Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems...
    #6386771 - 12/19/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hello,

It is right before harvest of a small casing and I spy some greenness in the stems of some of the shrooms. Does this mean that they are rotting?! ;-(

What do I do? Only some of them have had their veils break, and only just yesterday.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
Re: URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems... [Re: think_about_it]
    #6386776 - 12/19/06 02:20 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Could it be due to too much humidity? I do not mist, but I do have two casings in a decent sized tub with about an inch or so of perlite at the bottom (no standing water).

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6386787 - 12/19/06 02:22 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, I actually picked a couple of them and they seem REALLY damp, if not gooey... When I examine the center of the stems of some of them (by cutting them open down the center) they are greenish and somewhat gooey-like. What to do!?!?

The smell is not that bad, but not totally pure shroom smell.

Edited by think_about_it (12/19/06 02:22 PM)

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6386794 - 12/19/06 02:23 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Should I remove the perlite completely from the tub? They seem waterlogged and I have NOT been misting or spraying anything at all.

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6386859 - 12/19/06 02:40 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Should I just chop off the parts that are mushy and green and keep the rest?

I mean, at what point do you know that there is too much rotting? What if it is only a littttttle green on the inside?

Edited by think_about_it (12/19/06 02:40 PM)

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6386910 - 12/19/06 02:52 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I have also heard of some that have had green INSIDE the stems (like this case) and dried them with no problems... Help!

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #6386956 - 12/19/06 03:07 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

conversations with yourself????

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
Re: URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems... [Re: daytripper05]
    #6386970 - 12/19/06 03:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah... ;-)

But it got you here, didn't it? ;-)

Seriously though, I just had some subsequent thoughts after my initial post. That's all.

I am done now... Waiting for some thoughts/suggestions to come in now.

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387061 - 12/19/06 03:33 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

One more observation to add to the list above:

Some of them are drooping over. I am assuming this means that they are weak and weighed down from having so much moisture in them?

So, what to do? Some of them clearly look like that have some greenness lurking inside of them, others don't. Should I just harvest those ones and get them out of there?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6387195 - 12/19/06 04:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

It sounds like you're seeing totally normal blueing.  Sometimes it can look greenish because mushrooms are tan colored, and yellow+blue makes green.

Does it look like they're stained green, or is the green something growing ON them?  If you're not sure, wipe it with a qtip or paper towel.  If the green rubs off, you've got mold.  If not, you've got perfectly normal fruits. 

I don't know what you mean by gooey or overly damp, those things can be interpreted different ways... but they're mushrooms.  They're over 90% water.  Not sure what you're expecting there... of course they're going to feel damp :wink:

As for all your other moisture questions back and forth I'd say don't worry about it yet.  Sounds like you're being over-paranoid on several different counts here :wink:  If you had a serious problem one way or another, you wouldn't have fruits to deal with.  Something is working ok.

Pictures would help if possible.

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
Re: URGENT, right before harvest, see green in stems... [Re: creamcorn]
    #6387211 - 12/19/06 04:10 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you for your response.

Nothing is growing ON them, no. It is a coloration that I can see WITHIN the stems of the mushrooms, like a greenish/blueish color. Keep in mind that I have not been tampering with them AT ALL. They are in a tub that has poly-filled holes in it so it has remained closed the entire time. I do not mess with them.

Well, I harvested a few of them and the insides of some of the stems in question did not look too healthy to me. Gooey, brownish, green... Kind of messy. Have never seen something like this before (I worked with cakes before).

Again, nothing growing on them but their growth does seem to be slowing down and some of them are shrinking a little, welting, if you will.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6387240 - 12/19/06 04:18 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well if they seem to be wilting, that's a bad sign.  If you see gooey brown, that's also a possible sign of rotting.

A greenish blueish coloration within the stems is normal.  But the other stuff may not be depending on how drastic it is.

Think of it this way, take all the psychedelic mushroom mystique away for just one second.  Look at them as food.  Do they look like spoiled food, or would you eat them? :smile:

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387253 - 12/19/06 04:22 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well, some of them did have a gooey brownish look inside, once I sliced the stems down the middle to take a look inside.

Others had a greenish/blueish appearence. Again, all of this is INSIDE the stems, not outside or anywhere else.

As for the ones that are welting, as it were, they are REALLY small, some of them possibly being considered aborts.

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6387262 - 12/19/06 04:26 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

post a pic or two. Sounds like you are fine to me. Sounds like blueing, which is a good thing.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387266 - 12/19/06 04:28 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well, as for pictures, I have pretty much plucked the ones that I was suspicious about, kept the ones that did not look that bad in the middle (greenish/blueish a little only) and I chucked the rest (which were only a few really).

Here are some pictures of some of the remaining ones (do they look a little too damp/watery?):

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6387276 - 12/19/06 04:32 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

The blueing reaction is oxidation of psilosin. It happens when cell walls are broken and it is exposed to air. It makes sense that if you cut a stem open you'll see it appear on the inside. Squeeze the heck out of another stem without cutting it open, I bet you'll see it change to the same color within a few minutes. I wouldn't worry much about the coloration there.

Again brown goo is probably bad news though. Mushroom flesh should be relatively solid feeling (though stems are often hollow so don't confuse that). They won't be as thick and meaty or solid as a common store bought edible mushroom, but they should by no means be mushy either.

The others may very well be aborts, should be picked off, and toss them if you're not sure. Better safe than sorry.

Get the others drying ASAP. If they are beginning to rot, remember that rotting occurs because bacteria are decomposing the mushrooms. Drying them will stop that since bacteria can't live without moisture. Then if you're still paranoid, make a tea with them, so that if the bacteria will be killed completely before ingesting.

This is all a guessing game without pictures though unfortunately. I have a sneaking suspision they're fine though I don't want to make promises or risk giving bad advice.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6387279 - 12/19/06 04:32 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

The ones pictured look totally fine from here.

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387284 - 12/19/06 04:34 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Another pic (again, these are NOT ones that I am suspicious about, but how do they look? The stems?):

Offlinethink_about_it
Stranger
Male
    #6387290 - 12/19/06 04:37 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

By the way, the ones that were suspicious (again, not pictured at all, they are gone!), were VERY mushy, not solid at all. Some of them had brownish goo inside, others there was a mixture of green/blue/brown... Needless to say, I got rid of all of those (like 5 or so).

These ones that I have taken pictures of, don't they look too moist?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6387292 - 12/19/06 04:37 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

they also look fine :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures