Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomasta
Stranger
Neglect Tek using Rye Cakes?
    #632101 - 05/15/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

So I have a friend who recently has tried to do a neglect tek using rye berries as the original substrate in quart jars. Each of teh jars was fillied with about 0.5 quarts of substrate and the innoculated. Currently it has been over a month and he has had the jars fully colonized for over 2.5 weeks now. He has been trying to initiate pinning a la Hippie3's neglect, hwoever, no pins have ensued for the past 2 weeks. He is really starting to stress and is trying little experiemtns on the side to get the cakes to pin. Any input as to why they might not be pinning or what needs to be done in order to get them to? He'll try to send me pics sometime soon and I'll post those. The cakes are currently still in their jars and have 4-12 hours of light and some have been cold-shocked in a fridge. Still nothing. Any input would be great, he would really hate to have lost soo many jars. He doesn't really ahve the room for terrarium setups but if that's the only way to go, he'll just have to improvise. Thanks in advance for any help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
Re: Neglect Tek using Rye Cakes? [Re: Shroomasta]
    #632105 - 05/15/02 05:09 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I though the neglect tek was for BRF cakes, not rye berries. I've never heard of that.

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

OfflineShroomasta
Stranger
Re: Neglect Tek using Rye Cakes? [Re: bassplayer74]
    #632122 - 05/15/02 05:18 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

That's is one of the questions I think that needs to be answered...if you can't use rye, why is that? Does the mycelial network need some type of dry scaffolding in order to begin pinning and fruiting? What major role does the verm play in teh BRF cakes that makes it different from the rye cakes? COuld someone please try to answer these questions? Thanks a bunch.

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
    #632152 - 05/15/02 05:33 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

BTW, are you giving them plenty of fresh air and humidity? If so, my advice would be to case them with 1/2" layer of casing material. I cant see why that wouldnt work. You definitely need fresh air and high humidity though.

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

OfflineShroomasta
Stranger
Re: Neglect Tek using Rye Cakes? [Re: bassplayer74]
    #632273 - 05/15/02 07:23 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'll be sure to pass along the info. Still I'm wondering why verm in the BRF is needed in order to pin invitro. Thanks for the input.

OfflineAlpheratus
Loc: neo berlin
    #632335 - 05/15/02 09:18 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

verm in the invitro is to make the substrate more "Fluffy" or more airid so that the jars can colonize faster.... try making two jars pf style, in one jar, pack as much substrate as you can into the jar, and in the other lightly spoon in the substrate without packing down at all. Then see wich one colonizes faster.

I once accidentaly packed the substate into one of my jars (was realy drunk) and it took 3 times as long to fully colonize.

I would definately try adding a dry verm liar, or just make a terrarium and case it.
invitro is ugly!

--------------------
blasted holes into night until she bled sunshine

OfflineShroomasta
Stranger
Re: Neglect Tek using Rye Cakes? [Re: Alpheratus]
    #632393 - 05/16/02 12:06 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

The reasons you state to use verm may be true, however, they would not explain why the jars with rye are not pinning. There must be something that verm contributes to the BRF other than air, he can add air to the rye by shaking it up, yet it hasn't done anything for him. He does understand the reasons you are giving for the verm, which is what he thought it was for in the beginning, now he isn't so sure. Thanks for teh input though.

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
Loc: Born on a mountain, Raise...
    #632413 - 05/16/02 12:48 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Are the jars inverted to drain out the CO2?
Also I remember reading that they begin to fruit when the
nutrition is fully colonized. If they're sensing more nutrition
available, that could be why it's taking longer for them to
shift into fruiting mode. There's certainly no nutritional value
in verm.
Hope that helps.
Free Spore Ring

--------------------
The rest of those, who have gone before us,
cannot settle the unrest of those who follow.
(Finding Forrester)

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #632422 - 05/16/02 01:08 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

fruiting from uncased whole grains such as rye is very erratic at best, and often gives nothing.
you'd better case those.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

#632574 - 05/16/02 04:41 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i've accidently left a few fully colonized quart rye jars under my bed for too long and after a while they started to pin and produce. I think they where under there for like a month total in a rubbermaid tub. Only the shrooms that they did produce in my experence have been really really skinny and long. But the jars where never exposed to light for any significant duration of time so i have no idea what they could look like if you tried to iniate pinning. Just seemed like what i got from accident was a pretty good indication that it wouldn't be worth it to try to get more that way. But all the same i didn't really put that much experementing into it. Seems like you would be better off casing but if neglect tek is your thing then give it a try and post your results...im pretty curious after what happened with my jars.

--------------------
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Neglect Tek using Rye Cakes? [Re: seattlekid]
    #633092 - 05/16/02 11:22 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

i have a quart of rye that been sitting for 3-4 months in constant light and it still hasn't pinned.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineShroomasta
Stranger
Re: Neglect Tek using Rye Cakes? [Re: Hippie3]
    #634352 - 05/17/02 11:03 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'm glad to say that my friend does finnaly have pins in some of his rye jars. He can't quite figure out why some do and most of the rest don't, however, his best guess is that gas exchange levels are probably responsible. The jars that he opened and checke don more frequently were the ones that pinned first. So the only conclusion that he can draw is that he needs to add filter lids or to fan out the rest of the jars in order to get them to pin. I'll update on progress when he tells me more. Thanks.

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

#636178 - 05/19/02 07:13 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

oh i forgot to mention in my last post that filter disks where being used at the time when the pins formed. So i guess that would support your theory shroomasta. I'd be interested in how big your friend's pins get.

--------------------
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags