Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
has anyone used worm casting tea in substrate?
    #6333737 - 12/04/06 05:54 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

wondering if worm casting tea is useful in a substrate and if so how much is good?

i suppose it might be good in some way with a coir substrate but would it be adviseable to add to poo?

any suggestions on how to use it beneficially?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrSparkles
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: has anyone used worm casting tea in substrate? [Re: Shnezbit]
    #6333894 - 12/04/06 06:48 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I'm using some in a substate that's currently pasteurizing. Here's the reciple I was given:

Step 1: Making the 'tea'

2 cups worm castings
1.25 gallons water

Simmer worm castings for one hour uncovered. Then turn off heat, cover, and let sit overnight (ideally). Next day, carefully decant tea into water jug. You should get about 1 gallon of tea.

Pour remaining sludge in another container and top off with water. Use this for watering plants.

Step 2: Preparing and mixing the substrate

1.5 pound brick of coco coir
1 gallon worm casting 'tea'
5 pounds worm casting
1.5 cups water

Mix brick of coco coir and 'tea' into large garbage bag. Ideally, your tea should be warm. This will aid in the expansion of the coir. Let sit until all water is absorbed. If the coir seems a little dry, add some more water but the ration is almost bang on. Squeeze out any excess. There should be no excess water in the bag.

Mix the worm castings (5 lbs) and water (1.5 cups) together. Again, go by feel. The casting should be moist but not wet. Different brands differ and SLOWLY add water if you think you need more.

Step 3: Pasteurizing the substrate

Expanded coir from step 2
Moistened worm castings from step 2
2 turkey sized oven bags
zipties
polyfill (optional)
meat thermometer
oven

Pre-heat oven to 300F. Pour wet worm castings into garbage bag with the expanded coir. Mix very well and pour substrate into the two turkey bags. Close one of the bags with the zipties. With the other, place the thermometer in the neck of the bag before you close it with the ziptie. Neither bag should be completely closed. If the seal is too tight, the bag (may) explode or rupture in the oven. Ideally, you would use the polyfill in the neck of the bag (where the ziptie closes it off). This would facilitate air exchange while keeping any contaminants out.

When the thermometer that you placed in one bag reaches about 140F, turn the oven down to 170F. Most oven thermostats are suprisingly accurate. Try to make sure the temperature in the bag remains about 170F BUT MUST NOT EXCEED 180F!!! In excess of 180F will invite contams. Keep the temperature steady for at least 2 hours, ideally 3. Let bags cool in the oven overnight.

Or you may use your own pasteurization method (pillowcase soak, oven bag in 170F water, etc).

Mix with your spawn in a large (~25 gallon) Rubbermaid bin or similiar and let the whole thing colonize. Case it with coir 1" when it's 100% colonized and stand back.

I'm just getting ready to do this myself (I pulled this off another site I won't mention) and I'll let you know how it works out. However, my plants love the sludge left over from the first step!

Sparks

--------------------
I'm a street walking cheetah
with a heart full of napalm
I'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb

- Search & Destroy by Iggy Pop & The Stooges

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Re: has anyone used worm casting tea in substrate? [Re: MrSparkles]
    #6333944 - 12/04/06 06:58 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

cool thanks.

the reason i asked was because i saw in a hydro store worm casting tea being sold. i suppose your recipe would be good with that skipping the making of the tea part.

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: has anyone used worm casting tea in substrate? [Re: MrSparkles]
    #6333969 - 12/04/06 07:03 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i just posted about this about a week ago.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6305378#6305378

if it is effective it would be a great addition for alot of people, i think. hopefully the tea retains many of the nutrients that actual casting have, and can still be consumed by the myc. since i can't find castings locally. tea is the next best option. gonna be trying this as well my next grow.

Keep us updated guys.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Re: has anyone used worm casting tea in substrate? [Re: Primate]
    #6333980 - 12/04/06 07:05 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

thats odd, before i posted i did a search for worm casting tea and nothing came up.

thanks for the link.

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: has anyone used worm casting tea in substrate? [Re: Shnezbit]
    #6334005 - 12/04/06 07:12 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

i dont think i actually used the wording "worm casting tea." Since what i am going to use is a product sold at home depot and walmart that is liquified worm castings. essentially the same thing as worm casting tea i would assume.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate