Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejellyfish

How fast can bacteria germinate?
    #6329850 - 12/03/06 10:11 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I pressure cooked a jar of casing mix of 20 minutes to sterilize it before using and the jar fell over and got a lot of water in it. This morning when I opened up the cooker (about twelve hours since I cooked them) the jar smelt funny. I can't describe the smell maybe it's just the wet peat moss but assuming there were unkilled bacteria spores in the jar would the be able to germinate and smell that quickly?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: How fast can bacteria germinate? [Re: jellyfish]
    #6330528 - 12/03/06 03:34 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Well pastureize your caseing mix. Sterilizing will get you problems and funk.

Just RE-COOK it if your worried about it. Or use your oven with some turkey pans on low heat, much better.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Invisiblejellyfish

Re: How fast can bacteria germinate? [Re: Civ]
    #6331245 - 12/03/06 08:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

How exactly can I pasterize it. Why is sterilizing bad but it's ok for casings doesn't everything die at such high temperatures.

Invisiblejellyfish

#6331258 - 12/03/06 08:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

How exactly can I pasterize it. Why is sterilizing bad but it's ok for cakes doesn't everything die at such high temperatures.

Edited by jellyfish (12/03/06 08:13 PM)

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: How fast can bacteria germinate? [Re: jellyfish]
    #6332060 - 12/04/06 03:15 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Turn on your oven to 185f

Wet your caseing mix, put it in a turkey pan, cover it with foil. Put it in the oven. Wait 2 hours after you get to 185f. Turn off oven. Use the mix in 6 hours after it cools some.

Grains/BRF have lotsa of sleeping spores of contams. So you have to sterilze them at high temps to fry em.

Caseing mixes don't carry a super high spore load like grains do. They are usally non-nutritive and get colonized before anything gets started. So when you pastureize the caseing mix you kill anything that is alive at the time.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (12/04/06 03:16 AM)

Offlineliquidmycelium
Stranger
    #6353001 - 12/10/06 12:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

would you have a better chance of killing everything if you let the jars sit an extra 12hours after soaked and simmered before pCin or is this pointless and also would it be ok to let them sit an extra 12hours before PCin thanks
liquid mycelium

--------------------
im just an ex-con tryin to go straigh and get my kids back

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How fast can bacteria germinate? [Re: liquidmycelium]
    #6353293 - 12/10/06 06:03 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Bacteria is a beneficial organism in casing mixes and you pasteurize in order to keep them alive while killing off molds and mold spores. A sterilized casing material will allow anything that gets on it to grow. A pasteurized casing material is 'alive' and resistant to molds. This has all been written and documented well, and you'll find it with some searching.

Ovens are terrible for mycology, so I don't recommend them for anything because they dry out the material so fast and air is a poor way to transfer heat. Water works much better. You can put pre moistened casing material into jars or bags and submerge them in water in a kettle on the stove. You want the center of your field capacity casing mixture to reach a temperature of 140F to 160F for an hour to an hour and a half, but no more. Use a meat thermometer to tweak your own system.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How fast can bacteria germinate? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6354265 - 12/10/06 02:27 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale