Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJahhhhhh
Stranger
Loc: North East
someone with EXP help me in PA?
    #636405 - 05/19/02 12:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hey... new to the shroomery message boards but i have been reading tips here on hunting shrooms for a couple months now...

anyways could someone help me with hunting? i live in south east pennsylvania, and lately the weather has been between 60 and 80 degrees. we've had a drought for a while, but in the past 2 weeks its been raining on and off- yesterday (sat may 18) it rained pretty hard all day. i heard it was best to hunt right after a hard rain (is this correct?), so i went to a cow field near my house, searched for awhile through the manure and grass, but found nothing. i've been shrooming in this spot a couple times last fall but i've never come up with any luck. is there something wrong with the weather? is PA just not a good shroomin state? could there be something wrong with the field?

anyway if someone could help that'd be great - thanks

-jahhhhhh

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepnkfld17
Re: someone with EXP help me in PA? [Re: Jahhhhhh]
    #636498 - 05/19/02 02:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I live in England (go to university here) but am also from south east pennsylvania. I live near philadelphia. Anyway I go hunting here alot for liberty caps (p. semilanceata) in sheep fields.

You have to go between September and the first frost. I have never looked for anything other than liberty caps in Pennsylvania. I have never found anything either. You won't find anything at the moment especially since it hasn't rained. The ground needs to be wet. One heavy rain won't do it. I'd say keep looking (during the season) and talk to people who go shroom hunting. Fields that look wavy sort of are good. Where the ground rolls. Sheep fields are usually the best (from experience) I am sure cow fields are just as good and you can probably find some different mushrooms. Where water drains in the field is a good place to start looking. There are actually some maps on the internet of places to go picking but most people like to keep their favourite ones secret.

Also Paul Stamets' book Psilocybin Mushrooms Of The World is an invaluable tool.

Don't forget to spore print a few to make sure! Don't eat anything you can't identify.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification