Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire.
    #6285452 - 11/15/06 09:57 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Years ago before the term 'psychedelic' was settled on there was just a phenomenological description, these things were called 'consciousness expanding drugs'. Well, I think that's a very good term. Think about our dilemma on this planet. If the expansion of consciousness does not loom large in the human future, what kind of future is it going to be? To my mind the psychedelic position is most fundamentally threatening when fully logically thought out because it is an anti-drug position - and make no mistake about it, the issue is drugged. How drugged shall you be? Or, to put it another way, consciousness, how conscious shall you be? Who shall be conscious? Who shall be unconscious? Imagine if the Japanese had won World War II, taken over America, and introduced an insidious drug which caused the average American to spend six and a half hours a day consuming enemy propaganda. But this is what was done. Not by the Japanese, by ourselves. This is television. Six and a half hours a day! Average! That's the average! So there must be people out there hooked on twenty-four hours a day; or I visit people in L.A. who have one set on in every room so they're racking up a lot of time for the rest of us. You see what is needed is an operational awareness of what we mean by drug. A drug is something which causes unexamined, obsessive, habituated behavior. You don't examine your behavior, you just do it. You do it obsessively. You let nothing get in the way of it. This is the kind of life we're being sold on every level. To watch, to consume, to buy. The psychedelic thing is off in this tiny corner, never mentioned, and yet it represents the only counterflow toward a tendency to just leave people in designer states of consciousness. Not their designers, but the designers of Madison Avenue, the Pentagon, so forth and so on. This is really happening.

Quote:

It's only in western civilization that you get this steady focus on this monotheistic ideal, and working out the implications of what is essentially a pathologial personality pattern. The pattern of the omnicient, omnipresent, all-knowing, wrathful male diety. No one you would invite to your garden party.

Quote:

I can't preach Scientism cause I don't believe it. I can't preach Buddhism cause I can't understand it. The only thing I can preach is the felt presence of immediate experience which for me came through the psychedelics, which are not drugs but plants. It's a perversion of language to try to derail this thing into talk of drugs. There are spirits in the natural world that come to us in this way and so far as I can tell this is the only way that they come to us that is rapid enough for it to have an impact upon us as a global population.

Quote:

Apparently there is a great discovery or insight which our culture is deliberately designed to supress, distort and ignore. That is that Nature is some kind of minded entity. That Nature is not simply the random flight of atoms through electromagnetic fields. Nature is not the empty, despiritualized lumpen matter that we inherit from modern physics. But it is instead a kind of intelligence, a kind of mind.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6285501 - 11/15/06 10:11 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

He may have been a crackpot, but so is everyone to some extent. At least he was eloquent about it.

Dude talked a lot of sense if you ask me.

--------------------

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

Re: Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6285505 - 11/15/06 10:12 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Crackpots everywhere should be honored to be in such illustrious company.
In fact by calling McKenna a crackpot you have turned that word into a compliment.

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
    #6285890 - 11/15/06 12:03 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Some interesting ideas there.

I wouldnt mind reading some more, but only if its waffle free. I find these psychedelic preachers tend to waffle on like mothefuckas

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire. [Re: Cepheus]
    #6286598 - 11/15/06 04:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

psychedelics = waffles.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6286623 - 11/15/06 04:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

why don't you give up and just say hes cool :rolleyes:
damn new yorkers always gotta think they are ten steps ahead of jebus :cranky:

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire. [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6286700 - 11/15/06 04:50 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
psychedelics = waffles.

What's the context here?

--------------------

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
    #6286770 - 11/15/06 05:13 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I think the man had some great ideas. I have all of his books and have really enjoyed reading them. Some very insightful stuff in those books.

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
Re: Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire. [Re: Spooge]
    #6286890 - 11/15/06 05:43 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

heres some cool videos of him on google video.

i like him very much, not sure ild call him a crackpot, even if he is one, i have too much respect for him and his work.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=terrence+mckenna&so=0

Male

Re: Terence McKenna was a crackpot, but he's got some fanfuckingtastic quotes in his repertoire. [Re: Spooge]
    #6288105 - 11/15/06 11:39 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I know, I need to listen to his lectures and stuff some more. I find him really fascinating but I always keep him at an arm's length, like insanity bearing down upon me from some endless rippling chaos, etc, etc.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
    #6288119 - 11/15/06 11:42 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Oh yea, totally. A lot of the stuff can be very influencing in an insane way  :grin:

I have pretty much all his best confrence recordings on mp3.  On holidays I listened to that cd for ever in a stoned stupor.

I definetely think it's worth it to anyone to listen/read some terrence mckenna.

f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #6288808 - 11/16/06 08:33 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I agree. I have hours and hours of his lectures and pretty much every video that I can find.

There's a thin line between insanity and genius, he never crossed either side, he was always on the line.

He and Robert Anton Wilson changed my life for the better, no doubt about it.

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Male

#6288812 - 11/16/06 08:34 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Pfft he definitely dips into the insanity pool at times.

Where's a good spot to download lectures from?

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #6289233 - 11/16/06 10:51 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Pfft he definitely dips into the insanity pool at times.

if you are interested in terence at all you have to be fully prepared to delb deep into the insanity pool.

thats why he is my favorite speaker. first hes making a really exelent point about why or what or how. and then all of a sudden he starts building his synaptic momentum and all of a sudden hes talking about octiuses telepathic abilities :grin:

--------------------

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
    #6290213 - 11/16/06 02:45 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Oh he for sure does delve into insanity at times, but I think it's needed and somehow still manages to make a point out of it.

A lot of the sites don't have his recordings anymore, but I found this....

http://www.futurehi.net/media.html
This seems like the best one.

http://mckenna.psychedelic-library.org/

This is where I downloaded all mine, but most of them, not all, are not there anymore.

http://deoxy.org/media/McKenna

http://deoxy.org/mckenna.htm#video

f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #6290857 - 11/16/06 06:05 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:

Get on Soulseek and download from me.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order