Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArcofaJourney
Internaltransportationdevice
 User Gallery
Loc: your imagination
Confused about misting casing
    #6280320 - 11/13/06 08:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, i really tried to avoid asking this dumb question thats probably been asked 4 billion times already, but i've searched for info on this and read hyphae's tek on it but i'm getting conflicting answers. SO...my friend has a casing that is beginning pinning, should she or shouldn't she continue to mist the casing? i've read that you should stop when pinset forms and then continue once fruiting starts. Is this right? Should she stop now in the very early pinning stage? Its been in the FC 4 days and has just started pinning. Is this an OK timeline?

Thanks for your help. aaaaiish...its like a contant stream of worry.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
Re: Confused about misting casing [Re: ArcofaJourney]
    #6280357 - 11/13/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

sounds good. I never ever mist during pinning. I may mist a little bit once the mushrooms are atleast 2 inches tall, but very little

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

InvisibleFeanor
 User Gallery

#6280362 - 11/13/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Wait until your pins are about 1/4in to 1/2in and then begin misting again. Good luck! That's some quick pinnage!

--------------------

May Terence McKenna Live Long

The DMT Chronicles

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Confused about misting casing [Re: mushnoon]
    #6280368 - 11/13/06 08:39 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

mist the hell out of it. 99% of the pics here show overlay and poor pin set. Keep it moist, wet! If you have more then one casing and you are not sure then mist the shit out of one and do what you want with the other. Then tell me which one produces more

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
Re: Confused about misting casing [Re: tahoe]
    #6280430 - 11/13/06 08:53 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

they're about a 1/4 inch now, she's been keeping them wet, well glistening anyway after every fan she mists.

Also, let me rephrase, since this is her first ever grow, she thinks she has pins....pointy things with brownish caps poking through the casing and myc...pretty sure that's pinnage!!!

Temps have been between 69-74, at night the temp drops and goes up during the day, but always in that range. RH is 95-98%

Hey thanks for your help everyone, this place rocks!! i'll keep updating.

i guess i'll tell her to keep doing what she's doing...

She has some more casings ready to come out of the incubator too!!!

Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
    #6280435 - 11/13/06 08:54 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

maybe drop your RH a little bit. Im very skeptical of misting pins, sounds like a bad idea.

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
    #6280482 - 11/13/06 09:08 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

OK here's a pic, don't worry that shadow is my stupid head again!

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
    #6280497 - 11/13/06 09:13 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

see...even within this thread there are lots of conflicting answers.

InvisiblemrEdude
enemy of the state

Loc: Canada
    #6280580 - 11/13/06 09:36 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Try everything once then, and decide for yourself.

Mist the lid of the chamber and not the mushrooms directly, that should eliminate most people's worries re misting shrooms. From what I have deduced, high humidity is great but water on the fruits is not.

Rok.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
    #6280599 - 11/13/06 09:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Some people stop misting after pinning begins. Some keep misting throughout the whole process. Some mist throughout the whole process, but they use a fancy pump-up sprayer to get a very fine spray, while others just mist indirectly.

If you do keep misting, do it indirectly. You'll hit a fork in the road in almost every process of this hobby. It doesn't mean that one way is right and the other is wrong. Everyone has very different conditions and what works for some might not work for others, likewise, a few different things might all work for a person. In your first grow or two, give lots of things a try to see what suits you best.

Do as tahoe said, try misting one and not misting the other, if you have more than tray to spare. Also avoid the obvious: Don't water-log your casings. You don't want puddles of water standing on your casing layers. You also don't want to be spraying pins directly. I mean as long as you're not sitting there with a Super Soaker aimed directly at your pins from 2" away, this hobby is pretty forgiving.

Edited by Quake3 (11/13/06 09:51 PM)

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
Re: Confused about misting casing [Re: Quake3]
    #6280607 - 11/13/06 09:47 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Quake3 said:
Some people stop misting after pinning begins. Some keep misting throughout the whole process. Some mist throughout the whole process, but they use a fancy pump-up sprayer to get a very fine spray, while others just mist indirectly.

If you do keep misting, do it indirectly. You'll hit a fork in the road in almost every process of this hobby. It doesn't mean that one way is right and the other is wrong. Everyone has very different conditions and what works for some might not work for others, likewise, a few different things might work for a person, somethings a little better than others.

Do as Helltick said, try misting one and not misting the other, if you have more than tray to spare.

Yes, this seems to be the case. Since she'll have 4 or 5 casing on her hand she plans to diversify. Trying several different methods. Whatever one works best is what she'll do in the future. We'd really like this first tray to come out good though...it's been a long while  :wink:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #6281512 - 11/14/06 06:37 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Misting during primordia formation can result in damage if done improperly read my pinning strategy and also about overlay in my sig. This will explain the do/don'ts in water delivery.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Confused about misting casing [Re: hyphae]
    #6281519 - 11/14/06 06:43 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I just got done misting a few that just went into the fc,its tricky you just have to mist very lightly and let the droplets fall on the surface

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
Re: Confused about misting casing [Re: Blutjager]
    #6281691 - 11/14/06 08:25 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yes, thats what she's been doing...allowing a fine mist to float in the air above the casing as it settles into the casing.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #6282128 - 11/14/06 11:36 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ArcofaJourney said:
yes, thats what she's been doing...allowing a fine mist to float in the air above the casing as it settles into the casing.

Now remember this type of light misting requires more frequent mistings because they are so light but it makes for optimal water delivery just like an ultrasonic or coolmist.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineArcofaJourney
 User Gallery
Re: Confused about misting casing [Re: hyphae]
    #6282148 - 11/14/06 11:44 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

ok hyphae, we'll keep doing that, although we're starting to get worried about the casing. it really hasn't changed in the past two days and there seems to be a light greyish fuzz on the myc is this casing a bust or am i just over worried?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder