Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Toxic Puffballs
    #6398213 - 12/22/06 09:44 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

OK i am very, very, very cautious when it comes to eating a new type of mushroom. I have done my research with pear shaped-puffballs aka Lycoperdon pyriforme and i still want just a little more re-assurance.

IF there are any toxic puffballs they will not be white on the inside... correct???? or the outside from what this site informed me.

I have a nice patch that grows annually by the pounds, i would like to cook them up with something. Any recommendations on cooking prep?

this years first flush
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/06-51/668443712-puffballs.jpg

-PS how can i make the pic show up in the forum instead of the link?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScrewdUpTexas
Fuckin Alaska,eh?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Alaska and Texas
Re: Toxic Puffballs [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6398293 - 12/22/06 10:19 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

You have to upload the pics into your gallery before you can post em..click on pics underneath where it says Welcome pscyanescens and then click upload. when you want to post one..click Put Picture(s) in this post. right underneath where you type the message.. then you'll have to click on your gallery. underneath the pics you uploaded will be a code..it starts off [url=http://www.shroomery.org/ etc....copy that and paste it into the message part...then the pic will be in your post. hope that was simple enough.

As to toxic puffballs....sorry i have no idea

--------------------
"The Mind and Body must be Subjected to Extreme Stimulus by means of Drugs and Music." -Hunter S. Thompson

Invisiblekoraks
    #6398698 - 12/23/06 04:52 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Puffballs are said to be good to eat if and while they're still white inside. The ones in your pic certainly look like a lycoperdon species, I'd say they're l. perlatum, which is very common. As soon as they start going mushy and green/brown on the inside, they're past their prime and should be considered inedible.

I've never tried puffballs myself, btw, so this is just textbook knowledge.

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: Toxic Puffballs [Re: koraks]
    #6398714 - 12/23/06 05:25 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

This is lycoperdon pyriforme

and this is lyceperdon perlatum

Almost identical. I got these pics off of google images searching the two species. The reason i think it is L.pyriforme is how accented the spikes on the L.perlatum are. Much larger. I think my pic looks more like L.pyriforme Not that it matters for edible purposes. However...... David Arora doesn't specify the species L.perlatum, he claims the L.pyriforme to be the best for edible puffballs.

Still, is there anyone out there who has consumed one of the two species we are discussing.

Again compare to my pics below.

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #6398933 - 12/23/06 09:33 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Google image search is notorious for misidentified shrooms, so I would not put too much faith in what you find there. I could post a picture of a bowling ball, name it lycoperdon pyriforme.jpg, and it would show up on google image search. I think they need an editor there... Hmmmmmm, maybe shroomydan can find himself a paying gig.

--------

I have eaten those puffballs, and they don't taste like anything. The texture is kind of grainy and there is no flavor to speak of. They might be good if you cooked them with something spicy so they could absorb the flavor. I once cooked chanterelles with hot Italian sausage and they came out tasting just like the sausage. It ruined the chanterelles, but it would probably make your puffballs delicious.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Toxic Puffballs [Re: shroomydan]
    #6399431 - 12/23/06 02:08 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

PUFFBALL PARMESAN

Slice puffballs ½ inch thick. Dip in flour, then beaten egg which has been thinned with a tablespoon of water, then in Parmesan cheese. Fry in a pan with butter or margarine until each side is golden brown. Cut into small pieces and serve with toothpicks. Also may be used as a vegetable in a manner similar to eggplant.

(NOTE: Make sure you cut the puffball from the top to the point of attachment to the ground. It should look like you have cut through a block of cream cheese and should be pure white throughout. It will have a bad taste if it has started to change color).

Cheers brother- nice find.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6399720 - 12/23/06 04:17 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
Google image search is notorious for misidentified shrooms, so I would not put too much faith in what you find there. I could post a picture of a bowling ball, name it lycoperdon pyriforme.jpg, and it would show up on google image search. I

This is true, you could post a bowling ball. But if i see that bowling ball next to 12 other pics that look more like the mushroom i am trying to identify, I probably would discard the bowling ball from my research. I don't use google for identification i use my field guides, and Mushrooms Demystified. However google is a good starting point when you have some guesses on what family or species you may be looking at, and spore prints are temporarily unavailable.

Further more each pic on google has a link to the site where it originated. I think the site is to be judged on the credibility of the species they claim to post pics of. Even then my references are always double checked. Thats why i love the shroomery!!!!

Another pic from same crop last year. ( looks little more spiky but still not as much as L.perlatum in my opinion. )

--------------------
----------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
    #6399938 - 12/23/06 05:51 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
Google image search is notorious for misidentified shrooms, so I would not put too much faith in what you find there. I could post a picture of a bowling ball, name it lycoperdon pyriforme.jpg, and it would show up on google image search. I think they need an editor there... Hmmmmmm, maybe shroomydan can find himself a paying gig.

totally, I've never eaten p balls myself either theres just nothing really that appetizing about them.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale