Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineESanceOfCyan
MushroomMogul
Male User Gallery

Loc: SeaTown
Elfin Saddle & Blewits
    #6400154 - 12/23/06 07:15 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Ive recently found and confirmed the Elfin Saddle(The false Morel). Other than para boiling/blanching or drying....how should i prepare them for the table? The taste is said to be very like the true Morel.
I have also found some Blewits but other than that i cant narrow them down...anyone point me towards a good resource on Blewits?
My Blewit Description:
Cap: Brown to Buff, around 4inches across, plane for most part and the edges were slightly in-curved.
Gills: Purple/Lilac to white when dry, Close not to crowded
Stipe: 3-4 inches tall, slightly bulbous, tinged with Purple/lilac
Spores: Appear to be White.
Habitat: wood-chips/ rhododendrons/ shrubs
Any Guess? OR just a GOOd resource?

--------------------
Save Marc

www.emeryseeds.com
Holy dog shit! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?
-Gunnery Sergeant Hartman(Full-Metal Jacket)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Elfin Saddle & Blewits [Re: ESanceOfCyan]
    #6400321 - 12/23/06 08:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

False Morels are not recommended for eating regardless of preparation method. There are numerous problems with them. First, even according to professionals, they are extremely difficult to identify accurately to species. Second, the primary toxin is volatile, so you can be poisoned while parboiling them without even eating them, just by inhaling near them. Third, the toxin shows no symptoms until you are close to a lethal dose, so the is little or no warning. Fourth, it takes days for the toxin to be removed from your body by your liver, and even small amounts can then poison you on a later day. Fifth, in many of the false morels there are also other toxins that are strong carcinogens.

Those are just off the top of my head. The only positive I have is that, fortunately, fatalities are rare from them. There are too many good edible mushrooms around to need to bother with eating potentially lethal ones.

There are 2 things you should verify on your possible Blewits (other than what you've describe so far). First, look carefully at the stem and verify that there is no ring, veil, or volva. Second, do a spore print on white paper - it should come out a pale pinkish tan. If you can verify those 2 things, then you have Blewits.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineESanceOfCyan
MushroomMogul
Male User Gallery

Re: Elfin Saddle & Blewits [Re: ToxicMan]
    #6400599 - 12/23/06 09:51 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I know that it contains rocket fuel.....but there seams to be much debate and confusion over the Black Elfin Saddle. Most say is edible, others argue about the toxins. I'm unsure i probably wont eat them. I didn't eat a Shaggy parasol this year either for the same reason. Any one with any personal experience with this mushroom?

--------------------
Save Marc

www.emeryseeds.com
Holy dog shit! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?

OfflineESanceOfCyan
MushroomMogul
Male User Gallery

#6421020 - 01/03/07 09:44 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

*bump*

--------------------
Save Marc

www.emeryseeds.com

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #6421726 - 01/03/07 02:31 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I would listen to what ToxicMan had to say.

Definately do not eat any fake Morels.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract