Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Loc: 埼玉県&...
Are they cyanescens?
    #6404710 - 12/28/06 11:42 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Here are some finds from GGP over the last couple of days. The ones that I am interested in is the cluster to the right hand side. I believe they may be Psilocybe cyanescens though they are much different than any cyanescens that I have seen to date.

The left is an example of mature specimens growing from short grass. The cap on the larger one was approximately 3-4 centimeters or about 1.25 inches. The large one on the right was closer to 8 centimeters or about 3 inches. The stems were extremely fat, about the same diameter as one of those small sharpie markers.

Habitat: Wood, mulch.
Cap: .75 - 3 inches, Carmel colored, wavy, remenants of veil on cap, pelicule present, bruising blue.
Stipe: .25 - .75 inches in diameter, 2 - 3 inches in length, solid, woody, slightly fiberous. Outside of stipe could be peeled like a banana. Veil remanants were noticable on a couple of specimens. Bruising blue.
Veil: Cortina, white.
Gills: Tan, decurrent.
Spore print: Purplish.

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegoodolgoogy
Bemushroomed
Male User Gallery

Loc: bay area
Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: baycafe]
    #6404843 - 12/28/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

They are definitely cyans. Lucky bastard. :c

Edited by goodolgoogy (12/28/06 12:26 PM)

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: goodolgoogy]
    #6404884 - 12/28/06 12:47 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I was hoping that they would turn out to be something a little more exotic given some of the physical traits (size) and decurrent gills.

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #6404891 - 12/28/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

See if you can keep all the Mycelium growth alive and transplant it in an outdoor grow...

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

#6404918 - 12/28/06 12:57 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Working on it :smile: It is being spawned to card board as we speak.

--------------------

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
    #6404961 - 12/28/06 01:14 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

The mycelium of the big ones seem to be quiet strong! If I were you I'd do some spore prints and, as YESSUP already said, I'd try to transplant the myc into an outdoor field after letting it grow over the winter.
I've found way bigger Cyans (although not many) but most of them weren't that massive. Take the chance and do what ever you think is right! :-)

Offlinehoopershroomer
Bonafide Oneironaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #6405769 - 12/28/06 04:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

baycafe said:
I was hoping that they would turn out to be something a little more exotic given some of the physical traits (size) and decurrent gills.

:what: uhhh, like what??

--------------------
"Life lived in the absence of the psychedelic experience that primordial shamanism is based on is life trivialized, life denied, life enslaved to the ego."

"You teach the world how to treat you, by showing the world how you treat yourself."

A well developed sense of humor is far superior to any religion"

"Everything you could want and could be, you already have and are."

:peace: & :heart:

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #6405813 - 12/28/06 05:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

They had a pellicle???

Ps. cyanescens isn't supposed to have a pellicle... :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: CureCat]
    #6406421 - 12/28/06 09:07 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

says who?

I have been able to separate the pellicle from cyanescens on occasion, when I have tried with fresh, well moistened specimens.  it's not as prominent as on stuntzii or semilanceata, but it's there. 

they're just fat cyans, they get like that in the woodchips when the patches are new and healthy :smile:.  3/4" thick stems though?  that's almost unbelievable, they aren't even 3/4" when the picture is blown up all the way.  break out the ruler :wink:...

Edited by spores (12/28/06 09:59 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: spores]
    #6407221 - 12/29/06 04:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Huh... Inever noticed a pellicle on any of the cyans i have found. I will have to try harder i suppose. Also, are there any keys describing Ps. cyanescens as having a pellicle??

--------------------

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #6407443 - 12/29/06 09:04 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I don't have access to any keys for Psilocybe.

but PMOTW mentions the cap surface is viscid when moist from a *sometimes* separable gelatinous pellicle.

keys shmeys :wink:

:shrug:

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: spores]
    #6407560 - 12/29/06 09:57 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hi Spores,

You are probably right. The measurements were eyeballed so they could be off of course.

--------------------

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Offlinepickupordelivery
Stranger
    #6407628 - 12/29/06 10:25 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

"The cap surface is smooth and viscid when moist from a seperable gelatinous pellicle("skin").", from The Mushroom Cultivator, Stamets & Chilton page 200, describing Psilocybe Cyanescens.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: pickupordelivery]
    #6408587 - 12/29/06 04:08 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm... seems Stamets is the only one acknowledging the pellicle of Ps. cyanescens that I have found thus far. I'll have to look into it further.

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#6430718 - 01/06/07 10:49 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

this is odd...I do a search on Google for 'pellicle cyanescens' and this is almost the only place I can find a reference to it.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: auweia]
    #6430869 - 01/06/07 11:39 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It doesn't seem to be a widely recognized trait of the species. And I did not notice a palicle on any of the specimens I found. Granted, I didn't try to pull the caps apart, i took my time handling as not to damage them.

--------------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
    #6431888 - 01/06/07 04:55 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Once again here is a pellicle

Those definitely look like Cyanescens to me. I go by physical appearance and shape first, then texture is the next most important thing for me, the stem must not be hollow or brittle. Cap should be sturdy too. You should be able to take a fresh specimen and flick it with your finger, and it should take it pretty well without breaking. I haven't found any other mushroom that can take this test that looks anything like a cyanescens. Furthermore a pellicle should be one of the last steps you take in your identification. This is because it's not always separable and never that easy when it is.

Cyanescens have a pellicle.

[edit: in the case of Psilocybes, this specific type of pellicle is a [though not the only] key identifying feature, at least within the strophariacaea, and only loosely for delineating species within the genus and only then where the particular nature of the pellicle is helpful.]

The main thing you should be looking for after you do the visual identifications is look for the blue staining on the edges of the cap margins. Fresh babies bruise easily as well.

If you then print them and get a purple-brown, purple-gray, or purple black.... Then i would say you got it.

If your really concerned get a microscope and measure the spores in microns. Look it up. They should be:

"9-12x5-9 microns, elliptical, smooth"
David Arora
Mushrooms Demystified

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6431924 - 01/06/07 05:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Auweia:
Not everything can be found directly from google search. Especially because not allot of people are concerned with this topic enough to add it to google search. You might be able to find a link from google to a site with this information if you weren't so specific with your search, and spent some more time researching links to lead you to an answer.

The internet is a great thing but it's not going to answer all of your questions with out some time and trouble.

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6431994 - 01/06/07 05:30 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Are they cyanescens? [Re: auweia]
    #6433429 - 01/07/07 02:18 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

There is no mention in the section of Guzman's monograph. But I think I read somewhere that most Psilocybes have a pellicle.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck