Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems... [Re: creamcorn]
    #6387295 - 12/19/06 04:40 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, it sounds like he had them sitting directly on the perlite and got them waterlogged. Boil into tea if you're going to consume them to make sure you kill the bacteria. Next time, set them on jar lids or foil.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
Re: URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6387301 - 12/19/06 04:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for jumping in RogerRabbit... Actually, this is a casing tray that I am referring to. I had them sitting on a rack so that the surface area of the perlite at the bottom was exposed more. I have now removed the rack so that the tray is sitting directly on the perlite.

I still think they look waterlogged... What is the effect of that? Are they savable now that I have lowered the moisture in the tub?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems... [Re: think_about_it]
    #6387331 - 12/19/06 04:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

They're not molding, but waterlogged mushrooms can have some pretty nasty bacteria that will give an upset stomach if you eat them raw. Just boil into tea and you'll be fine. If they weren't in contact with the perlite, they got waterlogged from excess watering, not the perlite which only provides humidity.

The green you saw was probably just bruising.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387350 - 12/19/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm, watering? I haven't misted or watered at all. I simply cased while the casing layer was just around field capacity. That's it.

There are four 1.5" holes on either side of the fruiting chamber, all stuffed with poly-fill. There is 1" of damp (strained) perlite at the bottom of the chamber. I had the two trays that I have in there sitting on little racks that allowed the surface area of the perlite to be greater. I have now removed these two racks and the trays are sitting directly on the perlite (and I am still getting humidity in the high 80's).

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387355 - 12/19/06 05:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I also have another question here:

When harvesting some of the shrooms, particularly the ones on the sides, I have noticed that there are some small shrooms growing underneath, or even sometimes there is shroom flesh, but not actual full shrooms. How does one go about clearing all this out without wrecking havoc on the casing layer? Could I just replace the entire casing layer after the first flush? I kind of feel like I want to chuck it all and make sure there are no rotting shrooms underneath or any partial shroom flesh or something (which will rot if it is left there, right?)

Thoughts...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6387356 - 12/19/06 05:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Then I don't see how they can be waterlogged. Put up a picture or just watch and observe.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387363 - 12/19/06 05:05 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I have those pictures above that I posted above (these are NOT the ones that had coloration inside of the stems. Those are all gone now. These ones do look a little damp to me):

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6387387 - 12/19/06 05:11 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

They're fine. Up your air exchange a bit.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387396 - 12/19/06 05:15 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, that is what I was thinking... Since the holes are only 1.5" (instead of monstermitch's 2" ones), I think that I need some extra FAE (more than is naturally provided by the presence of the poly-fil holes). I will start doing that now and see what happens.

Could you address my post #6387355 above: About harvesting and the casing layer, etc...

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6387565 - 12/19/06 06:19 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

think_about_it said:[/b

Could you address my post #6387355 above: About harvesting and the casing layer, etc...

Just leave it alone,it shouldn't rot unless they are aborts and if they are you will know it because they look like little mushrooms except their caps turn black and they never grow,don't destroy your casing layer trying to get everything,it will do much more harm than good

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
Re: URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems... [Re: Blutjager]
    #6387574 - 12/19/06 06:21 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Right, but what about those that I picked from the sides but I can tell there is still some "meat" (flesh) left underneath. For sure that will rot. Should I just dig that up and patch the area?

Edited by think_about_it (12/19/06 06:22 PM)

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6388353 - 12/19/06 09:41 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

many say to remove it with tweezers. I haven't had any problems just leaving it tho. It will eventually just bruise alot then start turning back into regular myc.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix