Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetihkalpihkal
captain insano
Male User Gallery

Loc: The basement of the alamo
cake vs. bleach
    #6340633 - 12/06/06 01:46 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I am using a perlite humidification that I sprayed with 30/70 bleach water after i added my inch of water to the two inches of perlite(approx). I heard about rolling cakes in vermiculite so i stupidly figured I could roll a cake in the perlite. However the perlite probably had way to much bleach. Do you think I killed my cake???

--------------------
Was the lockness monster in fact Jack the Ripper?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
Re: cake vs. bleach [Re: tihkalpihkal]
    #6340679 - 12/06/06 01:58 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

If indeed the perlite was retaining the bleach up untill that point than yes, I would presume it would produce a negative effect on the life of the cake. Also, I'm fairly positive there's nothing for the myc to attach to compared to a true casing layer, so it would functionally block surface area (and subsequent light in those areas) available for pinning. If you look it up you will see: "Perlite is an amorphous volcanic glass that has a relatively high water content."

Raw perlite for comparison:

Edited by xeallos (12/06/06 02:00 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: cake vs. bleach [Re: xeallos]
    #6340781 - 12/06/06 02:24 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Bleach is not toxic to fungi, only spores. It's fine to clean out a glovebox or table if you mix it at ten percent, or also mixed at ten percent it can be used to disinfect a mini-greenhouse to kill flies and fly larvae between crop cycles. 30% bleach is too strong though. Don't go over ten percent or it isn't as effective.

In addition, any perlite that is under water is useless and may as well not be there. Remember, perlite works by evaporating moisture from its surface. If that surface is under water, nothing is going to evaporate off from it. You should wet your perlite under the faucet with running water, then drain well in a collander and toss into the FC two to three inches deep. This will provide the maximum possible humidity for three to six weeks at which time you can repeat the process.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinetihkalpihkal
captain insano
Male User Gallery

Loc: The basement of the alamo
Re: cake vs. bleach [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6340836 - 12/06/06 02:34 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the input I appreciate it.

--------------------
Was the lockness monster in fact Jack the Ripper?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale