Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

Mushrooms and bi-polar
    #633978 - 05/17/02 05:47 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I have bi-polar and am on lithium and would like to take mushrooms.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not this is a good idea?
if anyone else with bi-polar who has indulged in mushrooms has any info that would be especially good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: Mr_Peach]
    #634596 - 05/17/02 03:35 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I am curious as well, my girlfriend said she wanted to try shrooms but I am cautious because she is Bi-Polar ...

A friend of mine who is severely manic-depressive and is on I think 9 meds a day (including an anti-psychotic) used to trip with me all the time, though sometimes he would get depressed for a few days after, but he was always fine for the trip. He's taken up to 6 hits of acid and 3/8 of mushies and came out just fine, so I wouldn't worry, but I'd be cautious if I were you.

OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: HB]
    #635343 - 05/18/02 10:06 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i have been on anti psychotics before but only needed them for a while.

hmmm, hopefully mjshroomer will also answer this thread then.

OfflineDaMigraine
Beats so hard itrequiresprotection
Loc: New Hampshire
    #636980 - 05/19/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Im Bi-Polar and I have tripped quite a few times and I am fine. I think Bi-Polar is another "fake" disorder that quack doctors have come up with, like ADD.

--------------------
I keep my posts like a bikini bottom, long enough to cover the subject... short enough to keep it interesting.

OfflineDaMigraine
    #636984 - 05/19/02 08:39 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Lithium used to make me piss myself when I was sleeping.

--------------------
I keep my posts like a bikini bottom, long enough to cover the subject... short enough to keep it interesting.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: DaMigraine]
    #637025 - 05/19/02 09:35 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmm... you are either not bi-polar,misdiagnosed, being a dick or are at the stage (which most people who are close to a manic depressive or are MD and are not currently ill) where you think the medication doesn't do anything.
Take your pick.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineAbstractSoul

#637634 - 05/20/02 09:41 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

my girlfriend is also bi polar and she wants to trip for her first time and i am kind of cautious. the only thing that she has tried is mdma and she is fine(althought she gets pretty far gone on it). she hates weed because she says it makes her feel crazy so that also kind of makes me cautious...

--------------------
---------------------------------------------
house is a spiritual thing
---------------------------------------------

OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: AbstractSoul]
    #638609 - 05/21/02 02:31 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i dont like the lithium and i know it can do long term damage in some cases but it is better than being manic. actually it isnt, in that being manic was fucking wicked. more so for me than other people though.

Anonymous

#639734 - 05/21/02 08:18 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

The only thing I can offer in this conversation is personal experience..which has always been fine.

also, there is a study being done in AZ. ,at the Northern U of A in Flagstaff, that is currently accepting volunteers with clinically diagnosed Bi-polar disorder. They are testing the effects of psilly mushies on the disorder. They suspect that when used in small doses it can be beneficial.

~K~

Edited by MystrysAbsynth (05/21/02 08:19 PM)

OfflineDaMigraine
    #639736 - 05/21/02 08:24 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Let me tell ya something. Taking mad meds cannot be good for your liver or mind for that matter. Heaven forbid just let people be CrAzY!!!!! The solution: shove pills down peoples mouths for years and swicth em aound until they find the right one?? ABSOLUTELY AB-FUCKING-SURD!!!! Im done with doctors.

--------------------

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#639748 - 05/21/02 08:39 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hope yo uhave a loving family that can take care of you. Unfortunately you have to be able to work to live in this world and being Manic makes that near impossible.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #640348 - 05/22/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

it is hard to do anything you dont want to when manic.

still if you can pull off some sort of artistic job, photography, painting or even film, then that would work well, maybe even better than usual.

as long as you have lots of sane people doing the menial stuff.

damn, i wish i lived in that state. still it's a bit of a trek from the uk.

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #640883 - 05/22/02 06:25 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldnt say its a good idea, but i wouldnt say its a bad idea either. I dont think it's a really big deal, at least as far as bi-polar disorder. Of course it depends on how extreme your extremes are. In my experiance, mushrooms can sometimes change my mood for 3-7 days aftger taking them. Most of the time its always a positive change. Like if i'm sort of depressed and shit it can make my outlook alot more positive. On the other hand its also made me depressed before after i've had a bad trip or a boring trip. So i would say it could maybe "switch" your mood around a little. I would just say dont take any meds for a couple days before a trip, or cut your dose of shrooms in half because of the effvects of MAOI's on phsycadellics.
Lithium is apparently the worst of all to combine with acid or shrooms. It can ammplify and prolong the effects in case you didnt already know.

I havent taken medication in about 4 years, and i'm beginning to doubt i was ever bi polar to begin with. But just in case i might have been...i hope that helps.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #641164 - 05/23/02 01:28 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

how many days does it take to get lithium out of ones system?

OfflineDaMigraine
    #641646 - 05/23/02 09:58 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

To Sirtripsalot: I disagree, I have a job and I somehow manage to function in this here society. Are you Manic-Depressive?? Were you diagnosed??

Maybe it is because I choose not to use this "illness" as a crutch.

--------------------

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

#641711 - 05/23/02 10:36 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

No I am not but I do have close people to me who are. Believe what you want.. I understand visions of grandure are part of it as well. You are not Manic depressive, or misdiagnosed or..well read my above post.

--------------------

OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

#644492 - 05/25/02 07:49 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i think whether or not one uses illness as a crutch has little bearing on whether it effects you.

how ever happy/positive you are, if manic depression wants to fuck you up, it will.

i dont agree that pills are completely wrong but then again for some people the pills just fuck them up more.

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #645392 - 05/26/02 12:24 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

What's this bi-polar stuff? Can someone explain? Is this a manic-depressive ill?

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #645397 - 05/26/02 12:36 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I knew a manic depressive girl before, she was in love with me, but would not ever touch me, be nice to me, or anything else, she would only come over to smoke with me, I found out she was in love with me because one day, she really started to be angry at me for dating another girl, anyways she took some kind of antidepressent, xanax maybe, I think it was something else, though, but yeah I think mushrooms would be good for this depressed person, or exercise, either exercise, or psychedlics, nothing else will cure depression, expecially fda issued drugs.

OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #645448 - 05/26/02 02:52 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

bi-polar is just a newer name for manic depression.

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #645718 - 05/26/02 07:22 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

actually bi-polar disorder is a milder form of "manic depression" bi-polar people have more frequent mood swings and can be manic or depressed for shorter periods of time. True manic-depressives are ussually depressed or extremly happy for weeks or months at a time.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: Mushrooms and bi-polar [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #646050 - 05/26/02 10:57 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

They are the same thing. Manic depression is a more comman term used bi-polar more medical. Heres an example of a typical webpage on the net where they use the terms interchangebly.
http://home.golden.net/~soul/bipolar1.html

--------------------

OfflineMr_Peach
Stranger

#648918 - 05/28/02 02:16 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

there is another disorder called bi-polar 2 disorder or somesuch, and that is different.

OfflineUncounted
Stranger
Loc: Minnesota
    #650561 - 05/29/02 03:45 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

K. Bi-polar is manic depression. Period. Same thing, bi-polar is just the correct medical term. The faster cycling bi-polar is called cyclothymia. I have a friend who is bi-polar and it is real, if he doesn't take his meds there is a noticable difference. Basically becomes super irrational, angers easily, gets kinda violent. That or he stops caring about anything and shows the normal depression stuff.

--------------------
The sum of evil would be much diminished if men could only learn to sit quietly in their rooms.
-- Pascal

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag