Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekenable187
Stranger
mold on my cakes!! help!!!
    #6329918 - 12/03/06 10:45 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i keep on getting these green spots that look like mold on my cakes, im using the pf tek. The mushrooms look uneffected...

does this mean all my cakes are doomed??

are the mushrooms still safe to use?

how did this happen???

is the mold contagious toward other cakes??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTRS
The SneakyMastermind
Re: mold on my cakes!! help!!! [Re: kenable187]
    #6329945 - 12/03/06 10:54 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

does this mean all my cakes are doomed??

No.

are the mushrooms still safe to use?

Best to err on the side of caution, but having said that, Im going through a similar situation and am still considering eating them. If it were really bad however then I would say definately do not eat them!

how did this happen???

Could have been poor sterilzation of equipment or not pressure cooking the cakes for long enough. You just gotta be a little cleaner with your procedure I guess.

is the mold contagious toward other cakes??

Yes it can spread to your other cakes. I'd seperate the bad ones. Well actually I'd try to salvage them by cutting the mold out and then spraying with some water/peroxide but if they were real bad I'd just throw them out.

OfflineMustardMan
Peace Frog
Male User Gallery

#6329948 - 12/03/06 10:55 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

If it is greenmold, you'll now because in a few days it will colonize your whole FC... It could also just be bruising, in that case your fine. Take a Q-tip and swab it across the spots, if green comes off onto the Q-tip its green mold.. If thats the case the cakes are history, take the whole tub outside and either throw the whole thing away, or just clean the shit out of it and get rid of those cakes--you don't want all those green mold spores flying all over your house, it could ruin future grows, for years.

--------------------
Wild Psilocybe Ovoideocystidiata

Cultivated Cubensis

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mold on my cakes!! help!!! [Re: MustardMan]
    #6329959 - 12/03/06 11:02 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

you don't want all those green mold spores flying all over your house, it could ruin future grows, for years.

or until you clean the living fuck out of it.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinekenable187
Stranger
Re: mold on my cakes!! help!!! [Re: Roadkill]
    #6329965 - 12/03/06 11:06 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

im using the pf tek so its acually on each cake not a tray. the green spots are very small and they are on the brown rice flower part and non of them ever touch the white colonized part.

so can the cakes still be saved ?

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6331294 - 12/03/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Probably not,I mean if you want to try more power too you but your really would be better of scraping them before you get trich spores all over your house

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
Re: mold on my cakes!! help!!! [Re: Blutjager]
    #6331386 - 12/03/06 08:58 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Pics would really help. You might just be talking about bruising, which is actually blue but easily mistaken as being green/trichoderma mold by newcomers. Assuming it's mold, the green would only be the spores. Meaning that little green spot isn't the only thing you have to worry about. The actual contaminated area is probably a bit bigger. Trichoderma's mycelium is white also.

Any contaminated cakes should be quarantined ASAP. If you wanna try to save it, I think you can apply a little paste of salt/water (or hydrated lime? you're looking to raise the pH) on the area. This will contain the mold, but also kill any mushroom mycelium in the area. I've never tried this, just read bits here and there, so if you do plan on saving the cake, search before following my advice. I could be totally wrong.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: mold on my cakes!! help!!! [Re: Quake3]
    #6331525 - 12/03/06 09:53 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The green molds of mushroom culture are not toxic to healthy humans, so the fruits are fine. Contaminated cakes should be tossed out, once you determine it isn't bruising. Some strains also bruise green rather than blue.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleSaturnGlass
So white andnerdy
Loc: The other side
    #6331538 - 12/03/06 09:57 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kenable187 said:
im using the pf tek so its acually on each cake not a tray. the green spots are very small and they are on the brown rice flower part and non of them ever touch the white colonized part.

so can the cakes still be saved ?

Your saying that you have uncolonized BRF on your cakes? :confused:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies