Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
goddamn trey
    #6347515 - 12/08/06 09:34 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

livephish.com's radio station keeps playing fucking trey songs.

ummm, the site is called "live phish", not "live that freebasing asshole with an ego the size of montana"

now i have to find a new radio station :crying:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: goddamn trey [Re: Krishna]
    #6347530 - 12/08/06 09:48 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, but in all fairness, what would Phish have been without him? He has a shitty huge ego, but he IS still damn good....

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: goddamn trey [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6347546 - 12/08/06 09:56 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

he's good when he's playing with page and mike. they held him in the groove, and mostly kept him from busting a nut all over his guitar-pickups (well, except sometimes during divided sky :grin: ). but when he tours solo, even when he toured with mike and the duo this summer, he just wails away all the time, it gets old real quick to me.

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #6347552 - 12/08/06 09:59 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

He smokes crack? I always knew that facade was built on sticks.

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: goddamn trey [Re: GnuBobo]
    #6347574 - 12/08/06 10:12 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

seriusly, how many times do we have to hear shine befor we join hands across the world

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: goddamn trey [Re: GnuBobo]
    #6347748 - 12/08/06 11:19 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

supposedly not any more, but i don't know about that.

i know this girl who used to mail trey coke in exchange for tickets during the pre-hiatus tours (like 96-98 or so) :lol:

pillow- if i have to hear that fucking "the time has come for desks and chairs to be elevated" song once more, so help me god, i'll snap! he played it every night this summer :mad:

--------------------

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6347760 - 12/08/06 11:24 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

lol you deserve this

Invisibleadrug

#6347765 - 12/08/06 11:25 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

My boyfriend loves phish. I had heard a few phish songs back in the late 90's and was less than impressed by what I heard. Aside from the guitar solos (and I happen to hate excessive guitar solos), those guys are pretty much talentless.

So he has slowly tried getting me into phish by playing things for me now and then that he thinks have more of a mainstream appeal, and I just hate them more and more, every time I hear them. Even on copious amounts of drugs, I find it almost impossible to tolerate for more than 2 minutes.

No one in that band can carry a tune vocally worth a damn, and all that atonal shit doesn't sound good, it sounds WRONG. I suppose I can see the attraction to the scene since its easy to score good drugs, but fuck, the music is the lamest shit ever.

/end rant

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: goddamn trey [Re: adrug]
    #6347790 - 12/08/06 11:35 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

MY GOD I LOVE YOU

:heartpump:

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
    #6347799 - 12/08/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I couldn't agree more.

PS - I miss you goobler

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #6347816 - 12/08/06 11:41 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Vocals have never been Phish's selling point. :lol: Or song writing for that matter.They're lyrics don't even make sense most of the time and they rush through them. But talentless musically that just a ridiculous assumption.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: goddamn trey [Re: goobler]
    #6347822 - 12/08/06 11:43 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i think the only reason people liked phish so much was because they where so high at every show

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: goddamn trey [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6347835 - 12/08/06 11:49 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

listen to bouncing around the room from a live one and tell me their vocals are atonal.

Of all the bands on the jam circuit, phish was the only one that had musical talent.

Sounds to me like some of the Phish haters here listened to icculus and didn't get the joke.

Invisibleadrug

Re: goddamn trey [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6347844 - 12/08/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't say their vocals were atonal, I said their vocals sucked. Its their instrument playing that tends to be atonal. I assume they are doing this on purpose? But to me, it just sounds wrong. It hurts my sense of aesthetics.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#6347847 - 12/08/06 11:54 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
Sounds to me like some of the Phish haters here listened to icculus and didn't get the joke.

:lol:

really, i couldn't care less if people don't like them. in my mind, they broke through some really wild compositional barriers, esp with their earlier stuff. their later stuff began to sound more like solo trey, which lacked the crazy narrative compositions that they formerly had.

certainly, a lot of people on phish tour were there just for the party (haha, this guy i know wants to make shirts that say "i sold bunk acid on phish lot so i could buy a weeks worth of crack and then go see phil" ); but spun or sober, a phish show always blew my mind.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#6347852 - 12/08/06 11:58 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

adrug said:
Its their instrument playing that tends to be atonal. 

:confused: poly-tonal maybe you mean? i think i understand what you are describing, but it certainly isn't atonality. you mean like the jams in, say, reba, where paige goes off crazily pounding his keys whilst trey and mike both noodle around and off what he is playing? sounds like a cacophony sometimes... but not atonal.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #6347856 - 12/08/06 11:59 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

what is atonal about it? the only song I can think of that is atonal is the beginning of Union Federal.

When I play Stash in my venue, I usually get atleast one person asking me what band it is playing, and when I reply Phish they tilt their head and say "Really?".

I think people just like to hate phish, and many of them have never really listened to them.

Invisibleadrug

#6347857 - 12/08/06 12:00 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe its where they play notes in a 'harmony' that are not harmonic. That's about the best way I can describe it.

It offends my ears.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#6347863 - 12/08/06 12:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

haha, you'd probably like solo trey then. he keeps it simple and theoretically "correct"

it's boring as hell, though.

phish was great because they pushed boundaries - sometimes they went way too far and it just sounds like random craziness; but when it worked, it was magical.

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6347864 - 12/08/06 12:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

A few years ago, I had a bunch of hippie friends. For whatever reason, like, the only thing they listened to was Phish. So, I listened to it a lot, and all their crazy long solos and jams and stuff...

Yeah, same here, never really impressed. But, whatever, if you liek them, you like them, I dont mind. Thats awesome you like them so much, you know?

See, Im in the same boat sorta. I like really dark, demonic metal, and I still haven't met one person (in real life) that likes it too... So Im sad :frown:

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

#6347877 - 12/08/06 12:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
Quote:

psilocyberin said:

:lol:

really, i couldn't care less if people don't like them. in my mind, they broke through some really wild compositional barriers, esp with their earlier stuff. their later stuff began to sound more like solo trey, which lacked the crazy narrative compositions that they formerly had.

Solo trey had it's moments though. :grin:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: goddamn trey [Re: buckwheat]
    #6347884 - 12/08/06 12:13 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

see, that is the stuff I dont really care for. I mean, sure it is great when live, because it is energy feeding off energy, but there was nothing musically spectacular about that.

That clip is basically what puts Phish in the Jam Band category. That could have just as well been Widespread Panic.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#6347889 - 12/08/06 12:15 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
see, that is the stuff I dont really care for. I mean, sure it is great when live, because it is energy feeding off energy, but there was nothing musically spectacular about that.

That clip is basically what puts Phish in the Jam Band category. That could have just as well been Widespread Panic.

exactly how i feel!

i'd rather see an intricately worked out david bowie or foam over trey shredding any day

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

#6347941 - 12/08/06 12:32 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I never claimed it was great musically though. Like you said it was great live with the energy.

Things like this Stash though can be pretty complex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T904Y8k-jWc

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

#6347952 - 12/08/06 12:37 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

and YEM of course im just sick of hearing it so much.

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6348190 - 12/08/06 02:31 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
exactly how i feel!

i'd rather see an intricately worked out david bowie or foam over trey shredding any day

There's a balance here and I really think that other rock (you know, the kind of stuff that defined shredding) is strongly biasing peoples feelings towards the sound and music and keeping them from really digging it the same way.

Phish is so grand for their ability to transcend so many genres or simple styles and simply play sound and music reminiscent of those. When its good, it's totally mood music. Ala the dead, phish was in the transportation business, not the music business. Things just got too big.

We're missing the whole buildup to that point in the clip (which I was considering uploading but got beat to it). That could not have been wsp. You're saying phish 'qualifies' as a jamband. It's a term I never really understood, but even less so with that statement: the band defined the genre. Even if say, wsp, never heard phish they are certainly influenced by its effect, what works and doesn't work with the audience because there's clear crossover.

Simply because someone has and uses technical mastery does not mean that its immediately wankery. I think there's a trend resurfacing where people think, because you try like hell to play an instrument you don't understand, that its somehow more soulful than someone playing like hell on an instrument they do understand. Sometimes, especially later on, definitely trey's a wanker. So we'll call that phish's failing as things wore thin. The use of fading technical prowess to cover up the holes that were forming in the much bigger idea and purpose. But there, those changes are nailed, the buildup and ebb and flow between them is precisely orchestrated...a little up, back down, come around the corner and punch it up to warp speed.

I think trey's finally calming down from all the turmoil he's been through. Ever break up with a long love and be depressed and not yourself for too long? Cut the guy a break...

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #6348209 - 12/08/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
supposedly not any more, but i don't know about that.

i know this girl who used to mail trey coke in exchange for tickets during the pre-hiatus tours (like 96-98 or so) :lol:

pillow- if i have to hear that fucking "the time has come for desks and chairs to be elevated" song once more, so help me god, i'll snap! he played it every night this summer :mad:

Addiction is like having your dreads on fire and trying to put it out with a brass incense holder.

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: goddamn trey [Re: toastandjam]
    #6348215 - 12/08/06 02:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

What sort of turmoil? I used to love Phish, and still do whenever I listen to them.....but I only saw them a couple times and didn't really get immersed in it as the scene was so fucked up by then. So I have no idea what all went down, all I know is the coke rumors basically.

--------------------

OfflineRandomHero
�.ǝןqısuodsǝɹɹı
 User Gallery

Loc: shroomery.org Flag
    #6348218 - 12/08/06 02:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Phish has taken me to some astonishing places

just recently I ordered the 4 disc cd set from 88'
off the site

and I must say its a really great recording from back n the day
Only thing tho is since jon fishman the drummer was 3 hours late to the show
Mike,Page, and Trey had to do a jazz type dealy
until fishman shows up trippin on acid
When they play antelope Trey changes lyrics and kinds explains why fishman is late and why he took a hit of acid and that the band is making asses of themselves by playing sum jazz shit and that theres only one thing you can do
You've gotta run like an antelope outta control

--------------------
Been you to have any spike, man?.

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: goddamn trey [Re: Dark_Star]
    #6348244 - 12/08/06 02:56 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
What sort of turmoil? I used to love Phish, and still do whenever I listen to them.....but I only saw them a couple times and didn't really get immersed in it as the scene was so fucked up by then. So I have no idea what all went down, all I know is the coke rumors basically.

Being the 'leader' of what had become a huge outfit, too large for you to gracefully and purposefully manage, having a wife and a kid you love while still being on the road, slipping into dependence on harder drugs, deterioration of a scene that you're connected to in idealistic ways. Stopping what you and others had totally defined you as for the past quarter century, pretty much your entire adult life. From all the interviews and things i've seen and read, just being incredibly overstressed yet unable to make relief simultaneously. I'd have had a nervous breakdown.

In the previous arrangement that had been held on to so long it was stretching to the point of breaking, he had been able to artistically articulate his being on a nightly basis and now he's having to see what, if anything, he has left I'd imagine. Its mostly speculation, of course, but I think its reasonable.

Quote:

We had 3,000 people on the guest list at Coventry, that's how big the backstage was. At least three, it might have been five. We had oceans of hangers-on, and it was completely out of control, meanwhile the music was getting worse and worse as far as I'm concerned. The funny things about Coventry itself was that it was just like, All right, you want to see why this is ending? This is it, sort of.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #6348272 - 12/08/06 03:04 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, I see....yeah he mentioned a lot of that stuff in an interview on 88.5xpn, excepting the drug parts. I understand it as well. At the time I was heartbroken, now I not only respect the decision to disband, I agree with it whole-heartedly.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: goddamn trey [Re: Dark_Star]
    #6348388 - 12/08/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

in a recent rolling stone interview, trey said something like "what did i learn from touring with phish for so many years? not to freebase cocaine all the time, for one thing"

:lolocaust:

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Re: goddamn trey [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6348417 - 12/08/06 04:00 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
i think the only reason people liked phish so much was because they where so high at every show

wow you know i never ever thought of it that way. im pretty sure no one else has either. your a fucking genius :wink: :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: goddamn trey [Re: notapillow]
    #6348497 - 12/08/06 04:35 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I like Phish.... got to see them a few times pre-hiatus and few times post. Always had a great time and still LOVE their music. The scene seemed pretty excessive at the end, and basically needed to stop or come under some sort of control (yeah right!)

I could care less about solo Trey.

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Re: goddamn trey [Re: RandomHero]
    #6348499 - 12/08/06 04:36 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RandomHero said:
Phish has taken me to some astonishing places

just recently I ordered the 4 disc cd set from 88'
off the site

and I must say its a really great recording from back n the day
Only thing tho is since jon fishman the drummer was 3 hours late to the show
Mike,Page, and Trey had to do a jazz type dealy
until fishman shows up trippin on acid
When they play antelope Trey changes lyrics and kinds explains why fishman is late and why he took a hit of acid and that the band is making asses of themselves by playing sum jazz shit and that theres only one thing you can do
You've gotta run like an antelope outta control

Yeah thats a great set just the 3 of them. :thumbup:

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

#6351163 - 12/09/06 02:16 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i wanna get that live in 88 thing . looks sweet. i was looking at the free snipits. kick ass possum

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#6351576 - 12/09/06 04:13 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

a friend of mine got it. really sick, def worth getting (hehe, or copying from a friend :wink: )

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

#6351658 - 12/09/06 04:34 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i was 0 years old back in ot' 8
and trey and the boys where still melting faces and taking names. no matter how much freebase no matter how bad solo trey is and no matter how shitty the franklins towers you gotta love phish god damnit :smile: :gd_icon:

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#6352904 - 12/10/06 12:03 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

notapillow said:
no matter how much freebase no matter how bad solo trey is and no matter how shitty the franklins towers you gotta love phish god damnit :smile: :gd_icon:

:thumbup:

i've got this live phish release from 89 (in, i believe, townshead park, vt) with a fluffhead that'll fluff your head. i think nearly every post-hiatus show i went to, the fluffhead chant started through the crowd, but they never fucking played it :frown:

--------------------

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #6352969 - 12/10/06 12:33 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

phish gets a bad rap for not pulling off a perfect show every time and evolving for good or bad. Nobody can play some of the stuff they as a group do.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: goddamn trey [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #6352985 - 12/10/06 12:41 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Phish rocks.  Those soaring leads cutting through the groovy rhythms and interacting with the keys is great when you just want your mind to drift for awhile.  Also I want to steal Anastasio's guitar :smirk:

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Re: goddamn trey [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #6352988 - 12/10/06 12:42 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

phish is the shit.

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

#6353075 - 12/10/06 01:32 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
Quote:

notapillow said:
no matter how much freebase no matter how bad solo trey is and no matter how shitty the franklins towers you gotta love phish god damnit :smile: :gd_icon:

:thumbup:

i've got this live phish release from 89 (in, i believe, townshead park, vt) with a fluffhead that'll fluff your head. i think nearly every post-hiatus show i went to, the fluffhead chant started through the crowd, but they never fucking played it :frown:

Thats the first Phish show ever i ever bought. Just randomly picked it. Great stuff :thumbup:

Invisibleadrug

#6353330 - 12/10/06 07:14 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

notapillow said:
phish is shit.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #6353397 - 12/10/06 08:14 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

ive listened to live trey and phish. its aight, they can jame. lyrically however im really not to impressed. maybe im just spoiled because hunter was SUCH an amazing lyricist. jerry > trey

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#6361728 - 12/12/06 02:29 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

, LOL

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #6361734 - 12/12/06 02:30 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

LOL

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: goddamn trey [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6361738 - 12/12/06 02:31 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

les doesn't seem to find it amusing

--------------------

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

#6361747 - 12/12/06 02:34 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

its pretty hard to define just what is amusing to les claypool/ i bet he bought him that hat :wink:

where did you find that oic for god sakes :rotfl:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale