Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Castaneda Complete
    #6343393 - 12/07/06 04:45 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Here is the complete archive of Castaneda books. I posted this before but several can not find it and have requested a repost.
ATTN:Ravus

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Castaneda Complete [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #6343540 - 12/07/06 07:32 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

:bowdown:

I was just about to order Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan.  You just saved me $20.  I love you.  :heart:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: Castaneda Complete [Re: Lion]
    #6343546 - 12/07/06 07:34 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

dammit i already bought like the first 6 of his books good thing i got em used. Thank you very much, he's dead so he won't mind if i dl this :laugh:

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#6343550 - 12/07/06 07:35 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe we could use this thread to discuss Castaneda a little more. I've recently read some major criticisms of his work, namely that he made most of it up. I just finished The Teachings of Don Juan, and, while I was reading it as nonfiction, I nonetheless got the sense that much of it was allegorical. I've also heard he delibarately falsified many of his accounts because of the principle of erasing one's history. Huehue, what's your take?

--------------------

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: Castaneda Complete [Re: StroFun]
    #6343551 - 12/07/06 07:35 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

if you have a Half-priced Book Store in your area, ive found tons of Castaneda books there.

may be able to get them online from their also

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #6343785 - 12/07/06 09:03 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bug said:
Maybe we could use this thread to discuss Castaneda a little more. I've recently read some major criticisms of his work, namely that he made most of it up. I just finished The Teachings of Don Juan, and, while I was reading it as nonfiction, I nonetheless got the sense that much of it was allegorical. I've also heard he delibarately falsified many of his accounts because of the principle of erasing one's history. Huehue, what's your take?

Carlos =

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Castaneda Complete [Re: Icelander]
    #6344651 - 12/07/06 01:43 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I was reading what you sent me already again today
had to wait 2 hours for my car to get new brakes and tires etc..
really into the "path that has heart"

don juan taught him to be a crow and to
eschew power in favor of seeing.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#6345012 - 12/07/06 04:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

My take is that Carlos's books are a spiritual teaching based on an ancient body of knowledge that has been traditionally referred to as nagualism. Discussions of whether it is true or not do nothing to determine the validity of the ideas. Whenever I try to discuss Castaneda here inevitably the discussion turns to the historical truth of it and the ideas are never examined. So in my opinion they are not related. The historical and spiritual truths are separate discussions and should not be combined.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Castaneda Complete [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #6345024 - 12/07/06 04:18 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
My take is that Carlos's books are a spiritual teaching based on an ancient body of knowledge that has been traditionally referred to as nagualism. Discussions of whether it is true or not do nothing to determine the validity of the ideas. Whenever I try to discuss Castaneda here inevitably the discussion turns to the historical truth of it and the ideas are never examined. So in my opinion they are not related. The historical and spiritual truths are separate discussions and should not be combined.

I essentially agree with you, except that I am not fully versed in the ideas behind his works, and have no framework for assessing their validity except that they sound good in my mind. :tongue:  I wonder how Castaneda would have come upon such a body of knowledge without literally having interacted with a Nagual named Don Juan Matus, but I guess that doesn't really matter as long as I can apply the lessons in his works to my own life with positive results - thus far I have been able to.  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#6345045 - 12/07/06 04:31 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

they sound good in my mind.

This should be enough. You are drawn. Explore them and test them to the best of your ability. If they don't work, chuck em.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#6345148 - 12/07/06 05:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I myself have explored Castaneda's ideas through action for nearly a decade. I have found that the parts of it that I have become proficient with have benefited me enormously in nearly every aspect of life.

--------------------

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
    #6345348 - 12/07/06 06:17 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bug said:
but I guess that doesn't really matter as long as I can apply the lessons in his works to my own life with positive results - thus far I have been able to.  :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Amen.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Castaneda Complete [Re: StroFun]
    #6347432 - 12/08/06 09:00 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I know some have expressed interest in something along these lines, so let's keep this thread stickied for a little while and consider it an opportunity to discuss all things Castaneda. :cool:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Castaneda Complete - if the path has love it is a good one [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6347493 - 12/08/06 09:24 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I bet fewer people can agree on the meaning of don juan than can on the meaning of jesus.

IMO the brilliant and wacky things he said and did in the books are all about his specific connection to casteneda, rather than indicative of some arcane systematized knowledge.

he uses words in contradictory ways so that any system built on it should fail (not like the bible), and what he is most bent upon is dissembling casteneda's systems, in particular those that prevent seeing things all at once, and allowing himself to see things without denial or overchecking. i.e.
"don't ask if you were really a crow; what direction did the silver birds come at you from?..."

like private sessions with a zen master - the content is actually irrelevant except to the chemistry between student and teacher. it is just such a marvelous joy to read the records or fabrications, and very encouraging on many levels (which might be like the bible to some people)

in that way power is how the teacher and student minds interpenetrate, i.e. in the cause of more seeing, and seeing is all about appreciating it.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Castaneda Complete - if the path has love it is a good one [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6347559 - 12/08/06 10:05 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

For anyone who wants to decide this for themselves read the first 20 pages of Magical Passes, then decide if there is anything to this for you. I think it's all there in those 20 pages.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Castaneda Complete - if the path has love it is a good one [Re: Icelander]
    #6347862 - 12/08/06 12:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Good hint Ice. I did read some of his works some many years ago, but perhaps they were badly translated or I was/am in dissonance with it, I am not able to judge right now, but I disliked them. I also see/saw Redgreens points in there.
I will go into it again in english (was it the language he wrote it in?) and start with your recommended part. Thanks :heart:
And thanks Hue for 'sharing' :heart:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Castaneda Complete - if the path has love it is a good one [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6349219 - 12/08/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I bet fewer people can agree on the meaning of don juan than can on the meaning of jesus.

I do not think that this is an accurate statement. I truly think that most people who have studied the work in detail for a long period of time will come to very similar conclusions. Of course, with time more nuances become apparent as the work grows deeper with the practice of it's principles.

Quote:

he uses words in contradictory ways so that any system built on it should fail (not like the bible), and what he is most bent upon is dissembling casteneda's systems

To an extent this is accurate, but the leading edge principles discussed are not contradictory at all, but clearcut and for direct action. Such principles would include losing self importance, erasing personal history, and becoming inaccessible. These ideas were not only meant to break Castaneda's programming, but to build upon that a system geared towards responsibility and choice through awareness.

Quote:

the content is actually irrelevant except to the chemistry between student and teacher

This is false, as Castaneda was clearly presenting this to the public as an alternate way to perceive. This was not about a teaching from don Juan to Carlos, but from Carlos to his readers. The actions indicated were not for Carlos, but prescribed by him for his readers.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Castaneda Complete - if the path has love it is a good one [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #6349225 - 12/08/06 08:39 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

As with any spiritual teaching, a true study of this work is not just reading, but determined practice.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#6349638 - 12/08/06 11:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

One more point: Lets quit worrying about what don Juan intended as most hard core critics would argue that he is a fictional character. Is it not more accurate to view it from the perspective of what "don Carlos" intended? In the end these ideas where presented by Castaneda in the way that Castaneda intended, no matter who his teacher may have been. A more than cursory glance will show that these books are more than a simple adventure story and that they promote a teaching in and of their selves.

--------------------

Edited by Huehuecoyotl (12/08/06 11:12 PM)

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Castaneda Complete - if the path has love it is a good one [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #6349852 - 12/09/06 12:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
As with any spiritual teaching, a true study of this work is not just reading, but determined practice.

I won't practice anything without the beginning of understanding or with a feeling of dissonance that may bury my own connections to higher insights, at least until I identified those disconnecting issues and am able to keep my own (identified) values in hold for me against some external insult, what I see/saw Castaneda was/is doing.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order