Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: female circumcision on the rise here [Re: quiver]
    #6262431 - 11/08/06 04:48 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah that's it. :crazy2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: female circumcision on the rise here [Re: quiver]
    #6262737 - 11/08/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Everyone participating in this debate should see a circumcision performed in real time, especially with the sound turned up so you can hear the baby's gurgling screams of agony. Download the video here:

clicky

WARNING: The video is graphic.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: female circumcision on the rise here [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #6301849 - 11/20/06 06:39 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
thats from 1995

http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/eureka/Eureka_95/contents.html

This article is current. Fifty such cases in Sydney in the last year.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20701170-2,00.html

Girls mutilated for 'tradition'

November 05, 2006 12:00am

AT least 50 women who have undergone painful and illegal female circumcision have been treated at two Sydney hospitals in the past year.

Health workers fear a new generation of Australian-born girls are being forced to undergo the painful procedure by their migrant families to comply with cultural traditions.
Obstetricians and gynaecologists at Auburn Hospital have treated 38

patients with female circumcisions over the past year.

Canterbury Hospital also treats between 10 and 15 such patients a year.

All say they had the procedure done overseas but there are fears many more Australian women have undergone female genital mutilation (FGM) because it is unreported to authorities.

Health workers say there is evidence some parents are taking their daughters overseas or to secret practices within the country to have the procedure.

These are understood to involve both qualified doctors and untrained, backyard operations.

It is a criminal offence to remove a child from any Australian state or

territory and go abroad so they can have the procedure. The maximum penalty in NSW is seven years jail.

Health experts say better awareness campaigns are needed as many migrant families are unaware of the law.

NSW hospitals in areas with high immigrant populations - especially in southern and western Sydney - are increasingly seeing women with female circumcisions during pregnancies.

Samia Baho, who co-ordinates a family and reproductive rights education program, believes that the issue needs more public discussion.

"I am very concerned about communities not knowing about this legislation and taking young girls overseas to have the procedure done," she said.

"UNICEF is also finding that communities that never practised it before are doing it now because they are thinking: our girls are going to

Western societies so we need to keep control of them."

Dr Andrew Child, director of women's and children's health services at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, said a lot of work had been put into treating FGM.

A former president of the Royal Australian College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, he said: "It can be extremely difficult at times working out how to fix things and deliver a baby properly."

Dr Brian Morris, an expert on male circumcision, said FGM was "disgusting and shouldn't happen".

Christian Democrat MP Dr Gordon Moyes recently raised the issue in State Parliament and yesterday called on the Government to compel medical staff to report cases of female genital mutilation to police.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

Re: female circumcision on the rise here [Re: Veritas]
    #6304371 - 11/20/06 10:20 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
We are often blind to the faults of our own culture and/or religion. Studying world cultures and religions definitely opened my eyes to the practices and beliefs Americans take for granted. I highly recommend this course of study.

I don't understand (sorry I abandoned this thread when it turned towards anti-Islam for some reason I couldn't figure out) do you mean this as a reference to Islam or to FGM?

I definitely think it's important to try and understand the actual de facto workings of the Muslim world (anyone who's been to Turkey knows that some Muslim countries take Islam about as seriously as France takes Catholicism), however I cannot say the same for FGM.

I really have problems with the underlying beliefs that support FGM (NOT Islam, but the actual local beliefs in Sub-Saharan and East Africa). Ideas the suggest women can't handle their own sexuality, or even worse, that they cannot be trusted with their own bodies, really should not be "understood". They're simply outdated.

It's like trying to "understand" someone who believes colonization is the best method to educate the "barbarians" of the world. It's talk that belongs in centuries past.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: female circumcision on the rise here [Re: Economist]
    #6305881 - 11/27/06 07:35 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I was recommending becoming familiar with other cultures as a way to become more aware of our own. I was not referring to either Islam or FGM in particular, but to the tendency we all have to regard our own culture's practices as normal (no matter how barbaric they are), and other culture's practices as abnormal.

I do not think that we should all study the reasons for FGM/MGM in-depth prior to pushing for legislation against this form of child abuse.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds