Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

Loc: Pac Northwest
Cyan/Azure outdoor cultivation questions
    #6305470 - 11/27/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hello all,

I've read through every document I could find on this subject and I have some more advanced questions for you, but not too advanced to place this thread in the advanced mycology forum. I have some experience with general low tech cultivation and I was succeeding with azurescens last year, so I thought.

I germinated spores on pda agar last December, transferred to sterilized wheat a few weeks later, then transferred to a mix of alder and hazelnut. Full colonization was allowed in these steps and the mycelium was very aggressive. In early March(pac northwest) the spawn was spread out in a bed under a conifer bush with a 1:3 spawn to fresh chip ratio. The bed was kept wet year round.

This is where I feel I went wrong. I saw that the whole bed was fully colonized by June/July and decided to add more chips on top. However, the new layer that I added was only 1/4 to 1/2 inch more. Additionally, there was no cover foliage, just a thin layer of decomposing walnut leaves.

My conclusions as to why the bed did not or hasn't fruited yet:

Not enough cover/casing layer of some sort.
No or undesirable plant symbiosis.
Addition of extra wood chips too late in the colonization process.
Mycelium just needs an extra year to settle in.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and some advice from those who have had success in this venture.

--------------------
Once the sin against God was the greatest sin; but God has died, and those sinners died with him. To sin against the earth is now the most dreadful sin, and to esteem the entrails of the unknowable higher than the meaning of the earth!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

Re: Cyan/Azure outdoor cultivation questions [Re: Ubermensch]
    #6305795 - 11/27/06 07:05 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I realized that there are no questions in my first post. The main thing I want to know: Should I case the bed with something? More decomposing matter or should I attempt to get grass growing over it?

--------------------
Once the sin against God was the greatest sin; but God has died, and those sinners died with him. To sin against the earth is now the most dreadful sin, and to esteem the entrails of the unknowable higher than the meaning of the earth!

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6318033 - 11/29/06 07:13 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

There can be many reasons. The least desirable is that your mycelium is a weakened kind which does not produce fruit bodies. This, however, is rare.

Temperature is far more likely: you'll need a period of 5-10'C (20-30'F) temperatures before Cyanescens mushrooms will form.

Which one DO you got btw, Cyans or Azures? They're as different as horses and zebras.

Mushrooms tend to devote all available energy to colonize the entire substrate before they form fruit bodies. Perhaps your late addition of chips caused the substrate to not be completely colonized, so it might take another year.

My bet is on incomplete colonisation and temperatures unfit for fruiting.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cyan/Azure outdoor cultivation questions [Re: Asante]
    #6318614 - 11/29/06 12:06 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

how deep was the the substrate? I find that anything over 3 inchs thick wont fruit.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

Re: Cyan/Azure outdoor cultivation questions [Re: Asante]
    #6318633 - 11/29/06 12:11 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

This grow attempt was with azures. The additional wood chips I added in the summer were fully colonized before September, which leads me to look for other problems such as cover and pests. The past month I've been really busy with school and haven't checked the bed often, but the slugs have been there when I have. I can imagine there are many more reasons why this didn't work. This up coming year I'll try cyans and azures and try not to botch the grow by adding more substrate later on, which may have been one of my problems.

--------------------

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

#6318641 - 11/29/06 12:13 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Substrate was around 2 inches and spread in a 3' by 3' area.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6318713 - 11/29/06 12:36 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

It wasn't the best of years in the PNW for cyans/azures. The rains were delayed, then it got very cold early. Next year should be better. I think you also might want to cut back on the watering. Azures/cyans need to dry out quite a bit during the summer months. Remember, they're native of the PNW where it is almost drought conditions from May to Sept when the rains finally come. The drought, followed by the cold rain is the major pinning trigger for these species.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

Re: Cyan/Azure outdoor cultivation questions [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6318812 - 11/29/06 01:26 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Good point Roger. I did water the hell out of it year round. This has something to do with it colonizing so fast. I'll keep that in mind with this upcoming years projects.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale