Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
18 gallon PF worm casting/straw grow
    #6295064 - 11/17/06 07:33 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I started out with 1 quart of PF that I did a grain transfer to 8 more quarts. The new quarts were done in about 5 days.

Next I filled a pillowcase most of the way full half with worm castings and half with straw and pastuerized it by boiling it at 175 for 2 hours in a pot of water with a brick on top to make sure it stayed under water. After the 2 hours were up I took the pillow case out of the water and put it on my oven rack to drip dry over night. I've heard some people have problems pastureizing worm castings this way as it gets to muddy after being submerged in water but I had no problems after I let it dry over night.

I have have spawned to straw and worm castings before but this time I wanted to try something big so I decided to turn my TiT into a grow chamber (it is getting very cold where I am located so this was the only way I could think of to incubate something of this size). Next I dumped the contents of the pillow case into the 18 gallon rubbermaid tub and mixed in the 8 quarts of colonized rye PF strain. I put the lid on the tub and cranked the fish tank heater in the lower tub up to 84 degrees monday morning.

It is now friday and I can't believe the straw/castings mix is already fully colonized. I didn't measure the depth of the sub but I'd guess it to be at least 5 inches I was really surprised how fast the myc ripped through. I wil be casing it tonight with 50/50 verm/coir and hope to have it in fruiting conditions by the middle of the week. Ill keep you guys posted of the progress and hopefully I can get some pics up once something interesting starts happening.

If this goes according to plan I don't think I am ever going to mess with doing small casings ever again, without much more effort you can seriously increase your yield. I definitely reccomend a high ratio of spawn to sub so you don't have to wait long for it to colonize.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona Bay
Re: 18 gallon PF worm casting/straw grow [Re: disturbed]
    #6295081 - 11/17/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I like WC as an additive but not too much in the 50% range.

I did the TiT / FC for my pan's b/c they require more heat, just watch out that the bottom might get burned of the sub because WC has a good amount of nitrogen in it.

What I did for my pans was a regular TIT then a Tub that fit snug in there only during fruiting stages

GL show some pics and keep us updated :smile:

--------------------

Ronhero on the Growery is me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix