Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free
    #6408051 - 12/29/06 12:49 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Ancient ice shelf snaps and breaks free from the Canadian Arctic

Updated Fri. Dec. 29 2006 12:08 PM ET

Steve Lillebuen , Canadian Press

(CP) - A giant ice shelf the size of 11,000 football fields has snapped free from Canada's Arctic, leaving a trail of icy boulders floating in its wake.

The mass of ice broke clear from the coast of Ellesmere Island, about 800 kilometres south of the North Pole. Warwick Vincent of Laval University, who studies Arctic conditions, travelled to the newly formed ice island and couldn't believe what he saw. "It was extraordinary," Vincent said Thursday, adding that in 10 years of working in the region he has never seen such a dramatic loss of sea ice.

"This is a piece of Canadian geography that no longer exists."

The collapse was so powerful that earthquake monitors 250 kilometres away picked up tremors from it.

Scientists say it is the largest event of its kind in 30 years and point their fingers at climate change as a major contributing factor.

"We think this incident is consistent with global climate change," Vincent said, adding that the remaining ice shelves are 90 per cent smaller than when they were first discovered in 1906.

"We aren't able to connect all of the dots . . . but unusually warm temperatures definitely played a major role."

The ice shelf actually broke up 16 months ago, but no one witnessed the dramatic event.

Laurie Weir, who monitors ice conditions for the Canadian Ice Service, was poring over satellite images when she noticed that the shelf had split and separated.

Weir notified Luke Copland, head of the new global ice lab at the University of Ottawa, who initiated an effort to find out what happened.

Using U.S. and Canadian satellite images, as well as data from seismic monitors, Copland discovered that the ice shelf collapsed in the early afternoon of Aug. 13, 2005.

"These ice shelves can break up really quickly, perhaps more quickly than we thought they could do in the past," he said.

"Within an hour we could see this entire ice chunk just disconnect and float away."

Within days, the floating ice shelf had drifted a few kilometres offshore. It travelled west for 50 kilometres until it finally froze into the sea ice in the early winter.

Derek Mueller, a polar researcher with Vincent's team, saw that Ellesmere's Ward Hunt Ice Shelf had cracked in half in 2002. He also saw that sea ice, which creates a buffer zone around ice shelves, was approaching lower and lower levels.

"These ice shelves get weaker and weaker as the temperature rises," he said.

"And the summer of 2005 had a combination of high temperatures and strong winds that probably blew the sea ice away, making this ice shelf much more vulnerable."

The Ayles Ice Shelf, roughly 66 square kilometres in area, was one of six major ice shelves remaining in Canada's Arctic.

They are packed with ancient ice that dates back over 3000 years, and scientists like Vincent treat their loss as a sign that the global climate is crossing an unprecedented threshold.

"We're seeing the tragic loss of unique features of the Canadian landscape," he said.

"There are microscopic organisms and entire ecosystems associated with this ice, so we're losing a part of Canada's natural richness."

Meanwhile, the spring thaw may bring another concern as the warming temperatures could release the ice shelf from its Arctic grip.

Prevailing winds could then send the ice island southwards, deep into the Beaufort Sea.

"Over the next few years this ice island could drift into populated shipping routes," Weir said.

"There's significant oil and gas development in this region as well, so we'll have to keep monitoring its location over the next few years."

http://reports.discoverychannel.ca/servlet/an/discovery/1/20061229/061228_discovery_arctic_ice_shelf/20061229?hub=DiscoveryReport

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: Diploid]
    #6408174 - 12/29/06 01:36 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

the whole shits gonna break apart soon I bet. if a 25 mile piece breaks off I can almost guarantee all of it is about to break up as well

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#6408686 - 12/29/06 04:57 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

anything who believes global warming isnt real is a moron.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: Vvellum]
    #6408704 - 12/29/06 05:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I think most people agree the Earth is warming. The open question is why. Is it a natural cycle which has happened before or is it caused by human activity?

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
    #6408816 - 12/29/06 06:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

A combination of both. The earth has been gradually warming for some time, but I think we are definetly accelerating it.

--------------------
Easily test the dosage of your tabs at home!:lsd:
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
    #6409088 - 12/29/06 08:33 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Watch "An Inconvenient Truth", Diploid. And invite a few friends over to watch it with you. It's a very important movie. He presents the CO2/warming statistics in a straightforward way that pretty much leaves no doubt.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: supercollider]
    #6409125 - 12/29/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You do realize that the Planet Mars is warming up as well don't you?

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: gregorio]
    #6409140 - 12/29/06 08:48 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

the whole solar system is warming

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: gregorio]
    #6409438 - 12/29/06 10:49 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Good for Mars and the rest of the solar system.

Yes, Earth does warm and cool in a natural cycle, as I'm sure other planets do. In Earth's case, the warming periods ALWAYS directly correspond to atmospheric CO2 levels. If a lot of volcanic activity or whatever adds CO2 to the atmosphere, it warms up, simple. Thing is, in the past several decades, atmospheric CO2 levels have been MANY orders of magnitude higher than they've ever been before due to natural cycles. That means we can expect MUCH warmer climate than has ever occurred before in Earth's history.

Global warming is a fact, not a theory. If you doubt that, you're the victim of an unfortunate PR campaign by the fossil fuels industry. Watch An Inconvenient Truth, or remain ignorant. It's your choice.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #6409623 - 12/30/06 12:24 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

good for co2
truth is the WHOLE solar system is warming no matter what the co2 level is here on earth.
http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/id1367.html
that site for example blames it on a cosmic dust cloud from an ancient supernova

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: cpw1971]
    #6410142 - 12/30/06 09:41 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

what about this? some say we are due for a natural ice age, and if so, then this global warming caused by humans would help to offset it.

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #6410147 - 12/30/06 09:43 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

supercollider said:
In the Earth's case, the warming periods ALWAYS directly correspond to atmospheric CO2 levels. If a lot of volcanic activity or whatever adds CO2 to the atmosphere, it warms up, simple. Thing is, in the past several decades, atmospheric CO2 levels have been MANY orders of magnitude higher than they've ever been before due to natural cycles. That means we can expect MUCH warmer climate than has ever occurred before in Earth's history.

i'm wondering, how did you get this info? and just how did we calculate atmospheric CO2 levels from the year 3000 bc?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: sleepy]
    #6410247 - 12/30/06 10:39 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

just how did we calculate atmospheric CO2 levels from the year 3000 bc?

Air bubbles trapped in ice core samples taken near the Earth's poles are used to measure historic CO2 levels. Since this ice never melts and since every year a new layer from precipitation is added, the deeper the core sample, the longer the air has been trapped in the ice.

Known geologic events, like the eruption of a large volcano that slightly changed the composition of Earth's air, are used to calibrate the core depth to the time when that layer was put down. If you know a volcano erupted in a given year, looking for the expected spike in certain gases in the core sample bubbles can correlate the year the bubble was trapped with the year of the eruption. Looking farther back in time just means looking at deeper layers in the ice.

--------------------
Republican Values:

OfflineArcofaJourney
Internaltransportationdevice
 User Gallery
Loc: your imagination
    #6410459 - 12/30/06 12:53 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

EVEN IF...

We're not causing the earth's global temps to rise, what is the harm in protecting the environment anyway? This is what i don't get about the philosophy of the global warming doubters.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: ArcofaJourney]
    #6410855 - 12/30/06 03:29 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Have you seen the episode of South Park 'My Future Self and Me'? That pretty much sums up the logistics of why some people choose not to buy the whole "Global Warming" package. The intentions (excluding those with a socioeconomic agenda) are good, but why use dubious means to convince the world that your perception is "FACT"? WHy not just present the argument as, "Hey, you know, this is a dynamic and multifaceted issue we are talking about here, but how about let's err on the side of caution and take the necessary steps to develop alternative energy?" Instead, you have Al Gore asserting that the oceans will probably rise 20 feet this century (while riding around in his private jet), while the 2005 joint statement from the science academies of the Western nations says four to 35 inches is the conceivable range. And then there are the dittoheads who tell you you're just an ignoramus if you haven't completely accepted everything in Al Gore's movie and everything ever posited by alarmist researchers because it's proven fact. It's no longer debatable. Give me a break.

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: Viveka]
    #6411200 - 12/30/06 06:13 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well South Park is certainly biased in its own way, so i don't put much stock in it. There's lots of evidence out there that doesn't rely on "dubious means" to convince the world. We should be working on ways to reduce the chemicals we send into the air regardless if we believe in global warming or not. To me, it's irrelevant whether global warming is real or not. The fact of the matter is that as a planet we're losing more and more species and habitat every day and the cycle has to stop if we even have a chance to survive as a species and as a planet.

Edited by ArcofaJourney (12/30/06 06:16 PM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: Viveka]
    #6411222 - 12/30/06 06:21 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
Have you seen the episode of South Park 'My Future Self and Me'? That pretty much sums up the logistics of why some people choose not to buy the whole "Global Warming" package. The intentions (excluding those with a socioeconomic agenda) are good, but why use dubious means to convince the world that your perception is "FACT"? WHy not just present the argument as, "Hey, you know, this is a dynamic and multifaceted issue we are talking about here, but how about let's err on the side of caution and take the necessary steps to develop alternative energy?" Instead, you have Al Gore asserting that the oceans will probably rise 20 feet this century (while riding around in his private jet), while the 2005 joint statement from the science academies of the Western nations says four to 35 inches is the conceivable range. And then there are the dittoheads who tell you you're just an ignoramus if you haven't completely accepted everything in Al Gore's movie and everything ever posited by alarmist researchers because it's proven fact. It's no longer debatable. Give me a break.

It seems to me that the problem here is that we can't know how severe the effects will be until it's too late. What's important is that we recognize that it's happening and that we can do something about it.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #6411567 - 12/30/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ArcofaJourney said:
We're not causing the earth's global temps to rise, what is the harm in protecting the environment anyway? This is what i don't get about the philosophy of the global warming doubters.

Yes!

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #6411743 - 12/30/06 09:28 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

We're not causing the earth's global temps to rise, what is the harm in protecting the environment anyway?

alternative energy sources are more expensive than fossil fuels. everything, including essentials like food and heat, becomes more expensive by restricting fossil fuel use. that is the reason that there is a debate at all. if there was no cost to reducing emissions, we'd do it in a second if there was even a slight chance that doing so would be beneficial in any way you can think of.

This is what i don't get about the philosophy of the global warming doubters.

no one doubts global warming. there are some people who doubt that humans are an important contributor to it.

from what i have seen, there are too many unknown variables concerning global warming for anyone to make a precise cost/benefit/risk calculation and arrive at an optimal strategy. people get so worked up about this one but there is really no one who knows with a great deal of certainty that his or her strategy wouldn't either neglect to address an avoidable and enormous catastrophe or cause widespread unnecessary suffering by creating ineffective superfluous restrictions.

--------------------

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
Re: Giant Ice Shelf Breaks Free [Re: wilshire]
    #6411972 - 12/30/06 10:11 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i get the whole economic ramifications thing....

i was just saying we should be looking for alternatives and doing all we can to conserve whether or not global warming is a threat or not. i don't believe at this time in history we can just throw our hands up and say "it's too expensive to conserve or be clean." The future is watching very closely what we do now. At the current rate of population explosion we've gotta do something fast or we're causing catastrophe even if we can't see it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale