Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinebigmoneyAA
Stranger
hey guys let me run this by you before i start
    #6340020 - 12/06/06 10:27 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Here is my plan i have 3 3pound spawns bags with wbs pre-steralized i bough online. I plan to use LC to inoculate then after its colonized spawn into some compost/verm. After that colonizes case and fruit sound reasonable? Also do i just pasteurize the compost before mixing with the wbs? And last with 9 pounds of colonized wbs how much compost can i spawn with that?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hey guys let me run this by you before i start [Re: bigmoneyAA]
    #6340036 - 12/06/06 10:31 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

yes, you'll want to pasteurize the compost prior to use

1:4 is a common spawn ratio though we usually talk about volume, using the ratio with weight will work too as its not all that critical, so for every pound of wbs you can use up to 4lbs of hydrated compost mix (you can definitely use less, you can use more - using more means slower colonization though, and a slightly increased contamination risk, so it gets trickier, but some have stretched spawn ratios as high as 1:10 with success.)

OfflinebigmoneyAA
Stranger
    #6340042 - 12/06/06 10:32 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

hey sorry its not wbs its 3 3 pound presteralized bags of rye berrys

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6340061 - 12/06/06 10:36 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

that doesn't change anything, same exact advice still applies. :smile:

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6340064 - 12/06/06 10:36 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

plan sounds great.

Yes, just pasteurize the compost.

As far as how much bulk sub to use, depends what the volume of the grain bags are. for every quart of spawn stay under 5 quarts of compost. Also, instead of verm to fluff up your compost i recommend coir. it'll fluff just as well as verm and it's got some nutes as well.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: hey guys let me run this by you before i start [Re: Primate]
    #6340068 - 12/06/06 10:38 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

bah, beat me CC.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

OfflinebigmoneyAA
Stranger
Re: hey guys let me run this by you before i start [Re: creamcorn]
    #6340075 - 12/06/06 10:39 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

hey thanks alto I'm new to postings here but will up date with pics once it gets good :smile:
I was thinking whats the best way to pasteurize can u do it in the oven just cook at like 175 for a while or best to do it in water at the same temp?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6340086 - 12/06/06 10:43 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

some do do it in the oven, but a hot water bath is your best bet... some can get pretty reliable results from careful microwaving too...

there's several ways to go about it, if you go to the search engine and look for "pasteurization tek" and put "RogerRabbit" in the username you'll get his method, which is basically how i go

difference is i hydrate my bulk substrate to the appropriate moisture content first, and load it into a large oven bag.  i then use my pressure cooker (not under pressure, we're pasteurizing not sterilizing here, the PC just so happens to be handy because its a big heavy duty metal pot), and pasteurize it in there... i believe RR specifically speaks of loading into jars in regards to casing mixes but obviously you have a lot more material on your hands with a bulk substrate, so thats where the oven bag comes in handy

others like to put the bulk in a pillowcase or cheesecloth, and treat it to a hot water bath, then squeeze out the excess moisture later... i prefer to get it right in advance and keep it that way rather than fooling around with the mess of squeezing it out... whatever works for you though :thumbup:

OfflinebigmoneyAA
Stranger
    #6340094 - 12/06/06 10:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry I'm full of questions today...
So if u used a 1:4 spawn ratio and have 9 pounds of colonized rye Berry's that I'm spawning into compost what kind of yield am i looking at dry?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6340125 - 12/06/06 10:55 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

anybody's guess.

biological efficiency (BE) is a way of predicting your yields.  but you'll need some specific information to figure it out...

BE is calculated by taking the DRY weight of your combined substrate materials (your rye, before hydrating it, and the dry weight of fully dehydrated compost), then multiplying it by the BE factor (anywhere from 100%-250%), the resulting number is your WET harvest weight, and your dry weight will be approximately 8% of that.

the BE factor varies a lot depending on your strain, and your methods.

for example though, if you had 1lb total dry substrate and achieve 200% BE, you could roughly expect 2lbs wet mushrooms, or about 2.5 ounces dry mushrooms.

problem here is that you bought pre-prepared grains so you don't know how much they weighed dry... (there's ways to guess, knowing optimal moisture percentages and such), and it depends of course how much your compost weighs fully dehydrated so that depends on your source again and how its prepared... and your BE number is really anybody's guess until you have a good deal of experience behind you, and even then is only really predictible if you work with an isolated strain.

so yeah, long story short, its not impossible to predict yields, but in your situation, it really is anybody's guess. :smile:

Edited by creamcorn (12/06/06 10:56 AM)

OfflinebigmoneyAA
Stranger
Re: hey guys let me run this by you before i start [Re: creamcorn]
    #6340136 - 12/06/06 10:58 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

hey thanks alot for your help its greatly appreciated i will keep u guys updated.

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6340157 - 12/06/06 11:03 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i dont know for sure. but a very nice yield indeed. most possible would be dry substrate weight X 2. that would be the the physically highest yield possible in wet yield. so im guesing your total dry sub weight is somewhere between 4 and 6 LBS. so i'd guess your max yield would be between 8 and 12 lbs wet yield. So to be safe i'd assume 5 to 8 lbs wet yield. That would be .5 to .8 LBS dry. Alot of variables there so it's hard to say. Either way alot.

Might wana have some of the old hands check my math hehe.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6340209 - 12/06/06 11:17 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

CC, i thought BE maxxed at 200? wouldnt 250 BE be 1 dry lb sub = 2.5 lbs mushrooms wet. Wouldnt that mean the mushroom water content would have to be like 150% of the wet yield weight? which doesnt seem possible.

Or am i missing something here?

thanks

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

OfflinebigmoneyAA
Stranger
    #6340216 - 12/06/06 11:18 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Wow that would be more than i need..
Hypothetically though i have read that u can use spawn up to three time before u get the risk of having lots of mutants etc. For example if i used my 9 pounds of colonized rye berries to 1:4 ratio to spawn compost then use the 1:4 ratio to spawn again on compost one could grow many many pounds which would be unnecessary because what one person need that many but just wondering if hypothetically that even fathomable

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

#6340320 - 12/06/06 11:37 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

search for super spawning. Remember though, you cannot use that original sub after fruiting it. it needs to be fresh(un-fruited) spawn.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6340359 - 12/06/06 11:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Primate said:
CC, i thought BE maxxed at 200?  wouldnt 250 BE be 1 dry lb sub = 2.5 lbs mushrooms wet.  Wouldnt that mean the mushroom water content would have to be like 150% of the wet yield weight?  which doesnt seem possible.

Or am i missing something here?

thanks

-Prim

dont forget, water can be replenished through dunking.  water is also absorbed into the substrate via the casing layer... so moisture can get added a few places along the way, so that might be what you're missing. :wink:  BE takes into account the TOTAL yield of all flushes too don't forget.  considering the dry mass of a fruitbody is only 8% its total weight, that means even maxing out your BE, there's actually a whole lot of subsrate that never makes it into the fruitbody (some is never fully digested, some is converted to energy, etc)

200% is towards the upper area of what most will see... 250% is possible though (believe it or not people hit 250% often with cakes, because they are very receptive to dunking, despite their bad rap as a newbie method and the tedious prep work, they're one if not the best in terms of BE)... and HippieChick just recently posted about beating the 250% mark by a little.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds