Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefullnelsondnb
Stranger
 User Gallery
NEED HELP! Noob Questions concerning overlay and stunted growth
    #6297033 - 11/18/06 02:12 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys, this is my first cake with fruiting bodies. The spores syringe i ordered was labeled Cubensis, cambodian. I've had poor germination results. Out of about 17 jars inoculated, only 6 or so were fully colonized. The rest showed no growth. Germination war poor and only 1 jar has spore germination in the area of 2 holes (out of the 4 holes poked in the jar lid). The other 5 jars had germination in only 1 area. This poor geremination caused a long colonization time. Eventually the jars were colonized and placed in my terrarium.

My terrarium setup:

Im using a big tubberware box and lid with a cool mist humidifier. The box is opaque and the lid is too. To allow light to get in the box i cut a square foot hole in the lid and replaced it with transparent plexi glass. I use a 40 watt light bulb as my light source. To try to reduce saturation i use 4 soda bottles as condensers. This means that between the output of my humidifier and my terrarium, there are 4, 2 liter soda bottles used to reduce the mist. My hygrometer and thermometer inside the terrarium indicates a consistent 98% humidity and 74 degree temperature. Pinning occured on only 1 cake (out of 3 placed in the terrarium, the other 3 cakes were cased and results are pending) At first the mycelium on this cake was fluffly. Mushrooms started growing everywhere from it. It looked healthy but lately im concerned.

The mycelium in areas where there are no fruiting bodies growing has hardened (consistent with descriptions of overlay). The mushrooms are very small, and grey. pictures included (i apologize for the crappy resolution). Now what i've seen of cambodian cubensis online leads me to believe that i should be getting an off white stem and a brown cap, and that they should be fairly large. My mushrooms are about a week old (from pinning) and they are small, 4mm at the base and 2mm below the cap. The largest cap is about 5 mm in diameter. The base of the mushrooms is white and looks like it's covered in mycelium. I still have some fluffy areas of mycelium on the cake but these are concentrated mostly at the base of the cake, below mushroom clusters.

Is the humidity of my terrarium too high? Should i increase the temperature of my terrarium. I Fan the terrarium daily. I also use an angled piece of plexiglass to prevent drops from falling on the cakes.

Why are my mushrooms grey and tiny? is this normal? They might not look grey in the pictures, but they are haze greyish, like a cloud or navy ship.

Pictures included.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: NEED HELP! Noob Questions concerning overlay and stunted growth [Re: fullnelsondnb]
    #6297125 - 11/18/06 02:53 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Overlay is a condition that pertains to a casing - it does not apply to cakes.

Your humidity is not too high. Cakes require a high humidity level to produce optimally.

Your images are hard to see but judging from what I can make out I'd say that your air exchange is inadequate. The long skinny stems indicate a high level of CO2.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: NEED HELP! Noob Questions concerning overlay and stunted growth [Re: dog]
    #6297694 - 11/18/06 06:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dog said:
Overlay is a condition that pertains to a casing - it does not apply to cakes.

Your humidity is not too high. Cakes require a high humidity level to produce optimally.

Your images are hard to see but judging from what I can make out I'd say that your air exchange is inadequate. The long skinny stems indicate a high level of CO2.

Without a doubt.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinefullnelsondnb
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: NEED HELP! Noob Questions concerning overlay and stunted growth [Re: hyphae]
    #6303309 - 11/20/06 04:08 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

First off thanks for your replies!

Ok, so a constant 98% humidity isn't too high?, I realize that the cakes require a high humidity. The literature I read said about 85-92% humidity. I read somewhere else that too much humidity will mat down the mycelium and it will eventually harden. Anyone know anything about this? Regardless, I'll try poking some holes in the terrarium for gas exchange, that should also lower humidity a tad as well.

Any other suggestions? What about an air pump (like a fish tank pump)?

Is 74 degrees F ok for the temperature?

Any help is welcome!

Offlineblueshroprachaun
Student Of The Spore 2y2l
 User Gallery

Re: NEED HELP! Noob Questions concerning overlay and stunted growth [Re: fullnelsondnb]
    #6303418 - 11/20/06 04:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Holes with polyfill or micropore tape works well for FAE - IME.

--------------------
"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous." - Paracelsus,  the father of toxicology

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract