant seedlings in bio-degradable starter pots. But they are no use if they take 2-3 months to bio-degrade. If you pot seedlings in starter compost in a root enclosing bio-degradable in the 20litre (or whatever) pot you intend to grow it on in you want a range of pots which will bio-degrade in 3/4/5 weeks (this touches on the obviously vexed issue of to "nute" or not to "nute" your potting compost mix -liquid feeding is easier to control-). Anyone know any m.j friendly bio-pot brands (or want to start producing some)?
2.Try buying peat-free organic compost without added "nutes", t'aint easy. Why not?
3. If compost producers gave the percentage of fertilisers and/or slow release "nutes" contained in their compost on their packaging and advertising everyones lives would be a lot simpler. Why don't they do this?

:discodance:

My current idea is to use "strap" bottomed bio-degradables which can be cut and the root ball and plant either gently slid through the collar into the larger pot thereby achieving a minimisation of root disturbance (which is possible if the starter pots are straight sided) or to simply gently cut the pots away. I am suspicious that planting out in fibre pots may restrict lateral root development unduly (you see slowly bio-degrading pots -either open or closed bottomed- may degrade too slowly and impede lateral development. which is I guess my major beef here).

Edited by Silverwolf (12/15/06 01:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

Loc: Oompa loompa land
Re: Cannabis Culture Grow Questions "we" never seem to have the answers to [Re: Silverwolf]
    #6374402 - 12/15/06 02:48 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Screw bio pots easier to just use rockwool cubes or starter pots like a normal plant.Root distubance is not much of an issue look ad hydroponics the roots are in constant turmoil popping it out of a pot and into a bigger one should be little problem unless you're all "hulk smash get pot out of pot"

To answer #2 I don't think there is really a problem with that I do mix my own nute free up,but that isn't in everyones budget or space limits (kinda hard to keep multi cu ft bags around) You can also "flush it" and get all the nutes out with lots of water then re nute as desired.

:spent a couple years working in a greenhous took all the effort out of it,just make the shit you can find work like what you couldn't:

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Re: Cannabis Culture Grow Questions "we" never seem to have the answers to [Re: Silverwolf]
    #6374963 - 12/15/06 06:36 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

1. Don't know of any pots that degrade that fast. As long as those pots are in the ground and wet on both sides the roots grow right threw em anyway.

2. Cause it doesn't sell. When they sell or have a high demand for something they make it.

3. Because compost is pretty much changing all time. The nutrient numbers change also. In other words a bag of compost will have different numbers in two months then it would have now.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Culture Grow Questions "we" never seem to have the answers to [Re: Mr420]
    #6379659 - 12/17/06 03:00 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr420 said:
Screw bio pots easier to just use rockwool cubes or starter pots like a normal plant.Root distubance is not much of an issue look ad hydroponics the roots are in constant turmoil popping it out of a pot and into a bigger one should be little problem unless you're all "hulk smash get pot out of pot"

To answer #2 I don't think there is really a problem with that I do mix my own nute free up,but that isn't in everyones budget or space limits (kinda hard to keep multi cu ft bags around) You can also "flush it" and get all the nutes out with lots of water then re nute as desired.

:spent a couple years working in a greenhous took all the effort out of it,just make the shit you can find work like what you couldn't:

I'm very suspicious of any system that seems to over-stimulate plant roots (maybe just me) and I feel that natural organic composts maybe a more root friendly environment that rockwool (again maybe just me).

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #6381422 - 12/17/06 09:42 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

1. well i dont use starter pots... cuttings go straight from the aeroponic propogator into their main growing pots, thus eliminating the need for lots of small pots and minimalising root disturbance.

2. why peat free? the soil mix i use is 35% peat, before i add more coir and perlite to it anyway. it has no added nutrient though.
and i root in jiffy plugs, which are compressed peat...

3. i dont think its really important to have that information, just assume that there are "some" nutrients contained within the soil mixture and dont over feed them, its easy to see when a plant has been over fertilised anyway. if so, just flush it out with only water for a day or two then continue as before.

any more questions that "we" dont have an answer to? :tongue:

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Culture Grow Questions "we" never seem to have the answers to [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #6390461 - 12/20/06 02:03 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Just one, "you" don't answer the peat issue. Our peat bogs are sensitive eco-systems close to extinction, it takes thousands of years to produce peat "we" don't have the right to destroy it when there are perfectly viable alternatives (yes, and you whisky drinkers!).

--------------------
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #6393611 - 12/21/06 10:52 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

hehe fair enough,
i was thinking along the lines of the plants, didnt consider the environmental side of it here.

i dont drink whiskey anyway :grin:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinecoopypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Culture Grow Questions "we" never seem to have the answers to [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #6402842 - 12/27/06 05:11 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

ok this is easy
1. been answered, jiffy plugs

2. make your own soil, you need 3 things, peat or coir, i perfer coir as its cleaner and a very eco friendly product, perlite, and some sort of manure, you can use cow chicken or worm, i perfer worm castings, no smell, no burn, but lasts longs and plants seems to love it. mix the 3 about equally.

as long as your not buying miracle grow most soil mixes are light and will not burn therefore nothing is listed

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis Culture Grow Questions "we" never seem to have the answers to [Re: coopypants]
    #6422048 - 01/03/07 04:22 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Do the plants burn the nitrates out before whilst veging? Is composted manure preferable? What percentage of manure to compost do you use? How do you avoid tiger worms in your compost (I've thought of using liquid manure for this very reason)?

--------------------
"Arafel."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate