Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Psilocybe cyanescens -- fruiting & winter advice needed!
    #6348901 - 12/08/06 06:53 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I've started out a tiny newbie patch of Psilocybe cyanescens last spring and lo and behold: it fruits!  Lookie!

I'm noticing it fruits only at the edges of the patch where it contacts the soil though, and the more soil contact, the more it fruits.

I'm wondering, if I case it with a thin layer of soil, would that result in it fruiting over the entire surface of the patch? It's only a small patch and it won't be the right temperature forever, so I'd like any shroom I can get!

Then there's another thing, overwintering.

I hope to expand on my patch next year (1:5 ratio) and I was planning to unearth the mycelium in spring for that. However I now think it might be better if I unearth it in winter and let it colonize some woodchips at room temperature (lets say its own weight) so that I in spring have twice the mycelium to start with, meaning twice as much patch surface as when I let it out in the cold for winter.

If you think taking the mushroom indoors for propagation is a good idea, how much chips should I add to the mycelium, to have it grown through and through in spring 2-3 months later?

If you think its best to leave it be for now, should I cover the patch or won't that be necessary? It's in a sheltered corner against a brick wall thats heated inside, which I did in hopes of dragging out the season by keeping the first frosts away.

Is there a chance my patch will fruit after the frost in spring when its the right temperature or is that pushing it? What is the ideal growth phase to cut a Cyan?

Your help is appreciated! :thumbup:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens -- fruiting & winter advice needed! [Re: Asante]
    #6348915 - 12/08/06 07:00 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I think perhaps your best bet would be to leave that patch to it's own, and start fresh spawn over the winter. You should be able to colonize several jars of spawn by late January, which can then inoculate filter patch bags of sterilized hardwood sawdust/chips. Allow those to fully colonize at indoor room temperature, then after last frost, spawn those bags into more chips in your bed. This seems superior to trying to work with what is already in the ground.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies