Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Everything is starting to catch up.
    #6285289 - 11/15/06 08:59 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

In the last 4 months or so, I've sold most of my possesions, moved across the country and began working 2 days after I moved.  I haven't really had a chance to stop and think we're I'm at.

Lately, my life is getting up, going to work to finish my apprenticeship, coming home, incredibly tired and wanting to just sit back, enjoy a few beers, play some WoW, smoke a bowl, and head to bed.  That's all.

But, there's this nagging feeling like everything is passing by.  I'm really just too exhausted to go out and do anything and I know I won't be able to for awhile, til I still get everything worked out with this new restaurant.  I mean, I'm only 21, yet I don't really have the desire to go and hang out in bars, or to really go out much.  I have my buddies come over here, or I go over to one of their homes.  Just a really fun get together.

I guess I'm just feeling weird because a few years ago I would have loved to gone drinking on a whim, to go hang out and such.  But...now, I'm just so tired, so very tired and just feel like chilling most of the time.  Hell, I've lost 25 lbs in the last 2 months due to all that is going on.  I kinda just feel like I'm the only one in my early 20's who has no life other than work and trying to get his life together.  Its driving me mad.

I just thought I'd write it out on here.  All of you guys are pretty intelligent and know what you're talking about most of the time. :grin:

I had to let that out.

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Everything is starting to catch up. [Re: License_to_Chill]
    #6285435 - 11/15/06 09:51 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

You are ahead of the curve my friend... Most people your age are consumed with "going out", but they are still too young to have a good time... they just don't know it. Plus, they are just blowing their money in a time when people NEED to be saving it.

Pay your dues early, while you have the stamina. You have PLENTY of time to enjoy life, but get yourself settled in and more importantly, get some cash piled up. Later in life, you'll be "going out" with more purpose, more money and more freedom than you ever thought possible.

I'm 32, and my 20's were spent fucking around and building a shitload of debt. Now I am working my ass off to get back to square one, and I no longer have the getupandgo of a strapping young 21 year old. I'd rather be chilling out, but bills have to be paid. I look back and cringe wishing I had a chance to do it differently...

You are on the right track. Take a 2 day break to collect yourself if you need to, but stick to the plan and look ahead to the fun times. :smile:

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: Everything is starting to catch up. [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6285473 - 11/15/06 10:03 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, I was all about "going out and drinking/partying" when I was 17-19.  Now, that I'm out on my own with no finicial support, or any support for that matter...including my family, I feel that I have to be doing this.  Also, like you said, I don't feel like blowing my money the whole time. 

Right now, I'm a Chef's Apprentice, hand-picked from a Master Chef with over 30 years experience in France, Switzerland, and Germany.  Its well worth the effort, since he's passing down his knowledge.  But, there's a shitload of work and hours.  TONS.  16 hour days, plus trying to manage a life is tough.  But, I'm getting there.  Very slowly. 

I'm also saving most of it.  But, there are a few luxuries I'm allowing myself.  First, a beast of a gaming PC.  Next are all my supplies to get my little, self-sustaining ganja grow up and running again.

Its just annoying and incredibly frustrating, getting up and doing the same thing over and over and over again.  But, I know most of you know what thats about already.  I wish I had two days to stop and think.  But, right now its just 2 other guys and I running an entire kitchen.  And its growing even more popular.  The sad thing is we can't get anyone willing to work those hours with us.  Oh well...work in 2 more hours. :grin:

Thanks for the advice, Rooster.  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#6285539 - 11/15/06 10:18 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

If you want some advice, sell that "beast of a gaming PC" and get an Xbox or similar console. You are going to be forever stuck in the "video card/memory/processor upgrade" bullshit. Everyone needs to indulge themselves, but those PCs are like a money pit. Besides, multiplayer cheating is too easy on a PC!

I have been playing video games literally sice Pong... I play them everyday in fact, and it's one of my favorite hobbies. I switched over to console gaming and never looked back. It's a shitload cheaper, way easier, less buggy and less time consuming. Plus, online opponents have a much harder time cheating, which PISSES ME OFF. :smile:

You may feel like you are totally into PC games, but trust me, you'll find something awesome on a console and completely forget PC games. I walk through the electronics section and don't even glance at PC games anymore. I simply buy an Xbox game that I know will work as soon as I drop it in... no drivers, no minimum reqs, no install bullshit and no problems. When I'm done, I trade it in for $30-35 and get a new one!

On the career, stick to the chef route if you can. I know guys who worked their way up, and they make very nice money... It's stressful and takes a long time, but that's a career that really has a decent ROI. If you have a master chef learning you, double plus! There is no education in the world that compares to hands on experience with a master. Seriously.

Next time you get a chance, smoke a bowl and take a long walk. Just keep thinking about your future, and how great it will be. And always remember, nothing that's worth anything is free... You gotta pay yer dues. In fact, I should be working right now. hehe.

BTW, as soon as I get home, I'll be off fragging people in Gears of War or ripping it up in Tony Hawk's Project 8. :smile:

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

#6285590 - 11/15/06 10:28 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I know about the cycle with upgrades, lol.  Doesn't bother me too much.  I use my computer like an entertainment center.  Music, work, internet, gaming, movies, downloads, etc. 

Besides, my roommate has an Xbox 360, and gonna be getting the PS3 when it comes out.  So, we're set there. :smile:

Yea, it is nice about someone willing to teach me.  He'll be leaving after the Bistro is setup to go teach.  He just recieved his Master's degree and wants to teach.  So, more than likely I'll be attending his class in the future.  Way too pricey for me at this point in time.  But, I do love to cook and managing a kitchen like that.  And they do make decent money as well.  As long as I can live comfortably, then it'll be worth it.

I'll be paying my dues for awhile to come, but no worries.  I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Its just really rough getting there sometimes.  I love to do that...taking walks after smoking a bowl.  Once I get my grow back up, I'll be set with all the little delicious nugs once more.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #6285882 - 11/15/06 12:00 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

What you're talking about reminds me of my own restlessness that is just related to unexpressed creativity that wells up within me, I don't think switching to an X-box 360 is gonna solve your problems.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: Everything is starting to catch up. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6285937 - 11/15/06 12:19 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

haha... I was just trying to save him some money. A 360 won't do anything but provide an affordable, and stress free gaming experience. I was under the impression that he only used his massive PC for gaming.

The bowl and long walk will do more for his problems. :smile:

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #6286008 - 11/15/06 12:41 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

how does one become a chef? i already have a BA in Studio Art, sculpture to be exact. would this help me in becoming a chef?

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: Everything is starting to catch up. [Re: Syle]
    #6286062 - 11/15/06 12:58 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

It may give you a creative advantage in pastry arts... I knew a girl who spent all day making wedding cakes and getting paid. There is definately a scupture/artsy aspect to making big cakes and various pastries.

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: Everything is starting to catch up. [Re: Syle]
    #6287564 - 11/15/06 09:00 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Syle said:
how does one become a chef? i already have a BA in Studio Art, sculpture to be exact. would this help me in becoming a chef?

Generally, just enter a Culinary School.  Most are like vocational schools.  Or, start out as dishwasher, pay your dues, and slowly but surely be trained in all aspects of the kitchen.  :grin: :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblekake Happy Birthday!
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
    #6291879 - 11/16/06 09:39 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I know how you feel man. I moved across the country, found a job. I work 50-55 hours a week. I've only been working for a couple months now so I don't feel like shit is passing me by yet, but I think about that all the time... that I'm missing out on something.

I think it also boils down to what Robot said - my job isn't something that requires a lot of creativity, and that adds to the general feeling that I'm not fulfilling my potential or doing a job I really love. But, being 22, I guess I can't really complain... everyone puts in their dues blah blah blah.

Add the fact that I don't have any close friends out here and it makes me even less motivated to go out and do stuff since I'm usually by myself.

I dunno... I think RoosterCogburn is right in a lot of ways. I enjoy the fact that I actually have a positive flow of income now, rather than just spending and watching the bank account dwindle.

I go out on the weekends and party, and that keeps me entertained enough. It also helps me keep things in moderation, which we all know isn't something humans in this age do particularly well. And after 4 years of hardcore party every night work hard every day (COLLEGE) it is sort of a breath of fresh air to NOT have those temptations constantly.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Everything is starting to catch up. [Re: kake]
    #6292125 - 11/16/06 10:26 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i need a job... i could do the prep work? maybe you mean a real cook.

but for real... just get out of your rut. if you do the same thing each day try something new. go sit in a church on sunday and see what people are doing/ thinking.

"I wish I had two days to stop and think."

i've been doing that for 2 years. be thankful you have so much money. save it so you can spend some time later thinking

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals