Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Jiffy Mix for casing & slice direction
    #631923 - 05/15/02 02:57 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Howdy all. I ordered my spores and hopefully they'll be here by the end of next week. So now down to business. Mucho thanks to Ganjashroom and Sixpac440 for helping me out with my many little questions...but here are two questions for everyone.

I noticed several references in other posts about "Jiffy Mix". Now...I'm assuming this is NOT the cornbread mix in the baking isle at the supermarkets. Isn't this Jiffy Mix you're referring to a peat moss/vermiculite/lime combination soil?? Please help me clarify this. I'd like to use 50/50+ casing mix for my two strains I'm going to case (ecuadors and mazatapecs) and I'm simply going to birth cakes in the PF-Tek fashion for my Puerto Ricans. But I need to know if Jiffy Mix is the same thing I'm thinking of our if I need to buy and mix my own 50/50+ ingredients.

Secondly, also about casing, it seems that slicing the mycellium cakes give the mycellium layer in the casing much more even and that's totally logical...my question is this: Once you birth the cake into a big plastic bag, and you flip it so the "top" that was facing up in the incubator is now facing up again, do you slice the cake horizontally and keep all the slices still facing in the same upward direction or does it not matter if you're going to case?

Thanks for any and all replies! I can't wait to be able to sit and type in my "first trip experience" in a few more months.

Love & Light,

Boppity

np: Blue Planet Corporation "The Antidote"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Jiffy Mix for casing & slice direction [Re: Boppity604]
    #632018 - 05/15/02 04:02 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

In reply to:

Isn't this Jiffy Mix you're referring to a peat moss/vermiculite/lime combination soil??

Yes. Its the same as 50/50 but it comes in a bag already made for you. Im not sure where u get it though.

In reply to:

do you slice the cake horizontally

Yes. that's the best way cause you get a nice level surface and its not as messy as crumbling the cake.

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
Re: Jiffy Mix for casing & slice direction [Re: bassplayer74]
    #632157 - 05/15/02 05:36 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Jiffy mix or Jiffy mix plus is a potting soil you can find at walmart.I'm using Jiffy mix plus. I hear that mixing it yourself is alot better though; i'm doing it this way next time a bit more work and running around though.
peatmoss
vermiculite
lime
crushed oyster shell(Feed stores)my local feed store sells 50 lb. bags for $7
there is a recipe in the shroomery under casings check out first.
jiffy mix is probably easiest
i've never sliced them i crumble them. i think i'll try slicing too

Edited by staindblue (05/15/02 05:40 PM)

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Re: Jiffy Mix for casing & slice direction [Re: staindblue]
    #632172 - 05/15/02 05:44 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You should respond to the person you are talking to. That way they'll get an email letting them know that someone responded to them. i got the email instead.

--------------------

Offlinestaindblue
enthusiast

Loc: GodsCountry
    #632220 - 05/15/02 06:32 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

thanks i didn't know that. Can you believe i've been coming to the shroomery for a year now reading and just two months ago i finally checked out the forums section and registered?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #633321 - 05/16/02 02:47 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

they will only get an email if they checked the little box "Email all replies to my real email address" when they posted.

I never do it....cause its a pain in the ass!!!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Re: Jiffy Mix for casing & slice direction [Re: Roadkill]
    #633325 - 05/16/02 02:51 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Ya...Im thinkin about turnin mine off. Almost everytime I reply to a thread I get 2 or 3 emails from people who are not even talking to me.........

--------------------

Offlineerotomania
journeyman
Re: Jiffy Mix for casing & slice direction [Re: staindblue]
    #633516 - 05/16/02 05:22 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

lol, me too. I've been visiting the Shroomery for over 2 years and not until a while ago did I discover the forums!

--------------------
When people hit me I bruise blue.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale