Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline3libras
Stranger

Question for people in a low humidity environment
    #640026 - 05/22/02 08:05 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm working on my first batch, but I live in a very dry environment. I read somewhere that the humidity should be about 80% while the cakes are still in the jars (so the dry air doesn't evaporate the water in the jars). But I've got an ultrasonic humidifier going full blast in my room and the humidity is constantly between 42 and 44. Are they going to be ok, or do I need to do something else?
Couple other questions: I'm going to be leaving on a trip soon (but I'm not sure when) so I didn't heat the jars at all because I want them to develop kinda slow for now. So the temp is between 70 and 73 degrees, is that ok? And there are so many theories as to how much air to give them. One person told me to leave the tin foil on, over top of the lids, and I also read to leave the lids so loose that they are barely on. What has worked for you guys? Right now my lids are on pretty tight but there is no tin foil over top of them, I just want to know what works. Somebody help me out! Please!
Thanks so much!!

--------------------
"I am just a worthless liar
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you
Trust in me and fall as well"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question for people in a low humidity environment [Re: 3libras]
    #640067 - 05/22/02 08:25 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well if your in the dry envoirnment, you should just put them in a icebox with an aquarium heater. This achieves two things. 1) keeps them warm 2) keeps the humidity high. When you open the icebox, there will just be water along the sides, and high humidity.

If youre leaving them just in a box or something, you should really keep the lids on snug and leave the tin foil on cause this will keep out contams. If there going to be in a semi-sterile envoirnment, it wouldnt be as big as a problem.

Offline3libras
Stranger

Re: Question for people in a low humidity environment [Re: angryshroom]
    #640088 - 05/22/02 08:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the advice, Angryshroom! One question though, if I put tin foil back on then should I poke four holes in the foil to give it air? Or would that defeat the purpose? Do they not need much air or what?

--------------------
"I am just a worthless liar
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you
Trust in me and fall as well"

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question for people in a low humidity environment [Re: 3libras]
    #640450 - 05/22/02 01:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Just keep the foil on, gas can be exchanged from the sides of the foil. Gas exchange in the jars aren't needed as much.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation