Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
A Diagram for a first time grower
    #632730 - 05/16/02 07:12 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Ok this is a diagram I put together for hopefully my first grow that will be starting as soon as Dr. Bluethumbs fills his order that I placed.

I was wondering if this looked ok by you master growers. I don't know about the air pump doing anything, and most likely it might have to be taken out because... just because. But, I threw it in there because maybe i'm right about it cirulating the air.

It's a Old fish tank that I have around my house that I thought I could use to start growing one cake in. It's about 10 inches across and about a foot high. I haven't found much on growing lights so if you can fill me in on what to use, that would be cool. I can't do the outside sunlight because of my nosey home owners, so i'm stuck inside. If anyone could give me any pointers that would be very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch guys!, i've learned a lot from you all already.

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: A Diagram for a first time grower [Re: alienated]
    #632738 - 05/16/02 07:18 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Vermiculite shoulf not be one the bottom, perlite should be used.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

Re: A Diagram for a first time grower [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #632743 - 05/16/02 07:20 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You also need about a 1/2 inch layer of water on the bottom... how do you get humidity? It lookds like you have it comming from the pump?

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#632747 - 05/16/02 07:22 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

And you don't need a grow light in the tank, actually outside shining in would be better... Becuase in your set up the light would reflect so much on the inside walls that your baby would be confused and grow every which way. Mushrooms use light to determine which way to grow.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#632751 - 05/16/02 07:23 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

What is the platform inside the terrarium? Can you explain the purpose of that?

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#632752 - 05/16/02 07:24 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

All in all, getting a rubbermaid? container that can hold 6-12 cakes would be reccomended over this one. It looks like you've built an upscale version of the poormans terrarium.

InvisibleWe_come_in_peace
old hand

Loc: Alpha Centauri
    #632761 - 05/16/02 07:29 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Don't listen to retard hermit. As far as cakes go they grow out the sides and top and bottom. It is important for for your light source to be from above but really with cakes it don't matter they do what they do. However retardhermit did point out you should use perlite which is a good idea. Good luck with your grow.

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #632768 - 05/16/02 07:32 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

about the air pump, if you use it, you need a regulator, and you want to run it to a small jar of water/peroxide with a bubblestone on the end of the line, otherwise you will be pumping nasties in w/ the air. but, like you said, i would do away with it all together. i usually do casings, but did a cake the other day, just for something different, and all i am using is a 5 gallon bucket, w/ perlite on the bottom for humidity. i placed a square of tin foil on top of the perlite for the cake to sit on, and covered the pail w/ seran wrap. and it is working great, lol not exactly something bill nye the science guy would be proud of, but it works

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

#632773 - 05/16/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

the air pump idea, gone. perlite idea added thanks for the help. like i said though, i'm pretty sure i can't let these be scene so they have to be kept in doors. the platform was like i've seen in pictures, just to keep the cake from touching the perlite (but, i bet it can touch and i'm just wierd).

i'm going to big sur, california right now (1 hour drive). i'll check the forums when i get back. thanks for the replys already!

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#632789 - 05/16/02 07:44 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You can use a wire mesh to keep the cakes from sinking into the perlite, and your can always have the cakes resting on upside down jar lids (they will rust)
You shouldn't take away the air pump idea, just know that it's not going to provide humidity (well some if you run it through a cup) It's good for a little air exchange....
And as far as what We_come_in_peace said, that cakes grow where ever they want to... it can be controlled. You just don't want your light in the terrarium, you want it on the outside shining in, or else you will get too much light reflecting off the sides of the fish tank and it may confuse the mushies to become fat asses, so i've heard.

OfflineXiC
journeyman
Loc: Planet Vegita
    #632902 - 05/16/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I always heard never 2 use mesh, just sit it on the lid. Or one of those Micro magic plastic canning jar lids.

-XiC

InvisibleWe_come_in_peace
old hand

Loc: Alpha Centauri
Re: A Diagram for a first time grower [Re: XiC]
    #633010 - 05/16/02 10:17 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Yep like I said don't listen to retardermit.

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: We_come_in_peace]
    #633205 - 05/16/02 12:38 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinerain_angel
EnLigHTenD MiNDRancHeR
Loc: Next door to you
Re: A Diagram for a first time grower [Re: Effed]
    #633219 - 05/16/02 12:56 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I think the hermit is right too, you can use mesh from what i hear from many others, but i also lay down tinfoil, so my jars lids wont rust, and i can re-use them whenever i need too. Im using the bubbler stone trick in my setup, and i just brought the biggest damn bucket i could find, got a air pump that has 2 tubes, put em in 2 diff cups w/ hydrogen peroxide, works great!
peace
rain

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Re: A Diagram for a first time grower [Re: rain_angel]
    #633559 - 05/16/02 05:56 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

angel, i was wondering if you could go into maybe a little detail on your setup with the air filter. and ... what do you mean by setting them into proxcide... i'm confused.

--------------------
-m.

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

#633915 - 05/17/02 04:07 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

well, i'm going to be using my tank, but what is another good way to grow like... 3-5 cakes?

--------------------
-m.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#634015 - 05/17/02 06:26 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Well I think he's saying retard hermit, cause hermit was saying you were going to get your humidity through the air pump.

Your setup looks good. Just use perlite instead of verm. No, you dont want a 1/2" layer of water, that harbours contams. All you need to do is get a strainer of somesort, and rinse the perlite, and let it drain out for a few mins. Thne add that damp perlite to the bottom. You'll probably only need a little for that small space.

Use the air pump, have it on a timer, or when your away at work/school. It will maximize your fresh air intake. You'll still want to fan 1-2 times a day with one of those things on. Make sure its filtered air however. you might wana put it in a little rubbermaid container, and have one of those filter disks covering the intake hole in the rubbermadi container. Its worked well for me.

Yes, with cakes you're goign to want to get the direct light from above. This will keep your shrooms growing nice and straight up towards the sky.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

Re: A Diagram for a first time grower [Re: angryshroom]
    #634045 - 05/17/02 06:50 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry, thats not what i ment at all. Let me quote myself
"You also need about a 1/2 inch layer of water on the bottom... how do you get humidity? It lookds like you have it comming from the pump? "

I was simply remarking that in the diagram it looks like the humidity was comming from the pump. As i know this not to be true (a flaw) i suggested putting a 1/2 inch layer of water at the bottom (in the perlite)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

Re: A Diagram for a first time grower [Re: angryshroom]
    #634050 - 05/17/02 06:57 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

| am wrong about one thing tho, if you use water in the bottom, you put h2o2 hydrogen peroxide to fight contams ...

keep it clean

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order