Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Ya or Nay? [Re: Basilides]
    #6413617 - 12/31/06 01:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

More people need to wake up - and realize the beautiful secret that is looking at itself through our very eyes.

How do you know that it is they who sleep, and not thee?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Ya or Nay? [Re: wilshire]
    #6413745 - 12/31/06 02:46 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Faith is a contemplative attitude. Faith in the rational mind and sense data upon which rationality operates (except in purely abstract matters like mathematics) is but one type of faith with its own applications. Faith in empirical matters is a subset of human beinghood and is not capable of teaching human beings how to be, how to live or what the further reaches of human nature are to be aimed at. Teleological concerns like this are based upon a spiritual faith, a faith that is based on certain a priori givens, i.e., pure Identity.

Do you question your own existence? No? Then you are experiencing in some partial way the full Experience of Identity which opens up into a full-blown mystical Experience of Ultimate Identity - the "I AM" of the Bible, the "TAT" (THAT) of the Upanishads, the Parinirvana of Buddhism. This is the Ground of Being, the metaphysical substratum whence the phenomenal universe emerged and evolved. Prior to the physical universe, I posit this metaphysical substratum as existing Eternally and my 'faith' in it derives not from me but rather from the Eternal Ground Itself. It is omnipresent and more Real to me in my daily experience than say, the background microwave radiation from the Big Bang which is also omnipresent but not discernible to my senses. I have been to Bell Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ where the microwave white noise was discovered, but I have never observed the instrumentation myself, and I take in on 'faith' that the scientists and instrumentation are exponents of scientific truth. Here is a reversal of your perspective. Both apply, though perhaps not equally in either of our experiences. You are bigger in your beinghood than you 'think' if faith in sense and rationality is all you identify with.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Ya or Nay? [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #6413789 - 12/31/06 03:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Just another tidbit on J.B.S. Haldane for whoever is interested:

Interestingly enough, (perhaps a bit ironic) Haldane is considered by some to be the father of Intelligent design. He was a cofounder of population genetics and believed in a teleological universe. Although he called himself an atheist, his personal beliefs resembled pantheism.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: Ya or Nay? [Re: Veritas]
    #6414364 - 12/31/06 06:52 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Quote:

More people need to wake up - and realize the beautiful secret that is looking at itself through our very eyes.

How do you know that it is they who sleep, and not thee?

Because "they" fail to grok basic first principles and pure ideas. :shrug:

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#6414375 - 12/31/06 07:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I find your use of grok offensive.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

#6414386 - 12/31/06 07:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I plan on using it again in the future. :heart:

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #6414417 - 12/31/06 07:31 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:

Ah, they are asleep because they do not agree with your personal POV.  Sounds about right.  :rolleyes:

I agree with Mushman, your use of the word "grok" is offensive. You may use it again only if you demonstrate an understanding of what it means.  Submit a 500-word essay on the accurate use of "grok," along with the origin of the word, and the complete incompatibility of "grokking" and religion.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Re: Ya or Nay? [Re: Veritas]
    #6414441 - 12/31/06 07:45 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I really don't understand what is so offensive about it if you are being serious. It's another word for "understand" that was coined by a science-fiction novelist. But anywho... Ok, in the rules of thumb of debating on the internet everything may in fact just be 'my opinion' in this world of text communication. Of course I don't personally think so, based on my own experiences that are very real for me, but that is just me. I don't see why every post should come with a disclaimer. If people are going interpret a said mythos, and I find that interpretation to be myopic or incorrect, I'll point it out where they may have "misgrokked" as I see it.  :shocked:

Happy New Years, btw :cheers:

--------------------

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#6414456 - 12/31/06 07:51 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Unless you're a Martian, you shouldn't be throwing the word "grok" around. It's like ablind man describing colors.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

#6414476 - 12/31/06 07:58 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Born blind or after the fact kind of a deal?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6415568 - 01/01/07 01:38 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:

Judgement of the nature of another based upon your own, relative interpretation of reality?

Its all we ever do, but it would be interesting to read an elaboration on this judgement. :grin:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#6415742 - 01/01/07 02:49 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know man, I didn't do it. You'll have to ask Marvin.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order