Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerogermarklar
TranscendentalJournier
Male

1st time w/ South Americans -- a few questions (pics)
    #6400688 - 12/23/06 10:26 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hello, this is my first attempt at growing mushrooms. I choose South Americans and have been following the rye tek. A few things have come up.

1) I have noticed that some of my trays are getting ready to harvest. the veils are starting to tear away from the stem. The problem is, the fruits are very very small. I was expecting them to be a bit larger. What are some things that i could do to increase the size of the fruits? I suspect that my casing is too dry and there is not enough water available to the mushrooms to grow large.

2) I have 2 trays that have small mushrooms that are blue. When they were smaller pins, they seemed to be growing w/ white caps instead of brown like the others. Is this mycelium that has grown over the caps? Any idea what this is from?

I appreciate any help. thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrumanick0
Stranger
Male

Re: 1st time w/ South Americans -- a few questions (pics) [Re: rogermarklar]
    #6400723 - 12/23/06 10:35 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

sorry, wish i could help, but just wanted to say im about to grow SA too, for the first grow ever so im pretty excited. any tips you figured out about them that helps them grow good or anything? btw, they look good....as for your problem, what you said (dehydrated) sounds right to me after reading a bunch of stuff, but dont take my word for it. goodluck, hope you enjoy them, let me know how they are!

OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

#6400724 - 12/23/06 10:36 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

you answered your question to the first one! they need more water. what you doin to give them water?

dunno why you got white caps maybe they're aborts or maybe they're albinos but taht aint myc on the cap.

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

Offlinerogermarklar
TranscendentalJournier
Male

#6400765 - 12/23/06 10:49 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well, for some of the trays, i tried using a syringe to give them water. i wasnt sure how that would work, so i didnt do that to all of them. Is there a way that i can give them water without hurting them? when i use a syringe to give them water, am i supposed to inject the casing before plunging the water out?

OfflineVampireSlayer
Male User Gallery

#6400778 - 12/23/06 10:53 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know about using a syringe to give them water I would just spray them like mad everyday before they pin. do you use a coolmist or a ultrasonic in that greenhouse of yours? cus injecting them with some water once with a syringe definately aint gonna cut it with humidity they need constant humidity all thetime.

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6400782 - 12/23/06 10:55 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You can mist as long as you give plenty of air afterwards so they don't sit wet. You can also use a syringe and either inject directly into the substrate or simply spray the area between the fruits. If the substrate has really dried out, pour a glass of water around the edges of the tray and let the water run down. The mycelium will absorb it. Fruit size is related to water content so do what you need to do to get your moisture content up without saturating or waterlogging the substrate.

The clusters with black heads are aborts. Just pick them off when you pick the flush. Once dry, they're good to eat too.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinerogermarklar
TranscendentalJournier
Male

Re: 1st time w/ South Americans -- a few questions (pics) [Re: drumanick0]
    #6400788 - 12/23/06 10:57 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

just watch out for overlay. my next attempt, i am going to put them in the grow chamber way earlier. I am not going to wait to see the mycelium to break the surface. It seems the trays that showed no mycelium are doing WAY better than the ones that were showing mycelium when put into the grow chamber.

The biggest problem i am having is keeping water in my casing w/ pins. Im not really sure what to do if i cant mist.

Offlinerogermarklar
TranscendentalJournier
Male

#6400796 - 12/23/06 10:59 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I am using an ultrasonic on a timer, and a coolmist 24/7

OfflineVampireSlayer
Male User Gallery

#6400894 - 12/23/06 11:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

oh man I heard that leavin the coolmist on 24/7 drys out your grow not sure though I don't work with coolmist yet can anyone confirm or disconfirm this?

--------------------

Offlinerogermarklar
TranscendentalJournier
Male

Re: 1st time w/ South Americans -- a few questions (pics) [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #6400900 - 12/23/06 11:45 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

that would be helpful to know. anyone have any info about this? i wonder if i should throw that on a timer too... i know its not really helping with humidity, but i thought it was helpful for air exchange.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6401482 - 12/24/06 09:17 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

NIce looking pinset in the top picture :rockon:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures