Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Help me design my growroom
    #6334751 - 12/05/06 12:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

well guys the time has come for me to build an indoor(or outdoor) growroom for my oysters.

I plan to house 10-30 large spawn bags at a time. pink oysters for now, soon i will add golden and blue as well.

ive done my research and i cant really find anything fitting my plans. all i find is small table top cultivation or full on independent grow houses.

I would like to set something up in my house but im not exactly sure where to begin. i have plenty of treated wood for shelves and plastic sheeting for walls. keeping the conditions right for the oysters is what is getting me stuck. they're so picky im thinking i wont even be able to do it indoors.

since im in florida the temps here dont stay too cold for very long. Do you guys think an outdoor setup would work well? i was thinking maybe a pavilion type room with screen walls and an overhead misting system. I think the screen windows would allow for sufficient air exchange and light, and keep the bugs out at the same time. the misting system would of course take care of the humidity.

I want to keep this as simple as i can but i want it done right. if i can use mother nature to help i would prefer that. though if you guys can help me with a good indoor setup i will gladly do that too.

i just need to be pointed in the right direction. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

--------------------

Edited by waixingren (12/05/06 12:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Help me design my growroom [Re: waixingren]
    #6335617 - 12/05/06 10:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

http://forums.mycotopia.net/showthread.php?t=13403
this is a good link over at mycotopia

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#6343770 - 12/07/06 11:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hey waixingren.. sounds like you are on your way.. what are the avg temps there in Florida? I would say an outdoor setup would be ideal. Don't bother with the indoor stuff except for perhaps incubation..

setup a shade house like micolo's.. just a wooden frame w/ shade cloth + plastic on top, screened sections for the front and back...

you can buy a premade metal frame from growers supply places..

something like this setup w/ misters will work just fine for you, as well as being easy and relatively cheap to setup.. you can build a smaller 6x10 structure or something really easy and would be a good size for a startup operation, growing 20-40lbs or so a full load.

id love to be of any assitance, let me know if you need some plans drawn up

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help me design my growroom [Re: mattymonkey]
    #6343881 - 12/07/06 11:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the link thallus. and thank you for the advice matty. I think i will end up doing something similar to what micolo has. I'd say average day temps in the winter are around 60-75º F, at night around 50-60º. plus 1-3 nights a year when the weather gets nuts and we actually get to freezing. during the rest of the year we are lucky to get into the 70s at all.

I'm going to meet with some people today to discuss the design. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

--------------------

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#6346040 - 12/07/06 11:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

meeting with people to discuss designs? great! have a team of growers to talk to? how close to ECHO are you? JD might be of some help as well..

--------------------

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Carbon based lifeform
Male User Gallery
Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
    #6346839 - 12/08/06 03:58 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Do not worry for the weather conditions. I say you that where our friends micololo lives the freezing is a routine.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Personally i'm really interested in your project.

:sun: Fabio :sun:

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6347194 - 12/08/06 09:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mattymonkey said:
how close to ECHO are you? JD might be of some help as well..

I live about 15 minutes away from ECHO. It's a great place, you guys should go if you are ever in south florida. I havent had a chance to meet with Jeremy in person but we correspond via PM often. He is a great guy and has helped me a lot.

as far as the growroom goes, we have come up with a design and are likely to begin construction this week. estimated cost is going to be $250-$350. I will have a lot more detail later along with many pictures.

Thanks guys!

--------------------

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Carbon based lifeform
Male User Gallery
Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
    #6347275 - 12/08/06 10:01 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hi waixingren, also if you've your project yet this link can help you in the design :

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/mushroom.html

(i've found it on thenook.org)

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Help me design my growroom [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #6348950 - 12/08/06 09:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the link FSP, i didnt know about those mushroom journals

--------------------

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #6350397 - 12/09/06 11:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hey everyone!
Happy Holiday season to you all!

Okay Waxingren, here are a few suggestions you may find helpful. First use different species of oysters for the different seasons - hot and cool that we have here. Pinks are a warm weather variety and fruit really well in the higher 70s to 100F in my experience, also Yellows are warmer weather oysters. Blue strains are the ones to use in the "winter" here from December to April, because they'll fruit well in 50F and also do well all the way up to 80F. You'll still need to colonize in closer to 75-83F.

If you can, use a separate area for colonizing and another for fruiting. It will keep everything moving smoothly.

You can definitely use the outdoors using the species switching to match the outdoor temps. The growhouse at ECHO uses no temp controls, except if it was going to drop below 45F, I would put a little heater in the grow room.

My biggest problem in growing was bugs. Honestly, they weren't that big a problem, but annoying. I'm relatively sure you'll run into problems with them, so anything you can do to prevent their access to your area, the better.

For a misting system, use a fogger from mainlandmart.com. I saw a post that Agar made using one of their foggers that was just genius, like everything that guy does, he's amazing.
here;
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6252361#6252361

I would use RR's old log tek for making your bags. Buy your polytubing here
http://www.papermart.com/templates/25-0-10.htm
I used the 4 mil 12 inch diameter (You may find it cheaper elsewhere, but it's where I buy mine, and I couldn't find it cheaper last year when I bought a few rolls...

We actually built a "bag loader" at ECHO that fills the bags nice and tight in about 5 minutes. (I like to spawn as I go as opposed to spawning a large amount of pasteurized straw and then filling the bags. I fill a little straw, a little spawn, an little straw, and so on.) If you want, we can organize a day, one weekend, and I can take you around and show you all the stuff we have to make things easier, including our 55 gallon drums. They have built in turkey thermometers to constantly measure temp at a glance, drainage valves at the bottom to make getting out all that water easy and simple, hot water heater blankets to insulate, so that once the water is at temp, the burners are turned off and the barrel itself holds temps for about 4-5 hours with no more external heat (saves propane costs). I would've posted pictures of the barrels a while back, but the guy that made them was worried that people would make them incorrectly and get hurt, so I just honored his wishes. I used mesh laundry bags for holding the straw in the barrels, a McCullough (I may have spelled that wrong) chipper/shredder for chopping the straw (3 bales/hour)...all kinds of stuff...

Anyway there's so much to go through, so just let me know and I'll chime in with more.
Light and love,
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Offlinechrisscole
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oxon, England
Re: Help me design my growroom [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #6351855 - 12/09/06 07:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jeremy_Davis said:

very nice, what are they exactly? Bags in a box, or just harvested mushrooms?

Chris

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Help me design my growroom [Re: chrisscole]
    #6351975 - 12/09/06 08:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thats about 15 lbs. harvested in a box. I like to face all the caps the same way, just looks better for marketing. However it's really better to use boxes with less depth, stackable, and not stack mushroom clusters one on top of the other. They keep better if not layered...That was one of my problems that I've talked with Waxingren privately about-it's best to use what's called common footprint packaging, or F2R (field-to-retail) boxes. They stack easily and keep the product looking it's best, and their depth is just right.
Light and Love,
Jeremy

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Help me design my growroom [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #6396968 - 12/22/06 03:00 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

How is it going? what do your plans look like so far?.

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help me design my growroom [Re: thallus]
    #6397029 - 12/22/06 03:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

we have made much progress on it. It is almost fully assembled. I'll start a new post with pictures later today or tomorrow. Thank you for your interest!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale