Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineraydog311
Stranger
psilocybe cyanescens look alikes * 2
    #6418054 - 01/02/07 12:33 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

hello everyone, i have just found a large amount of what look to be psilocybe cyanescens in the woodchip path going to the back of my property. the only thing is is they dont bruise blue. i was wondering if they would still be psycoactive(sp?)? i am guessing no, also are there any look alikes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: raydog311]
    #6418074 - 01/02/07 12:37 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome to the shroomery. Your hunch that you don't have cyans is probably correct. Blue bruising is a hallmark of the species (it's what the word cyanescens means!). There are lots and lots of wood loving mushrooms, and there are several that have a passing resemblence to cyans, including deadly galerinas.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: xmush]
    #6418096 - 01/02/07 12:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Xmush is right!
Several mushrooms look quiet like Cyanescens but without having a white stem (some Cyans tend to have a more brown to yellow stem which can be quiet aberrant) but they always!!! blue when they are touched too hard. If you press the stem it turns blue in less then five minutes. That's for sure. So be careful with those mushrooms you found. they might be just the wrong ones (Galerina)!

PS: I guess you don't have any pics for you didn't post any, am I right?

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: Fahkface]
    #6418123 - 01/02/07 12:48 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Could be Tubarias or Galerinas or something else. Here is a comparison of a cyn vs. tubaria.

--------------------

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: CureCat]
    #6418133 - 01/02/07 12:52 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:
Could be Tubarias or Galerinas or something else.  Here is a comparison of a cyn vs. tubaria.

The Cyan is the one on the right :wink:

Offlineraydog311
Stranger
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: Fahkface]
    #6418170 - 01/02/07 01:01 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i have the one on the left it has the brownish fleshy stem.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

#6418179 - 01/02/07 01:03 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Well, then you have been right with your consideration.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #6418201 - 01/02/07 01:09 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Cyans have pure whit solid stems which bruise blue and no visible annulus or veil (ring) on the stem, even naturally they bruise blue while growing depending in falling objects such as leaves, people kicking them as they walk through a patch without knowing about them, rain and wind and cold all bring bluing about,.

Galerina's and deadly Conocybe species have ochrceous-orange to orange brown to cinnamon buff stems with a ring, sometimes white and sometimes orange-brown to cinnamon. And they never stain blue.

Both have wavy caps but the white stems distinguish Psilocybe cyanescens formthat of the deadly look-a-likes.

mj

Offlineoldiebutnewbie
Stranger thansome perhaps,less so thanothers.
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6435734 - 01/07/07 06:18 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Wow! Thank you all for a clear and informative identification.
OBN

--------------------
OBN

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: oldiebutnewbie]
    #6436414 - 01/07/07 09:02 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Mjshroomer:

When the cyanescens are young they have a fiibrillose veil, like spider webs kind of.

It is very unnoticeable but i am pretty sure i have seen a ring around the stalk where the veil used to be connected once. It is quite unnoticeable, and just like a pellicle for cyanescens should probably not be a key factor when doing our identification. I would even go as far to say it doesn't exist for most cases (reviewing my pictures now)

However if there is a veil (which there is) there should be some slight possibility there could be somewhat of a ring left behind.

-PS i never check. There are more important things to be considered. I was shown by my mushroom mentor.

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
    #6436617 - 01/07/07 09:55 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

It's definitely subjective.
There is nothing in the world that looks like a cyanescen to me... Except for cyanescens of course.  :smirk:  :tongue:

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6438258 - 01/08/07 01:25 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I too have images in my library of P. cyanescens with a slightly and somewhat lightly, partially visable fiibrillose veil. But it is not a recognizable feature used for identification in P. cyanescens.

mj

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6440178 - 01/08/07 11:13 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

MJ: Strange, i have always seen one.I would think to use it for my ID Maybe i don't check enough. Do you got some pics in your Library of buttons without a fibrillose veil? In my picture they are a little bigger then buttons (in my opinion) so i figure anything smaller then that should have a veil. Would i be wrong to assume this?

Is it possible it could leave a slightly visable ring? I know it is not likely to happen, but a possibility?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Offlineroad apple
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: vancouver island
    #7508654 - 10/11/07 11:52 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

wow excellent post. I have been trying to identify cayans but info has been sketchy. thanks

OfflineEl Zorro
in heaven
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: road apple]
    #7508780 - 10/11/07 12:32 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

weepin' jeezus on the crawuss  :adam1975:

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: CureCat]
    #11238036 - 10/13/09 07:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

*bump*

Okay sorry I know this thread is super old, but I am reviving it because cyanescens season is getting into full swing and I feel this thread has wonderful information for newbies who don't yet know how to identify mushrooms. Sry if you don't agree.

A few other tips - always take a sporeprint. Psilocybe spores look kinda purplish when you look at them on the mushroom itself, kinda purplish/brownish to even somewhat black when you actually take the print. Galerinas have orangish-tannish brown prints. As a general rule, white-sporeprinted mushrooms are not active and can be dangerous (tho there may be rare exceptions.)

Cyanescens (and azurescens) have a white rather-silky looking stipe that bruises bluish/greenish/purplish depending on how you look at it, when handled. The cap will also bruise likewise. The caps of cyanescens sp. are generally notedly wavy once mature (thus why they're called Wavy Caps) though do not rely on this feature alone as some lookalikes can grow with a wavy looking cap as seen in the above pic comparing the cyan to the tubaria sp.

This thread would be a good one to sticky =)

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: Magick]
    #11238055 - 10/13/09 07:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree that bumping it for now is ok. However, I am not a friend of stickifying all threads that have lots of useful information. You have to admit that if we did that here then the first two forum pages would be nothing but the always same stickified threads. In the light of this, my opinion is: Make it part of the FAQ? Yes. Stickify it? No.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineMagick
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11243978 - 10/14/09 02:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Okay yeah that's probably a better idea. I just don't want this info to get stuck at the very end of the forum or (worse) deleted. That first pic especially was one of the first that truly showed me the difference between cyans and other similar species :smile:

I think it's good for those who are new at hunting to see it.

InvisibleMystery420
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: Magick]
    #11310798 - 10/24/09 09:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This page should be linked to in here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9172335

--------------------
"I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want."
-Jimi Hendrix

So fuck ya'll all of ya'll If ya'll don't like me blow me

Offlineaamon
your own personal jesus
Male

Loc: washington Flag
Re: psilocybe cyanescens look alikes [Re: Mystery420]
    #11311137 - 10/24/09 10:53 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i keep finding ones just like the pic on the left, but i cant find a Cyanescens to save my life

--------------------
Before you ask the answer is Yes, you have to say the whole thing and yes you have to say it every time, and yes that includes the "a pimp named" part.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale