Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelawbreaker
Stranger
how i got contaminated- tips
    #621253 - 04/28/02 11:13 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I always am careful to avoid contams. My work area when mixing jar ingredients gets sprayed with lysol, all heat/ air cond gets turned off etc. I sterilize everything. When I case in a humidified terrarium, I use hydrogen peroxide in the perlite. I have never had to deal with contams as a result until recently.

Here is how it happened:

I began storing the terariums on the top shelf of a walk in closet. This closet in on the upper level of my home. Immediately outside the window in the closet I have a soffit and fascia that have mold/fungus growing on them due to a large tree shading the house and keeping things damp. The mold is blackish.

One fine day my wife opened the window upstairs to air the house out and I took down the terrarium and proceded to fan it. I didn't even think about the mold growing on the house outside. Suprise, I then had black mold growing on the terrarium inside. A little wiping down and a spray or two with hydrogen perxide took care of things, but it could have been much worse.

As I think about it, my basement has a few spots of something growing on the wall corners. Some of my windows have mold on the wood. If you look around your place you probably have some "stuff" growing in some areas as well. This stuff *is* in the air. And if you expose your grow to it, it will grow inside of your growing area.

For those starting to grow, consider the area you will have your cakes/casings. When you open the terrarium cover to air them out, is the surrounding air pure? I doubt it. Lysol and hydrogen peroxide are the shroom growers best friend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedelysid_1
journeyman
Re: how i got contaminated- tips [Re: lawbreaker]
    #621803 - 04/28/02 10:53 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

And isopropyl alchohol is a must. Instead of lysol my freind just spays IPA in the air and all around. Much cheaper, plus you can spray it all over and it just evaprates.

--------------------
"Catholic church molestation scandel- the lord works in mysterius ways indeed........"

-delysid_1

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: how i got contaminated- tips [Re: delysid_1]
    #623150 - 04/30/02 11:25 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I switched to IPA from lysol because it is much much cheaper and works just as well. Just remember to make sure all those flames are out before you start spraying alcohol into the air or you can end up with a big fireball instead of a sterile work area.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineLostAtHome
Stranger
Re: how i got contaminated- tips [Re: Seuss]
    #627744 - 05/12/02 10:48 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hehe fire, the ultimate sterlizing tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder