Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard?
    #6412520 - 12/31/06 01:52 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Can anyone give me an idea where to start? I have a place to pick A.Muscaria so i can obtain spores, and or the mushroom itself to uses as living mycelium.

My main questions are:
What substrate should i use?
-should i use cardboard to make a culture, or inoculate via spores and spray bottle?
-I know cold temps is good for fruits, what about mycelia growth?
-Are they susceptible to contamination, or relatively vigorous?
-Has anyone been successfully with this?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6412569 - 12/31/06 02:31 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i haven't heard anyone seriously growing amanitas.

--------------------

Offlineetam
it's a hobby...
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: East Coast
Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #6412576 - 12/31/06 02:33 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Neither have I. I hear they pretty much have to be grown outside.

From http://www.shroomery.org/8670/Amanita-Notes ...

"Cultivation

Amanita muscaria cultivation in a lab environment has always been an impossibility due to the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship of this mushroom to its host trees. But if one has the necessary host trees in their area, and resides in the proper temperate zone or elevation, try and simply take a few dried or fresh caps that are in sporination (fully flattened or upturning with longitudinal tears along the striations), crush them up thoroughly, and mix the crushings into the top soil. See if it will take. If one doesn't want to make the initial investment of the caps simply chop up the stems from sporinating specimens, which will naturally have collected some of the falling spores, and mix with the soil. Clark Heinrich states that he simply buries the stems under the proper host tree for cultivation, but then again he probably lives the the perfect environment. I would recommend that this be done in the Fall soon after the fruiting season or in early Spring so that the spores can receive their proper life cycle. My own observations (I've yet to actually learn this) of Amanita muscaria growth suggest that mycelia growth takes place primarily throughout the Spring and Summer months and is highly dependent on rain and soil moisture preceding the Fall fruiting. If the season is dry just water your mushroom garden every few days. A host tree in a large container that can be left outdoors year round may be a candidate for cultivation if one is in the right zone."

I really know nothing about amanitas...

OfflineCantiSama

#6412585 - 12/31/06 02:39 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

you can't cultivate them indoors (effectively) because they are mycorhizal and cannot grow without a symbiotic relationship to a certain kind of tree (which i can't remember, conifers maybe?). you could probably get something working outside if you have the proper environmental conditions and trees though. perhaps burying mycelium in the ground around the tree, but i really don't know the specifics.

--------------------
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: etam]
    #6412673 - 12/31/06 03:25 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

one of the trees is pine, the other one is birch. at least around here.

--------------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: CantiSama]
    #6412687 - 12/31/06 03:34 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for the info. I will be attempting outdoor cultivation. What about simply taking the caps, collecting the spores on a glass picture frame, scraping them into a bowl of water, and then into a spray bottle. Can't i spray the right trees in the right outdoor environment? I also intend on taking the living stems and burying them, now i know it is a symbiotic relationship between the mycelium and the tree rootlets? Is this correct? My finds are usually near a madrone tree. But i have come across them almost 50' from any tree on a lawn in a park.

-This spot fruited twice last year. Its fruiting again under a madrone tree

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6412709 - 12/31/06 03:50 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

imo if you take amanitas from under a certain type of tree you have to bury it to a tree of similar species. if you want to grow them near your house or smt then first see what trees grow around there and then go look for amanitas in the wild that grow under similar trees. take those & try your luck.

--------------------

Invisibledeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
    #6412807 - 12/31/06 06:14 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

hi pscyanescens
here is something you could try, i will, if and when i finally find some fruiting.
take some of those hydroponic type pots,or make them out of ordinary flower pots with holes melted all around the sides.fill the pot with soil from directly below and around a mushroom you have just collected,bury the pot to within an inch of the top if poss (right where the mush was)
and sow seed into the pot of whatever host tree it was growing with.
my thinking is that if there is some microbial benefactors needed for the mush and
host to 'hook up' they may still be present in the soil to help the myc penetrate the seeds as
they germinate.give them a couple of months and transplant to a new site...and wait.
i remember reading,i think, of truffles being cultivated using a similar technique.

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

Invisibledeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
    #6412810 - 12/31/06 06:21 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

hi pscyanescens
here is something you could try, i will, if and when i finally find some fruiting.
take some of those hydroponic type pots,or make them out of ordinary flower pots with holes melted all around the sides.fill the pot with soil from directly below and around a mushroom you have just collected,bury the pot to within an inch of the top if poss (right where the mush was)
and sow seed into the pot of whatever host tree it was growing with.
my thinking is that if there is some microbial benefactors needed for the mush and
host to 'hook up' they may still be present in the soil to help the myc penetrate the seeds as
they germinate.give them a couple of months and transplant to a new site...and wait.
i remember reading,i think, of truffles being cultivated using a similar technique.
oops sorry 'bout the double post

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

Edited by deucedbi9 (12/31/06 06:23 AM)

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: deucedbi9]
    #6412843 - 12/31/06 07:20 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

in general i don't see a point in growing them indoors... amanita isn't like cubensis: you don't eat/grow it in bulk. amanitas depends on the preparation. just go into the woods where they grow in the fall and pick bucketfulls, go home and slice them to potato chips/drain their oil/take the skin from their caps & discard the left overs. stock up for the winter.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6412899 - 12/31/06 08:45 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Don't waste your time,just be happy you know of a place to pick them

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6414362 - 12/31/06 06:49 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I don't intend on spending too much time and effort. If there is a way i could at least increase the number of mushrooms growing in my spots then it would be better for picture purposes, and study. I already picked my mature Amanita today. I am keeping the cap for spore prints, and i buried the stem close to the tree it was growing under. I found another button, about 6" tall and will use this for cultivation near my home. I found them growing under madrone trees and there are plenty on my property. I will experiment with pots and seedlings as well as simply planting stems under madrone trees.

Here are my findings today, and what i intend to use for my cultivation experiments.

--------------------
----------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6414365 - 12/31/06 06:53 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Blutjager: learning is never a waste of time.

--------------------
----------------

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
    #6414625 - 12/31/06 09:56 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pscyanescens said: learning is never a waste of time.

but trying to grow amanita muscaria is....

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6414702 - 12/31/06 10:57 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

What you call a waste of time is your own opinion. I may come across so information involving the cultivation of A.Muscaria that other may be interested in. To say nobody is interested is just ignorant. My experiments will be conducted no matter what other opinions are involved.

So can anyone help me rather then discourage me??

--------------------
----------------

Offlineeuphoricpoison
Expand your Mind
Male User Gallery
Loc: NewYork
    #6414710 - 12/31/06 11:03 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

The reason they say its a waste of time is because its mad hard and it takes years, do some research. There not like cubes.

Offlinecubenessence
Stranger
    #6414718 - 12/31/06 11:10 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

You're not trying to eat these are you?

--------------------
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
-- Sir Winston Churchill

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita Muscaria cultivation.. easy or hard? [Re: cubenessence]
    #6414729 - 12/31/06 11:22 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

-Well i have never grown cubbies just so everyone knows that.

-I dont intend on eating them. I just want good pics and something to do experiments on. Hopefully test for percentages of toxins, if i do allot more research. But mostly pictures.

-So it is hard? This means it is not impossible.

I want my own pictures like this

--------------------
----------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6414829 - 01/01/07 12:18 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Why would it take years? Does it take that long for the mycelium to develop into a large enough mass to produce a fruit?
I can see the progression of the mycelia growth in my present picking areas. It seems to be no more then 20" from the original first find.

--------------------
----------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6414840 - 01/01/07 12:29 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

The pursuit of knowledge is never waste of time. I don't care what you are researching. People claim that Chanterelles are impossible to grow. Does that mean the whole world should ignore them and the factors involved in their possible cultivation? Just because they are edible and A.Muscaria is worthless to most people, does that mean we should ignore them, and everyone is wasting their time trying to learn about the conditions, parameters, and enviorment in which they grow?

- Its all matter of opinion. People say i should cut off my dogs balls because he is a pitbull because the world doesn't need anymore. Other people say they are the one of the best, most loyal companions you can have, and they would love to have one of my dogs pups. "Make sure you breed him" is what i hear. Who is to say they are worthless.

--------------------
----------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate