Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
*discussion*: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
    #630858 - 05/14/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I just posted about how we are not all going to be interested in the same books or same reading levels etc. and it would be cool to make suggestion via. the kind I did and then set a deadline to have / start reading the book by and then discuss in book in the same or maybe a new thread. This is all new to all of us so i'm sure we'll start of slowly. I think it would be super cool if we all read the same book for the same time around and maybe smaller suggestions will just detract from the main idea because it will make one group dominate but we're free to read what we want..so.. my suggestion is Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (i'm sure a lot of you have read it and many of you have seen the movie) but it is sort of mushroom / trip related. Anyways, anybody who agrees can post here and we'll see how it goes.

GREAT IDEA!

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegrowin
addict
Re: SUGGESTION: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll [Re: phrozendata]
    #631289 - 05/15/02 05:24 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

yes - it IS related - SHIT- how didnt i think of that?

a growin original

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #631644 - 05/15/02 11:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Trivia:... What other name did Mr Carroll write books under?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisiblebigidiot
Stranger

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: phrozendata]
    #631719 - 05/15/02 12:27 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SUGGESTION: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll [Re: Anonymous]
    #632092 - 05/15/02 04:52 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

fuck yea...i'll read it with you...I was doubting that anybody would want to...we'll wait and see if any more people are interested before we start anything...I hope this is read sometime soon though

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not

Anonymous

#632102 - 05/15/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'll read it !!
Can't believe I've never had the chance...I should be ashamed of myself

~K~

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SUGGESTION: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll [Re: ]
    #632124 - 05/15/02 05:18 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I think this is a book i'de like to add to my collection. How many of you would also be interested in buying it. A really nice looking copy at amazon.com is only (mass market) is only 3.95 and Iguess the shroomery can get 15% of that?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451527747/qid=1021522761/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_71_4/102-6485772-8853746

or the hardcover is $11.89

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0448060043/qid=1021522761/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_71_5/102-6485772-8853746

p.s. anybody who is going to buy it through amazon wait untill the shroomery gets a link so they can get 15%

--------------------

Invisiblebigidiot
Stranger

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: phrozendata]
    #635171 - 05/18/02 06:32 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #635193 - 05/18/02 06:50 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

sure...i'll read it with you...but I dont have it yet!

this is just a book that I want to add to my personal collection thats all...you know what...i'm going to shower and shave and go down to my local library before work and see if I can get it....

--------------------

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #635262 - 05/18/02 08:04 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

What a bitch! I get all the way down to the library (on the other side of town) and they're closed...some holiday shit!

Whatever...I had a fun drive in my sisters crappy Mazda 323...cant wait to get my civic back!

--------------------

Invisibleoscill8
*bondage fairy*
    #635459 - 05/18/02 12:46 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

the annotated alice is an excellent choice if you choose to read alice in wonderland- its a completely annotated version of victorian jokes and in things carroll was throwing around... not only for scholars, totally accessible for most levels of reader.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393048470/qid=1021765557/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-2618816-1631006

--------------------
? oscill8 2001, 2002
"Any data submitted to Shroomery.org becomes our property"

Invisiblebigidiot
Stranger

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: oscill8]
    #636288 - 05/19/02 08:51 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #636388 - 05/19/02 10:24 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I guess you wont be waiting for me...so I cant discuss it with you...the library was closed again today!

--------------------

Offlinepsyko7862sex
Loc: deliverance Texas
    #636881 - 05/19/02 06:26 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I'm down to read it again. Wonderfull book, i have the version with both Alice in Wonderland and Through The looking glass. another verry trippy read. Just tell me when you want to start.
Kalu Kalay!

--------------------
Normally psyko78626

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SUGGESTION: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll [Re: psyko7862sex]
    #639386 - 05/21/02 02:43 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Guess what book I just got: OOOOOOO times up!

Alice in Wonderland!!! It's the stupid childrens copy so its super large print but o well so sad....

--------------------

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #639566 - 05/21/02 05:46 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, well in about 30 minutes (or less) of reading I have proceeded to Chapter VI (6). In my copy of the book I am on page 71, but since this is the large print childrens book, I wouldn't be suprised if this was only page 18(ish) on a regular book. Anyways, I guess as the starter of the thread and suggestion of this book it is my dutie to start some sort of discussion.

I would be glad if anybody would join us (as I understand BigIdiot and I are both reading this right now and a few other people are interested) and this is a very easy book to read (on a base level). However, the more the merryer and I have no doubt you could catch up in an instant.

Now, I will start discussion of the book openly...I am not going to set anything that I feel should be discussed but please contribute to other ideas as well as thinking of others.

My copy of this book has an interesting idea to an answer to the partially famous riddle (it appread on the simpsons I know that) "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?" I would like to hear some ideas and suggestions before I give the books suggestion to the answer to this riddle. However, as noted in the book, this riddle was originally invented and had no answer at all.

Furthermore, I would like to relate to a quote that struck my immediate interest. It read: "But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!"

Now, it is ovbious, espically for me having the "kids" version of the book, that on a base level this is a handsome little fairytale about Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. However, being discuessed on a website with the interest of drugs and espically mushrooms I would like to steer some (if not most) conversation towards the idea of tripping.

In the six chapters that I have read Alice has reffered many times to "feeling different" and she has already experience the Hookah smoking caterpillar that even suggest to her to eat the mushroom. Even more so, could Alice really be seeing all this (walking, talking animals etc.) or is it part of her trip?

I think somebody allready said that Lewis Carroll wrote this book while he was ON mushrooms. Now, I dont know if this is true or not, or, if he even used drugs but I would like to clear that up so if anybody could tell me (us) that would be great.

This exact picture is used in my book w/o the color. I dont know if that picture is the original colors or not but is that blue I see on the mushroom?

--------------------

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SUGGESTION: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll [Re: GabbaDj]
    #639569 - 05/21/02 05:48 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

GabbaDj wrote:

In reply to:

Trivia:... What other name did Mr Carroll write books under?

C. L. Dodgson ???

--------------------

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #639586 - 05/21/02 06:01 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

BigIdiot:

I'm sure that you having the annotated version is very great. I'm a little bit unfortunate over here, would love to have that, but the library only had this copy in. I'de like to discuss some of these annotations so if you want to suggest some of the good ones it'll help my understanding of this book. I have this for a little under a money and might read through it once more after the discussions for a greater understand...at the moment, even though i'm trying to go slowly, i'm sure that I am reading mostly at the base level and missing a lot of important stuff. Hey, i'm only a kid right?

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #639702 - 05/21/02 07:59 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

>C. L. Dodgson ??? <

Nay Phrozndata, Dogson was a mathematician who inspired Carroll...

Tell you the truth I cant find the alter identity of Carrol... I read it once in a book that compares great writers with their paper orders, either Carroll had another great poetry writer living with him, ordered paper for this man/woman or it was he himself who wrote what was written...

I have the book still but I have too many books, many in storage. I WILL find this one...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: SUGGESTION: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll [Re: GabbaDj]
    #639771 - 05/21/02 09:18 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Dodgson is Carrols real name.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder