Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinfinitevoid23
Stranger
Male

Mushroom ID Please
    #6377136 - 12/16/06 03:46 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I found these growing on a dead tree stump in my backyard. There was other white moldy looking material growing around it, but these were isolated. They were originally clustered together but broke apart when I brought them in for pictures. I know this is kind of irrelevant but they smell remarkably like 'shrooms' but that could mean nothing at all. The tree was kind of mulchy/decomposing. Just trying to find out what kind these are and if their active or not. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom ID Please [Re: infinitevoid23]
    #6377170 - 12/16/06 03:57 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm might be an old Pleurotus ostreatus, also known as Oyster Mushroom. Good edible when young, not even close to anything active.

By the way, it's not that other mushrooms smell like "shrooms", or psychadelic Psilocybes- it's that mushrooms often smell like mushrooms, and Psilocybes also smell like mushrooms. Fancy that.

--------------------

OfflineScrewdUpTexas
Fuckin Alaska,eh?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Alaska and Texas
Re: Mushroom ID Please [Re: CureCat]
    #6378036 - 12/16/06 09:21 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

CureCat...you're saying that active AND inactive mushrooms smell like...mushrooms?! WTF you've gotta be kidding. Anyways those are definitely not active and i don't think i'd eat them either. And infinitevoid...welcome to the Shroomery!!

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Mushroom ID Please [Re: ScrewdUpTexas]
    #6378195 - 12/16/06 10:36 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah those look like really mature and dried out oysters, if you lost in the woods I'd consider it a tasty meal. Otherwise toss to the pigeons.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineWoombleshamba
Sasquatch Hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID Please [Re: snoot]
    #6378862 - 12/17/06 09:24 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yup they look like oysers to me too. That's pretty much all I ever find around here worth keeping so yeah, those are some old oysters. Listen to snoot and toss em. I found some late oysters a couple weeks ago (the weather has been really odd lately, warm and cold etc) and they were frozen solid. I thought that was kinda cool, so I took some home to try. lol They were TOUGH hahaha. I had to cook em for like 45 mins. anyway yeah have fun.

--------------------
Don't go opening windows if you can't handle the breeze

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom ID Please [Re: ScrewdUpTexas]
    #6379360 - 12/17/06 01:17 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ScrewdUpTexas said:
CureCat...you're saying that active AND inactive mushrooms smell like...mushrooms?! WTF you've gotta be kidding. Anyways those are definitely not active and i don't think i'd eat them either. And infinitevoid...welcome to the Shroomery!!

Quote:

CureCat said:
it's not that other mushrooms smell like "shrooms", or psychadelic Psilocybes- it's that mushrooms often smell like mushrooms, and Psilocybes also smell like mushrooms.

Basically, the issue is-Why does the oyster mushroom smell like "shrooms"?

You could deduce that, it smells like "shrooms" because it is likely active.

However, that is not quite accurate.

The oyster mushrooms scent reminds you of the scent of "shrooms" because they are both mushrooms.

take note-I did not say that ALL mushrooms smell mushroomy, but as the adjective describes, the common smell among many mushrooms can be described as "mushroomy".

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies