Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJorsher
Psychonaut
Male

Loc: Earth
How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization
    #6359811 - 12/11/06 11:59 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I kept having problems with my honey water LCs getting caramelized by time the PC got to the correct pressure and then cooked for 15 minutes.  The jar would come out much darker and have stuff floating around inside.  Here's what I did this time to have it come out looking nice and clear, and will (hopefully) be just as sterile.

1.  Filled each jar with 250ml of hot water.  I used bottled water since our tap isn't the cleanest, but this probably isn't necessary due to sterilization.  I heated it so that the honey would dissolve better.

2.  Next I added 10ml of honey to each jar.  This is near the 4% ratio you're trying to get.  Mix it really well.  I recommend throwing in some glass shards to break up the mycelium later, because it will get really thick!  Glad Blutjager suggested this to me.

3.  Added a tyvek layer, lid, and the band.  In the past I've skipped the filter but it lessens the chance of contamination.

4.  Put a coffee filter over the top, then a piece of aluminum foil, and secure it with a rubber band.  This is to prevent any steam or outside air from getting into the jar.

5.  I got the pressure cooker to boiling while I was doing all of this.

6.  Now I put the jars in the boiling pressure cooker.  I guess this might pose a slight risk of the jars cracking, but if you use hot water I doubt it'll ever happen.

7.  Put the lid on without the weight, turn the heat down.  I used medium setting.  This kept it boiling but not excessively hot.  The reason I keep the weight off for now is to make sure all the cool air is pushed out and the PC is filled with steam.  (Thanks to those I learned it from today :smile: )

8.  After a couple minutes, put the weight on and set the timer for 20 minutes.  I understand it's recommended to PC for 15 minutes, but I figure the extra 5 minutes will give it a little time to build pressure.

9.  After the time is up, I removed from heat and let it cool.

Just checked it and the honey water is as clear as when I put it in the PC, and there is NO caramelization.

I've had LCs done in the past with some caramelization that have succeeded, but I'm sure without the burnt suger, the mycelium will grow much easier and quicker.  If you've overcooked it, the water will be noticeably darker.

Hope this has been helpful to someone!

--------------------
5 shroom me!

Edited by Jorsher (12/12/06 12:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMajorDick
notbeingadick
Male User Gallery

Loc: Westchestertonfieldville,... Flag
Re: How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization [Re: Jorsher]
    #6359836 - 12/12/06 12:08 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jorsher said:
2.  Next I added 10ml of water to each jar.

pothead.. :smile:

Other than that nice write up.

OfflineJorsher
Psychonaut
Male

Re: How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization [Re: MajorDick]
    #6359843 - 12/12/06 12:10 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MajorDick said:
Quote:

Jorsher said:

rofl damnit you found me out... it wasn't my red eyes was it? :P

Yeah I had to edit a couple things, thanks for pointing that out before people got confused when to add the honey :P

--------------------
5 shroom me!

Offlinetotal
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization [Re: Jorsher]
    #6359852 - 12/12/06 12:13 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jorsher said:
and will (hopefully) be just as sterile.

Boiling your LC will sterilize them...

Quote:

MajorDick said:
Quote:

Jorsher said:

LOL...didn't even notice that...my brain just understood what he was saying...better than most ppl here that type some crazy incomprehensible shit...

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization [Re: total]
    #6359887 - 12/12/06 12:27 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I know that I caramelize my LC half of the time I make it,It have never caused any problems though,If you leave the sediment there it seems to give the spores something to make the mycelium cling on to and get nice and thing,and sometimes It sure does get thick,sometimes too thick to suck into the syringe,Now I have no problems with that either because I add two sharp shards of broken glass in before pressure cooking so when I shake the glass rips everything up nice and ready to use :rockon:  :rockon:

Offlinetotal
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization [Re: Blutjager]
    #6359895 - 12/12/06 12:31 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i need a magnetic stirrer :-D

OfflineJorsher
Psychonaut
Male

Re: How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization [Re: Blutjager]
    #6359896 - 12/12/06 12:31 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Yes you told me to add shards and I have done that, I'll edit this and add that in there :smile:

I don't have a problem with a little sediment, or even a little caramelization...but the last couple things of LC I did had way too much and the previous one I gave a week without any mycelium growth.  There was so much chunks of stuff floating around from overcooking that I had to search until my eyes hurt to see if there was mycelium.  Now the liquid is almost as clear as karo.  :cool:

I'm guessing caramelization is burnt suger, which I think would mean less nutes for the mycelium.  I'm picky and would rather them have plenty :smile:  Plus it's a lot clearer than the dark yellow I was getting out of the PC.

Sediment is good though!  I agree it gives the mycelium something to grab onto.  I don't strain my honey anymore.

And I need a magnetic stirrer too :smile:  Might have a writeup for you guys in a week or two on another poor-man's stirrer!

Edited by Jorsher (12/12/06 12:33 AM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: How to Make Honey Water LC Without Caramelization [Re: total]
    #6359959 - 12/12/06 01:02 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

total said:
i need a magnetic stirrer :-D

Yea,isnt that the truth

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale